Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 09:15 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Back in the day, Hardees had a ham and cheese sandwich called a Yumbo. I couldn't bring myself to ask for that by name, either.
That made me laugh out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Back in the day, Hardees had a ham and cheese sandwich called a Yumbo. I couldn't bring myself to ask for that by name, either.

Close.

<li class="internal send-email">Burger King is going back in time. The fast food chain is re-launching the Yumbo, a hot ham and cheese sandwich, 40 years after it was removed from the menu in 1974.
When the Yumbo was last sold, “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas topped the Billboard charts and “Blazing Saddles” was in theaters.

I remember it well, ate a ton of them on Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale back in the 70's.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
A word I'm growing tired of is 'zero' when used in place of 'nothing' or 'no'.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:37 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A word I'm growing tired of is 'zero' when used in place of 'nothing' or 'no'.
How about nada?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
Example: You're outside and drop something on the ground, or sidewalk, parking lot, or whatever and say : I dropped something on the floor. Shouldn't floor only be used for inside and ground be used for outside?

Is this some regional thing that's more common now or generational thing?

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Example: You're outside and drop something on the ground, or sidewalk, parking lot, or whatever and say : I dropped something on the floor. Shouldn't floor only be used for inside and ground be used for outside?

Is this some regional thing that's more common now or generational thing?
I can't say for sure whether this is a "regional thing", but I can tell you that it definitely isn't a "generational thing".
Why do I say that?
I say that because when I was a very young child in the early 1950s, a mother of one of my playmates would consistently use the word "floor" when "ground" would have been appropriate. This ran counter to what I had been taught, but, because I was only about 5 years of age, I thought that I must have been mistaken... until I asked my mother to clarify the issue for me.

My mother didn't want to openly criticize this other mother, but she did let me know in a diplomatic way that my playmate's mother was wrong and that I should not attempt to correct her language problems because "nice people" did not do such things.

For the record, these incidents took place in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn, circa 1953-55, but I have also heard people from other areas in The Northeast use the word "floor" when "ground" would have been the appropriate word.

Regional?
Possibly
Generational?
Definitely not!

Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM

106 posts, read 68,510 times
"You just have to find your passion!"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Old 07-08-2017, 05:54 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glu Glukan View Post
"You just have to find your passion!"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Gag

Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I can't say for sure whether this is a "regional thing", but I can tell you that it definitely isn't a "generational thing".
Why do I say that?
I say that because when I was a very young child in the early 1950s, a mother of one of my playmates would consistently use the word "floor" when "ground" would have been appropriate. This ran counter to what I had been taught, but, because I was only about 5 years of age, I thought that I must have been mistaken... until I asked my mother to clarify the issue for me.

My mother didn't want to openly criticize this other mother, but she did let me know in a diplomatic way that my playmate's mother was wrong and that I should not attempt to correct her language problems because "nice people" did not do such things.

For the record, these incidents took place in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn, circa 1953-55, but I have also heard people from other areas in The Northeast use the word "floor" when "ground" would have been the appropriate word.

Regional?
Possibly
Generational?
Definitely not!
I haven't heard that one, and I've lived in the northeast my entire life, so it's not regional, at least not widely so The only time I think "floor" would be used correctly for the outdoors is in reference to the floor of the ocean, the floor of a canyon, etc.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:39 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I haven't heard that one, and I've lived in the northeast my entire life, so it's not regional, at least not widely so The only time I think "floor" would be used correctly for the outdoors is in reference to the floor of the ocean, the floor of a canyon, etc.
Well, I haven't heard that type of usage used extensively in this area, so I have to agree with you that it probably isn't regional. Instead, I think that it is more likely to be related to... let's just say... the level of sophistication of a person and/or his/her parents. The woman who used the word "floor" incorrectly in the early '50s was probably just not very sophisticated.

Similarly, I went to college with a guy who would reverse the usage of "make" and "let". Instead of asking, "Will you let me do that?", he would say, "Will you make me do that?", and he would further confuse everyone by using those words incorrectly in reverse situations. In his case, he was the first person in his family to attend college, but he was always surrounded by members of his family who were of the "dese, demz, and doze" type. I think that the early language patterns to which he had been exposed were simply indelible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing