Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,662,927 times

Advertisements

Do name changes on the map count as fossil words? If so, we may need an entire subsection in which to put them!

Belize, formerly British Honduras
M-A-P-U-T-O (the capital of Mozambique), formerly Lourenco Marques
Benin, formerly Dahomey
Kaallit Nunaat, formerly Greenland

the list goes on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 PM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Do name changes on the map count as fossil words? If so, we may need an entire subsection in which to put them!

Benin, formerly Dahomey

Also the country that used to be Burma, whose current name makes me think of Mallomars. Myanmar, maybe? Too lazy to look it up.

I didn't know Greenland had a new name. Thanks for the info. It's Greenland on the map in my daughter's room, and it is way too big besides.

http://www.petersmap.com/page3.html

Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,861,532 times
I recon these be shining times for fine grammatical demagogues who fancy staid notions of propriety and civilized communique with the squalid, disenfranchised underclass of our wretched and incorrigible society...and stuff.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,172 posts, read 30,482,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"My little horse must think it *****..."

I like the original use of *****, too.

Also interesting how ***** was once an insulting word to homosexuals, and now they embrace it. I've even met someone who specializes in "***** studies".

I also knew a girl in my childhood named "Gay". By the time she was an adult, her name had a new meaning, and she started going by her middle name instead.

Edit: WOW that the site blocks out Q-U-E-E-R. That's a little ridiculous.
I once worked with someone who had the name spelled Gaye. She said no one ever gave her a problem, but I can understand some may want to change.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

Benin, formerly Dahomey

I don't think that's the same thing. A word fossil is an ordinary word, as opposed to a proper noun, embedded in another word or phrase that's has fallen out of regular use, but remains in some words or phrases, sometimes in just one.

Having said that I can't resist..... Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I recon these be shining times for fine grammatical demagogues who fancy staid notions of propriety and civilized communique with the squalid, disenfranchised underclass of our wretched and incorrigible society...and stuff.
I hope my love of words (or that of others) doesn't offend anyone or make them feel squalid ...and things.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM

keelhaul - remember I'll keelhaul you! It's a phrase that made it pretty clear someone was angry and wanted to punish someone else.

The word comes from an unbelievably cruel, but true maritime punishment where a sailor was tied to a rope, thrown overboard and pulled underneath the ship to the other side, therefore hauled across the keel, the bottom of the ship. At a minimum the sailor could be badly cut and bruised. At worst, he could be killed. The word probably only survives by the use of the phrase by landlovers who never set foot on a boat or ship.

Keelhauling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I hope my love of words (or that of others) doesn't offend anyone or make them feel squalid ...and things.
Make that "others' love of words," not my love of others.

This is a PG-13 forum, after all.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:17 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,584,744 times
Instead of saying "good grief!", my Mom and aunt both used to say "gee manently!" or "criminently!" By the way, I've never heard anyone under age 60 say those.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:42 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,379,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
...pantaloons...
You mean britches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing