Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,491,639 times

Advertisements

Another one: conversate. Although I think that word is used more orally than written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,486,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
So ignorance/stupidity does not matter?

As a nation, and as an individual, the ability to express oneself in writing is important. Many time inability to express oneself in writing contributes to poverty, hunger, and the "other things" you referenced.

Try qualifying for a meaningful job with a good salary without being able to communicate in some form of the written language.
Making grammatical errors does not amount to stupidity. Did you even read the rest of my post?

And yep, that's about the extent of usefulness for having perfect grammar. I admit, when you're applying for a job or writing a school paper, it does help, because people do judge you by it. But the only reason it helps in those situations is because people are judging your intelligence based on something that really has nothing to do with your intelligence. In other words, you have to play the game to beat it.

Again, though, if people realized that grammatical rules are arbitrary and learned, they would realize it has nothing to do with someone's innate cognitive ability.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,172,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Another one: conversate. Although I think that word is used more orally than written.
I'm guilty of misusing this word. The correct use in most contexts is "converse."

Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,033,325 times
I judge heavily on grammar, too.
And if you don't want someone to judge you on how you speak, learn to speak correctly.

Your or You're? From youryoure.com - YouTube

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,229,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Making grammatical errors does not amount to stupidity. Did you even read the rest of my post?
The responce was to your original post,...not the edited version.

Making a grammatical error once is ignorance. Making it twice is stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Yup, many of us have our own pet peeves. That's why they call us grammar nazis...

For me, it's "alot." When did that become a word? Oh right, it didn't! In my eyes, it automatically drops the writer's IQ.

I also quite hate "supposably" and "irregardless" along with the apparent confusion of "their," "there," and "they're." It's not THAT difficult of a concept...
It's not that difficult to get over either. I admit, seeing people spell "ridiculous" with an "e" ("rediculous") and so on does bother me a bit, but then I realize how small it is in the grand scheme of things, and realize it doesn't matter. Why can't others see this too? We have bigger fish to fry than whether "ridiculous" is spelled with one or two I's.

18,431 posts, read 19,080,831 times
*******s, obamatron, just to name a few that get used over and over

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,052,874 times
Quote:
So ignorance/stupidity does not matter?

As a nation, and as an individual, the ability to express oneself in writing is important. Many time inability to express oneself in writing contributes to poverty, hunger, and the "other things" you referenced.

Try qualifying for a meaningful job with a good salary without being able to communicate in some form of the written language.
Lot of NFL and NBA players are doing fine. lol

Quote:
The responce was to your original post,...not the edited version.

Making a grammatical error once is ignorance. Making it twice is stupidity.
Making a grammatical error once is the gap between language production and language competence at work. Making a grammatical error twice is possibly not having the education background to know better, or possibly not caring enough. It's not stupidity.

46,380 posts, read 27,227,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Why has our language become so dumb-downed?

One of many things that bug me is the misuse of the "possessive pronoun"
YOUR.

As in: "Your a cool guy" or "Your an important person".

Do they not teach english in school anyomore?

Do people know what a contraction is?

It should say: "You're a cool guy" .....short form of "You are a cool guy". "Your" is only used to show ownership: "Is that your car?"

I actually saw a billboard ad with the "your" used the wrong way!! A BILLBOARD!! This means that either someone didn't catch it or they don't know any better! If it's the latter, that's scary! Because more than likely, that is a college educated person!

Where are we going???
Firefox or a browser spell checker...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing