Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:35 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times

Advertisements

There are several kind of suburbs in Italy. I would distinguish between three kinds of them.

The first kind are bedroom communities. With bedroom communities, i mean neighbourhoods that were built between the 50s or the 80s to host lower working class people with none to little services (aside from parks and playgrounds who can be neglected and turned into wastelands in the worst of these neighbourhoods) forcing people to rely either on public transport or on autos. Even nowadays these neighbourhood go from lower to middle class at best.

http://www.museotorino.it/images/50/...1.jpg?VSCL=100

The second kind are satellite cities, these were existing villages and towns just outside the city (anywhere up to as far as thirty kilometers) who were developed to accomodate the workers coming from these cities in search of cheaper property after World War Two. These satellites cities offer the similar services as the ones they have grown around.

http://www.fotoeweb.it/sorrentina/Fo...20Emanuele.jpg

The third kind are the closest to suburbs as Americans know them. They are either created from scratch, based around already existing villages or on the outskirts of satellite cities, they are at least 10 kilometers from the city center, they are made of detached houses, are usually more costly than apartments, have most services relatively nearby but on the whole aren't as well connected to the city.

http://www.noelettrosmogroma.org/pub...o%20Roma_1.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-02-2016 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:33 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
I am under the impression that here in northern italy detached houses are pretty rare, that is, it is common to find super big detached houses which are split into 2 / 4 / 6 apartments and a common garden, which is weird to me. I often wonder how people can have the idea of buying a semi-house with a garden they would have to maintain with their neighbour. I guess that has to do with the fact that many people live with their parents or relatives.

In France it is either detached houses (even small ones) in the suburbs or condos with at least a dozen apartments, modern or old.

Also, everytime I went to southern Italy I always thought that the houses were huge. Like one bathroom on a floor was bigger than my living room here.

I feel that the dream for people here is to live in a big flat on a top of a building while in France everyone wants a house in the suburbs with a garden and quietness. There are neighborhoods here in Bologna with big condos that would pass for poor in France looking from the exterior (buildings with 40 apartments) and which happen to be luxurious areas, while my neighborhood which has mostly smaller buildings and houses is considered lower middle class.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I am under the impression that here in northern italy detached houses are pretty rare, that is, it is common to find super big detached houses which are split into 2 / 4 / 6 apartments and a common garden, which is weird to me. I often wonder how people can have the idea of buying a semi-house with a garden they would have to maintain with their neighbour. I guess that has to do with the fact that many people live with their parents or relatives.

In France it is either detached houses (even small ones) in the suburbs or condos with at least a dozen apartments, modern or old.

Also, everytime I went to southern Italy I always thought that the houses were huge. Like one bathroom on a floor was bigger than my living room here.

I feel that the dream for people here is to live in a big flat on a top of a building while in France everyone wants a house in the suburbs with a garden and quietness. There are neighborhoods here in Bologna with big condos that would pass for poor in France looking from the exterior (buildings with 40 apartments) and which happen to be luxurious areas, while my neighborhood which has mostly smaller buildings and houses is considered lower middle class.
That's true, people here want to stay as close as possible to public and private services, this means that house prices in well served central or semi central areas are higher. This also means that condos are preferred over detached houses which usually require the use of a car to get to the nearest shop or mall.

By the way, i don't think you'll see many detached houses in Bologna but if you head to Budrio, Pianoro, ecc. i think they should be more common

Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
That's true, people here want to stay as close as possible to public and private services, this means that house prices in well served central or semi central areas are higher. This also means that condos are preferred over detached houses which usually require the use of a car to get to the nearest shop or mall.

By the way, i don't think you'll see many detached houses in Bologna but if you head to Budrio, Pianoro, ecc. i think they should be more common
yeah, i've seen some of them. Also, here in the plain it is common to have a village and a dozen "frazioni" which consist in basically two farms converted into houses, a hidden chinese factory and a church. In France the villages are usually grouped together.

I think Italy overall is much more of an urban culture, as the density is higher. France is mostly rural. French people also have much less tolerance for the possible noise made by neighbors or city noises than they have for long car rides. Here it is normal to live in a noisy environment, and driving is more dangerous.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
A big distinction between US / Canadian / Australian suburbs vs the rest of the world is the lack of single family homes. Most people live in some type of multi family building even far from city centre.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A big distinction between US / Canadian / Australian suburbs vs the rest of the world is the lack of single family homes. Most people live in some type of multi family building even far from city centre.
well, I said before that I grew up in one of them and I'm a european, so I would say it is pretty common, at least in France and once you're out of the city center.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:53 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,474 times
You can get single familly houses very close to downtown in France.
Except obviously in larger cities like Paris, Lyon or Marseille

Here this is Montpellier (569,956 inhabitants in the metropolitan area), the 14th largest metropolitan area in France and one of the fastest growing.

These familly houses are half a mile away from Montpellier main central square. You can see the main train station and the southern end of the dense old town.

Here, it is just one mile north of Montpellier main central square.
This kind of mix between little appartment buildings and small houses (attached or detached) is typical of inner suburbs.
It is not considered as suburbs in France between it is inside Montpellier city limit but the urbanism is suburban. (In France: suburbs = outside the city proper)

There are some housing estate but they make only a minority of suburbs
It is also inside Montpellier city limit.

Further away, single familly houses dominate.

Last edited by Minato ku; 02-26-2016 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My experience of Australia and the US, was that there was a lot of complex/apartment living. Certainly more than I was used to seeing.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,474 times
As I said in my previous post, in France a suburb (banlieue) is a municipality outside the main city proper.

This is a suburb (Boulogne-Billancourt, inner suburb of Paris).

This is not a suburb (district of Toulouse).

Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 PM

Suburb made of detached or semi detached houses, 8 km northwest of Mestre (Venice's mainland):

https://www.google.it/maps/place/Ven...92102f!6m1!1e1

Mirano, a satellite city 11 kms west of Mestre:

https://www.google.it/maps/place/Ven...92102f!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World