Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
How many "big Brazilian city" do you know or visited?
If I believe what is shown on TV (First 48 Hours) so, I can say too:
Pretty much every big American city has an extremely hig per capita muder rate.
Not NYC, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Honolulu, El Paso, Boston, Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not NYC, Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Honolulu, El Paso, Boston, Omaha.
And what about: Detroit, Washington, Flint, New Orleans, Cleveland, Oakland and others?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
And what about: Detroit, Washington, Flint, New Orleans, Cleveland, Oakland and others?
You said pretty much every American city has a high violent crime rate. I listed the cities I listed to show you it isn't all true. Many cities have high violent crime rates. Many don't. What about Des Moines, Colorado Springs, Albuquerque, St. Paul, Madison, San Jose?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 PM

209 posts, read 680,062 times
Nairobi is said to be particularly dangerous.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Probably Baghdad, Kabul, Mogadishu, Beirut and Gaza of course. Close up would be Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez especiallyh in the past couple years with the drug cartels openly challenging the Mexican police and military. That is very shocking and disturbing actually.....I live in an American city with a lot of drug crimes and violence but the gangs and criminals here all fear the police. In Mexico they are openly assassinating police chiefs and even engagin the army in combat. When this happens in your country....when criminals are armed with military weapons and have the police on the run you know the state has literally "failed" and if the Mexican government doesn't bring this under control there is a catastrophe waiting to happen down there.

More people have been killed in Mexico's drug war in the past 5 years than in Israel-Palestine in the same period, and that is also more deaths than 30 years of conflict and terrorism in Northern Ireland.

Sarajevo and Belfast have improved very significantly in the past decade.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:35 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
port-au-prince, haiti - ciudad juárez, mexico (the murder capital of the world) - caracas, venezuela (former murder capital) - jo'burg, south africa - cape town (townships) south africa - kingston, jamaica - baghdad, iraq - rio, brazil - sao paolo, brazil - mogidishu, somalia, without doubt the most dangerous places on the planet

Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 85,204 times
Everybbody here is listing cities based on statistics that arent relaiable as they are produced by the third world. (im leaving here so im part of it).
Id say that ti could be more interesting if each one talks about its own experience or, at least, about the experience of a close person.

In mi case i have no doubts that buenos aires, not the centre but the suburbs are really violent places. I cant compare them with other places but if a real index could be made im sure we should rank really high.

Because there is a total lack of justice. The jails are full, the government doesnt care and the amount of drugs in the slums (or villa miseria) is killing the youth (and they are killing the rest of the population).

And i understand that brasil has similar problemas but at least they are doing something to solve the problem. I see in the news that the police working with the army are entering in the favelas and driving out the drug dealers.

Here the politicians are the drug dealers.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
port-au-prince, haiti - ciudad juárez, mexico (the murder capital of the world) - caracas, venezuela (former murder capital) -
As bad as Juarez is, Caracas is still murder capital.

"Roberto Briceño-León of the Venezuelan Observatory of Violence, an NGO, says that a government report he has obtained puts the national murder rate at 75 per 100,000 people, up from 49 just four years ago and almost twice the rate in neighbouring Colombia where guerrillas continue to wage war.

"The report estimates the murder rate in Caracas at an astonishing 220 per 100,000 people. That is higher even than in Mexico’s drug-ridden Ciudad Juárez."

Crime in Venezuela: Shooting gallery | The Economist

Juarez' rate is 200 per 100,000. Caracas is still #1.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As bad as Juarez is, Caracas is still murder capital.

"Roberto Briceño-León of the Venezuelan Observatory of Violence, an NGO, says that a government report he has obtained puts the national murder rate at 75 per 100,000 people, up from 49 just four years ago and almost twice the rate in neighbouring Colombia where guerrillas continue to wage war.

"The report estimates the murder rate in Caracas at an astonishing 220 per 100,000 people. That is higher even than in Mexico’s drug-ridden Ciudad Juárez."

Crime in Venezuela: Shooting gallery | The Economist

Juarez' rate is 200 per 100,000. Caracas is still #1.
2 very dangerous places nevertheless, all the ones i mentioned are stupendiously violent places

Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Funny I was reading about port moresby and papua new guinea. Such a shame it's so dangerous. I was watching a really good documentary "the lost land of the volcano". This team of scientists explored PNG, and found new wildlife.

Has anyone been to png?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World