Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times

Advertisements

When my obituary is written, I would prefer "died" to "passed away" but I have a feeling that a member of my family will choose the latter. That's okay if it makes my death easier for him to talk about, just as long as it doesn't read "went to be with the Lord". That always makes me think, "she'll be back in two weeks".

I think it's presumptuous to assume anyone went to "be with the Lord". How do they know I didn't go home to "be with her old pal, Beelzebub"?

Since death is the one true finality, just say "theatergypsy's final performance was last night when she died. Unlike the times she "died" on stage, she won't be coming back for a repeat performance". You know the old saying, always leave 'em laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:43 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
It's interesting how words and phrases come and go and how their meanings change over the decades. The thread in this forum, "words your grandparents used", has hundreds of posts. Makes you understand how language changes over the centuries and why English as spoken today would barely be understandable, if at all, to someone who lived a thousand years ago.

I am in my 80's and from the south and in my childhood people would say "passed away" in preference to "died". Maybe they still do--I don't live there anymore so don't know what the idiom is today.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
One of the local news stations here has begun using the word "crash" instead of "accident" and people were all up in arms. Their reasoning was that "accident" implies that no one is at fault, and that may not be the case.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Grandma's not dead, she's just pining for the fjords.

This had me laughing out loud.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:45 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
I always thought this was something that was just said here in the South. As in short for "he passed on to the Lord"

Old 07-10-2017, 02:15 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
One of the local news stations here has begun using the word "crash" instead of "accident" and people were all up in arms. Their reasoning was that "accident" implies that no one is at fault, and that may not be the case.
There must have been some kind of an edict from the AP board or something because several stations had articles on this issue and changed how they report "Crashes" or "Wrecks".
I figure most of them are not simple accidents but manifest stupidity.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I figure most of them are not simple accidents but manifest stupidity.
I guess they are called accidents by default because obviously nobody would purposefully want to be in one. However there is rarely an "accident" without a cause. Stupidity, carelessness, being in a rush and taking chances, inattention, intoxicated, and the list is endless. I bet it's the rare accident that isn't caused by one of these stupid things, like perhaps the vehicle's steering or braking system fails from mechanical causes not related to lack of maintenance. That's a real accident. The rest of them are just stupidity manifesting itself in a collision.

It's ironic, the difference between reckless and wreckless. (Actually that isn't a real word.)

Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Is it my imagination or are journalists lately attempting to use "passed" as a euphemism for "died?"

I've read about traffic accidents where it's reported that 3 people "passed" after a truck hit their car. A fire breaking out in an apartment resulted in an eldery parent "passing".

For years I've endured reading about someone being "fatally wounded" by a burglar, instead of being killed. This latest trend seems way over the top. What are we becoming? A feel-good optimistic society just talking in some sort of code to make all news seem like what, very good nice happy news?
IMO they are finally making sense. "Passed away" is a respectful version of "died" .

I freeze for a second when people say " I passed up that deal window " and "He passed out" .

Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
There are a ton of politically correct euphemisms that only change the words, rather than the reality. For example:
For dead/died:
Passed away
Departed
Bit the bullet
Collateral damage
Bit the big one
Bought the farm
Bit the dust
Croaked
Kicked the bucket
Choice instead of abortion
Pregnancy termination instead of abortion
Put to sleep
Gone Home

Old 07-10-2017, 04:35 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
A related gripe: When there's a terror attack and the news media reports that some organization "took credit" for the attack. I'd rather hear them say that the organization "admitted guilt" for the attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing