Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

I don't like the word passed - even when referring to my own parents I use "died". Passed is an unnecessary euphemism and seems very fake to me - people who have no reason to even be emotionally impacted by someone's death use "passed" and I really just roll my eyes. At least it used to just be older women, now I hear it all the time - and I would never assume or presume about the religious connotation coming into play for any individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 02:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I agree with you Renee. In fact I'm getting to the point of being jaded at hearing the term.

However, remember that as we all get older more and more of the people we know will die. The older you get the more your friends and family tend to drop like flies. Then one day you will hear the term for your last time...

This is a very morbid topic.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:50 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I thought "homicide bomber" was silly. Guess the new term didn't catch on and they all went back to "suicide bomber". This happened several years ago.

Before we starting having constant and widespread war in the ME news reporters used to refer to "the conflict in the Middle East". Then they switched to "the violence in the Middle East". Now both terms are obsolete and it's "war" more often than anything else.
It's also not very clear. Timothy McVeigh was a homicide bomber. The Tsaernov brothers who set the bombs at the Boston Marathon were homicide bombers. Homicide bomber implies the bomber is still alive to bomb again. Suicide bomber is a clear indicator the bomber's never going to have a second chance to try it.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It's also not very clear. Timothy McVeigh was a homicide bomber. The Tsaernov brothers who set the bombs at the Boston Marathon were homicide bombers. Homicide bomber implies the bomber is still alive to bomb again. Suicide bomber is a clear indicator the bomber's never going to have a second chance to try it.
That's a very clear, well thought out explanation.

Yes, the correct terminology depends on whether the bomber intends to still be alive after the bomb goes off. If they do it in a manner that will obviously kill the bomber then the only correct term is "suicide bomber."

I prefer suicide bombers. Less recidivism...

Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I've never heard homicide bomber ever used, either. Suicide bomber is more useful as a phrase, because any bomber is potentially a homicide (or at least manslaughter) bomber. Not all bombers intend to also blow themselves up as part of the spectacle of destruction, however.

John Oliver's 'Last Week Tonight' show often does a humorous mid-episode montage showing just how widespread the usage of certain catchphrases can be in the TV news media
The term 'homicide bombing' had just a brief time in the spotlight. It began when the Bush White House invented it in 2002. Here's Presidential spokesman discussing it during a press briefing:
"But the reason I started to use that term is because it's a more accurate description. These are not suicide bombings. These are not people who just kill themselves. These are people who deliberately go to murder others, with no regard to the values of their own life. These are murderers. The President has said that in the Rose Garden. And I think that is just a more accurate description of what these people are doing. It's not suicide, it's murder."
https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archi...0020412-1.html

No one else ever used it. Well, except for Fox News, who totally ran with it.

The idiocy of this idea is that the word 'suicide' somehow implies pity, and we can't have that. And if that means we have to ignore the suicidal aspect of the attack, so be it. Also, we have to use the word 'homicide' - which is idiotic precisely because bombings, as you note, are almost invariably attempts to kill. Imagine the phrase 'homicide sniper'. How idiotic is that? No less idiotic than 'homicide bomber'. No one ever called the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing a 'homicide bombing' though as Tallysmom notes above Timothy McVeigh was indeed trying to kill people. Nor was the 1996 Olympic bombing by Eric Robert Rudolph ever called a 'homicide bombing'. No one had to be told that those bombers were trying to kill people, because no one is dumb enough to think otherwise. Of course, the reason they weren't called 'homicide bombers' - and I dare you to find any Fox News use of the Oklahoma City Bombing that instead recalls it as the 'Oklahoma City Homicide Bombing', because they have never and will never refer to that historical attack as such - is that they were white non-Muslims. Also, the term 'suicide bombing' speaks to the fanaticism of the attacker, which does indeed give us more information about the nature of the bombing (as, obviously, not all bombers are suicidal).

Basically, the Bush administration (and its fawning lackeys) were worried that the phrase 'suicide bomber' might elicit some sympathy and wasn't condemnatory enough, so they found a Newspeak phrase to use in its place.

And, yes, a search of the "homicide bomber"+fox+news+2017+transcript shows sporadic use of the term continuing.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Quote:
"But the reason I started to use that term is because it's a more accurate description. These are not suicide bombings. These are not people who just kill themselves. These are people who deliberately go to murder others, with no regard to the values of their own life. These are murderers. The President has said that in the Rose Garden. And I think that is just a more accurate description of what these people are doing. It's not suicide, it's murder."
The idiocy of this idea is that the word 'suicide' somehow implies pity, and we can't have that. And if that means we have to ignore the suicidal aspect of the attack, so be it. Also, we have to use the word 'homicide' - which is idiotic precisely because bombings, as you note, are almost invariably attempts to kill. Imagine the phrase 'homicide sniper'. How idiotic is that? No less idiotic than 'homicide bomber'...

Basically, the Bush administration (and its fawning lackeys) were worried that the phrase 'suicide bomber' might elicit some sympathy and wasn't condemnatory enough, so they found a Newspeak phrase to use in its place.
You've made a very good point and I totally agree with you that the term "homicide bomber" is ridiculous. The statement by the Bush spokesman is just as ridiculous. It's blather.

The whole concept of political correctness is ridiculous.

It brings to mind George Orwell's novel 1984 and Ray Bradbury's novel Fahrenheit 451, in that both novels IMO addressed the concept of controlling and manipulating peoples' thoughts by controlling their speech, by controlling communication (e.g. censoring books). If you have an inability to express concepts in speech it forces an inability to even think those thoughts.

We are being manipulated when political correctness is applied. It's an attempt to control our thoughts by the deliberate use of "code phrases" intended to influence our emotions and our opinions.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I noticed several years ago that EVERYONE, not just journalists, say passed or passed away instead of died. It's strange to me because I'm in my 50s and my whole life until just recent years people, at least people I came in contact with, used the word "died" - not passed or passed away.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Two words used often by news-heads annoy me. "Incredible" which literally means "not believable" but what they are saying is something is wonderful, beautiful, amazing, etc.,
The other is the constant use of "again" followed by a repeat of whatever they just said. Just tells me they got too much airtime assigned to their bit of the broadcast.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Two words used often by news-heads annoy me. "Incredible" which literally means "not believable" but what they are saying is something is wonderful, beautiful, amazing, etc.,
The other is the constant use of "again" followed by a repeat of whatever they just said. Just tells me they got too much airtime assigned to their bit of the broadcast.
I will add "horrific" to that list!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I will add "horrific" to that list!
"Iconic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing