Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 04:08 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times

Advertisements

I've probably said it more than once on this thread but I still hate the word "butt." Something I just had to purchase for my dog reminded me. He has damp skin that's causing hot spots (infected sores) and I had to purchase "Anti Monkey Butt Powder." It's a good name actually because yes, I do remember the monkeys in the zoo and what their hideous rear ends looked like. Add that image to one of my most despised words, "butt" and it becomes quite descriptive of something you do not want your dog to have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,624,113 times
"I feel" when they mean "I think" or "I believe" or "In my opinion".

"Look it !!" Instead of "look at it" or "look at this"

"It just be's that way, sometimes". I think that phrase sounds more funny than annoying, but talk about murdering the English language, this phrase does that about as much as any other.

"You guys" Instead of "y'all" or "you all" or "everybody" . I once heard a cheerleader at a basketball game yell at her team thru a megaphone, "come on, you guys, let's go". I felt embarrassed for her. Something about the phrase "you guys" sounds weak and whiney, to me.

"What say you?" After somebody is finished giving their opinion on a certain subject and then they ask for somebody else's opinion on same subject.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-21-2016 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 PM

446 posts, read 397,422 times
"Ya'll" irritates me. It's "y'all."

"Disrespect" is not a verb.

"I'll reach out to him/her/them." Presumably "I'll try to get hold of him/her/them" is no better, but I'm used to it, and use it myself. Why not just write, "I'll try to get in touch with ..." or "I'll call/telephone/e-mail/write/whatever "?

"Lay" when the writer/speaker means "lie."

"Of" when "have" is correct, e.g., "I would of called you."

"Myself" when "me" or "I" is correct.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
"Ya'll" irritates me. It's "y'all."
"Disrespect" is not a verb.
"I'll reach out to him/her/them." Presumably "I'll try to get hold of him/her/them" is no better, but I'm used to it, and use it myself. Why not just write, "I'll try to get in touch with ..." or "I'll call/telephone/e-mail/write/whatever"?
"Lay" when the writer/speaker means "lie."
"Of" when "have" is correct, e.g., "I would of called you."
"Myself" when "me" or "I" is correct.

+1...to almost everything that you stated!
"I'll reach out to him/her/them" REALLY gets under my skin, but--for that matter--so does y'all"!

Last edited by Retriever; 11-23-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
"You guys" Instead of "y'all" or "you all" or "everybody" . I once heard a cheerleader at a basketball game yell at her team thru a megaphone, "come on, you guys, let's go". I felt embarrassed for her.
That's a regional saying, though. We grew up hearing, "you guys," even from teachers and coaches. it's a hard habit to break. (Few people here would feel embarrassed for that cheerleader.)

And if you're not from the South, it feels like you're an imposter to say, "y'all."

Old 11-23-2016, 02:34 PM

446 posts, read 397,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's a regional saying, though. We grew up hearing, "you guys," even from teachers and coaches. it's a hard habit to break. (Few people here would feel embarrassed for that cheerleader.)

And if you're not from the South, it feels like you're an imposter to say, "y'all."
I was a college freshman before I ever heard anyone say "you guys." At a dorm meeting our first night on campus the newly elected something-or-other (from PA) addressed us as "you guys." I was confused. There wasn't a guy in the room! Still tickles me to hear women on TV (usually in sitcoms) addressing a group of women as "you guys."

For some reason it also irritates me to hear men refer to women as "gals" -- does it irritate other women too and is this why I never hear a woman address other women as "you gals"?

in_newengland,

I hate the word "butt," too!

Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
I was a college freshman before I ever heard anyone say "you guys." At a dorm meeting our first night on campus the newly elected something-or-other (from PA) addressed us as "you guys." I was confused. There wasn't a guy in the room! Still tickles me to hear women on TV (usually in sitcoms) addressing a group of women as "you guys."

For some reason it also irritates me to hear men refer to women as "gals" -- does it irritate other women too and is this why I never hear a woman address other women as "you gals"?

in_newengland,

I hate the word "butt," too!
Right. We women never say, "gals." If anything, it's very dated and I don't think I've ever heard it except in old movies.

I don't think there's a good word to describe a group of women or even a mixed group. So we say, "hey, guys." To me, "guy, meaning a man, is outdated. It's like the old musical, "Guys and Dolls." "Guy" literally meant a man. We don't like to be called "dolls" either. How times have changed!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,196,514 times
I also hate "reach out to...". It just seems " too soft" in a business scenario, and too emotional somehow. Just is inappropriate except in a very personal or intimate context. I get the creeps every time a work associate uses the term.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 779,014 times
Hongry
Hangry

Old 11-24-2016, 07:21 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
To me, "guy, meaning a man, is outdated. It's like the old musical, "Guys and Dolls." "Guy" literally meant a man.
I used to work with a wanna-be hipster, who called everyone--regardless of their gender--"man".
When I pointed out to this poseur that many of the people whom he addressed as, "man", were actually women, he simply gave me a blank look.

I was also tempted to mention to him that his language patterns disappeared--for the most part--in the '70s, but I restrained myself.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing