Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the world's best skyline?
Chicago 64 19.51%
Dubai 19 5.79%
Hong Kong 120 36.59%
New York City 107 32.62%
Shanghai 11 3.35%
Tokyo 7 2.13%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Hong Kong is certainly the best overall, especially considering the multiple angles, the harbor setting, the night-lighting, and the hills in the background. It's a combination of the skyline itself and its geographic placement, though the skyline alone is also very impressive.
I like the split, how both sides of the water have an enormous length of skyline with the natural scenery in the area. It's the best well rounded skyline I have ever seen in person.

I give Hong Kong mad props on it's skyline, but the buildings when your in the area and walking around are all modern architecture unlike New York City and Chicago which both have large buildings with traditional architecture Hong Kong does not, but I still like it the best, I like modern buildings more overall but I do like some traditional towers in there too for diversity.

Hong Kong = Stunner skyline, the largest and the best in the world, IMHO (The best part being my opinion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Hong Kong

Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I've always liked Sao Paolo. This is completely personal preference.

Ken Eisner, Flickr

Fernando Stunkuns, Flickr

""

i Catch, Flickr

paulo Jose, Flickr

So I'd put it:
1. Sao Paolo
2. Hong Kong
3. Chicago
4. Seoul
5. Rio De Janeiro
6. Tokyo
7. Osaka
8. Miami
9. Santiago

I really like ones with high rises, I think it adds so much density and character.
I agree...... not. You can't be serious. Yeah, Sao PAOLO, and their uninspiring, bland, completely similar condos look so great! That's sarcasm, for those who can't tell. Then Rio De Janiero?, Miami, Santiago for crying out loud. But of course no NY. Who wants goth, modern, classical, etc architecture when you can have bland Miami beach style condos....At least you have Chicago on here, but I would never guess that you just don't like NY.

You can't be serious?! Not really a question.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
It's called an opinion.............

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I agree...... not. You can't be serious. Yeah, Sao PAOLO, and their uninspiring, bland, completely similar condos look so great! That's sarcasm, for those who can't tell. Then Rio De Janiero?, Miami, Santiago for crying out loud. But of course no NY. Who wants goth, modern, classical, etc architecture when you can have bland Miami beach style condos....At least you have Chicago on here, but I would never guess that you just don't like NY.

You can't be serious?! Not really a question.
Well this thread is entirely subjective. It's about which skyline you feel is the best in the world, not which one is statistically the best in the world.

I don't see anything wrong with his list, I don't agree with it either, but I'm not going to shoot down his personal list.

Personally I don't like the buildings in New York City's skyline either, but I do love the mass amount of buildings there though. I like Hong Kong, Chicago, Miami more than I like New York City's skyline, because those buildings and skyline styles appeal more to me. Anyone to say I'm being delusional is delusional themselves by trying to shoot down my preference.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Hong Kong then Dubai then Chicago.

Well let's close the thread. He has spoken!

So many on here, just come on and say Hong Kong and or Dubai as if their opinion is fact, yet give no reasons to back it up. Im not saying you can't have your opinion, but why not some explanations since you are so sure about yourself.

I'll say this about Hong Kong. It would definately get my vote if I wanted a Miami Beach condo style setting. But I prefer darker, classical, gothic set architecture with substance. I prefer a skyline which has skyscrapers older than me. Sorry Dubai. I prefer a skyline with depth. Every building doesn't look the same. No offense to you Sao Paolo. I prefer a skyline with integrity, no pun intended Hong Kong. A skyline where they weren't just built in bunchs "cough, Dubai" as for stata quo or to join the race. I prefer a skyline with heart. A skyline in which the REST OF THE WORLD WAS FORCED TO LOOK UP AND TAKE NOTICE. Not a copycat. Not an imitation. Not forgotten.

I guess I'll go with NY. Don't you east coast hating, midwest bubble gum chewing, asian eat dog as chicken blundering, ring worm seeking haters can all chime in at once. WE HATE NY.

Heck, some of you would put Phoenix above NY. Because let's face it. NY sucks right. Phoenix's unigue balance of dessert and hay just make for that unigue type of setting. Sure and My name is Wally Midwestipliar.

P.S. None of the opinions expressed here are facts. They are just my opinion. My opinions are by no means a reflection of City-Data.

disclaimer, but if city-data were smart...he he he, they'd share my same opinion....

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-21-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
.....wtf...

Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Well this thread is entirely subjective. It's about which skyline you feel is the best in the world, not which one is statistically the best in the world.

I don't see anything wrong with his list, I don't agree with it either, but I'm not going to shoot down his personal list.

Personally I don't like the buildings in New York City's skyline either, but I do love the mass amount of buildings there though. I like Hong Kong, Chicago, Miami more than I like New York City's skyline, because those buildings and skyline styles appeal more to me. Anyone to say I'm being delusional is delusional themselves by trying to shoot down my preference.

I agree, cause Miami's architecture is world class....

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Hong kong's skyline looks like five skyscrapers surrounded by a bunch of ugly residential buildings
Something tells me you either mistaken Clean Polo's photo as Hong Kong or you haven't been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Hong Kong is certainly the best overall, especially considering the multiple angles, the harbor setting, the night-lighting, and the hills in the background. It's a combination of the skyline itself and its geographic placement, though the skyline alone is also very impressive.
Your description pretty much says it all in this picture and is the reason I think Hong Kong has the best skyline in the world.

Courtesy of Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xavibarca/3836000864/sizes/o/in/set-72157614744639280/ - broken link)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Well let's close the thread. He has spoken!

So many on here, just come on and say Hong Kong and or Dubai as if their opinion is fact, yet give no reasons to back it up. Im not saying you can't have your opinion, but why not some explanations since you are so sure about yourself.

I'll say this about Hong Kong. It would definately get my vote if I wanted a Miami Beach condo style setting. But I prefer darker, classical, gothic set architecture will substance. I prefer a skyline which has skyscrapers older than me. Sorry Dubai. I prefer a skyline with depth. Every building doesn't look the same. No offense to you Sao Paolo. I prefer a skyline with integrity, no pun intended Hong Kong. A skyway where they weren't just built in bunchs "cough, Dubai" as for stata quo or to join the race. I prefer a skyline with heart. A skyline in which the REST OF THE WORLD WAS FORCED TO LOOK UP AND TAKE NOTICE. Not a copycat. Not an imitation. Not forgotten.

I guess I'll go with NY. Don't you east coast hating, midwest bubble gum chewing, asian eat dog as chicken blundering, ring worm seeking haters can all chime in at once. WE HATE NY.

Heck, some of you would put Phoenix above NY. Because let's face it. NY sucks right. Phoenix's unigue balance of dessert and hay just make for that unigue type of setting. Sure and My name is Wally Midwestipliar.

If I
I think you need to calm down. I don't hate NYC, if I did, I would say so, I really don't care what people here think and I try to be as open about how I feel about a place as possible, I actually like the city a lot, but it isn't my favorite, or even second, or third or fourth.

I don't like the buildings in New York City, I don't really understand why that's so hard for you to swallow, not everyone has to like your city the best, and I sure as hell don't.

Grow out of your "NYC is the best and you have to like it" mentality. I like it, but you're just overdoing it, my skyline favorite in USA is Chicago. Why? I like the modern buildings being all over the place over traditional buildings, I like the taller atmosphere of multiple modern buildings built in recent times, that's also why I like Dubai, and Hong Kong because of the tall modern looking buildings. I don't like New York City because of that very reason, plus having more buildings doesn't cut it for me, I like a city where I can enjoy it's buildings off my taste not a city that I can brag like some idiot that my skyline is the biggest.

I'm a glass building lover, not a art stucco traditional building kind of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World