Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:15 PM

709 posts, read 578,488 times

Advertisements

This article showed a map that noted some of the most misspelled word by each state. They didn't seem to be all that difficult to me. One word I do have trouble spelling is "conscience". I always have to really think about it when I have to use it on paper. What about others, do you have a word that stumps you?

Here is a link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/u...ds-states.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 01:26 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Lol at the state spelling liar wrong.

Conscience I just always remember Con then science.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Some of the words with 2 p's and 2 s's throw me sometimes, probably because I don't use them enough. I use to have a problem with 'license' too. Kept wanting to put an extra s in it. Six months ago I quit smoking and replaced that habit with word-find puzzles. I've worked over a thousand so far, and it's bound to help my spelling skills.

And my home state can't spell 'diamond'. Come on Kansas....

Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Lol at the state spelling liar wrong.

Conscience I just always remember Con then science.
That word always reminds me of that scene in "As Good as It Gets." Helen Hunt's character is struggling with the spelling of it, and she finally says, "This can't be right! Con, science?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Some of the words with 2 p's and 2 s's throw me sometimes, probably because I don't use them enough. I use to have a problem with 'license' too. Kept wanting to put an extra s in it. Six months ago I quit smoking and replaced that habit with word-find puzzles. I've worked over a thousand so far, and it's bound to help my spelling skills.

And my home state can't spell 'diamond'. Come on Kansas....
I'd say that's what I have the most trouble with, remembering whether or not it's single or double letters. I always have to stop and think about it. I do know how to spell "beautiful," though (California's word).

Old 05-31-2017, 05:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Cincinnati
broccoli
Tennessee
paraphernalia
chauffeur

Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote seems to be a real easy word to spell. Almost every word that starts with Q has a U following as the next letter, and "ote" is phonetic.

It made me wonder how it would possibly be mis-spelled. Qwote? Kwote? Quwote?

People look up words that look funny. "Loose" for "Lose" is a very common mis-spelling, and it's easy to see why- tool, cool, fool all sound similar, so the double o looks like it's right phonetically. It looks good, so folks don't bother to check the spelling.

Quote is looked up because any other spelling must look odd.

It's harder to spot the difference between "Lier" and "Liar". One describes an object, and the other a person who tells a Lie. A lie is a word, an abstract sort of object, and there lies the difference.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
"License" always gets me. Thank jeebus for spell-check.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:00 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Ohh those silly words with silent letters!!

Also the word "rapport".
Stomped on miscellaneous (spell check corrected it!)

Old 05-31-2017, 07:02 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,318,567 times
The word pinochle get's me every time. I can spell it.. but when it comes to reading the word my mind goes blank.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:03 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Interesting article.

I've been a good speller my entire life. I won trophies in spelling bees as a teenager and a couple of times as an adult in my locality's annual Executive Spelling Bee. However, one word stumped me for decades and I always had to look it up in order to spell it correctly. The word? Forty. For the life of me, I couldn't remember whether it was spelled "fourty" or "forty." I finally got it through my thick head, but I still second-guess myself on occasion when I write it and have to think for a moment.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing