Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:27 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times

Advertisements

Good cop fires. Bullet ricochets off wall, strikes other cop.

If both cop and perp have same caliber, then if bullet is disfigured enough, they'll not be able to tell which gun it came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Okay sure, but main cop cannot tell anyone he was there for the framing to work. So would the police assume it was the villain's gun then, and that the villain must have had two guns?

Last edited by ironpony; 11-14-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Maybe you should try a different way to accidentally kill him. There's a lot of things you've got to overcome to frame him for a killing from a cop's gun. You can do it but it'd get very complicated, like Scandal caliber.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay sure, but main cop cannot tell anyone he was there for the framing to work. So would the police assume it was the villain's gun then, and that the villain must have had two guns?
Wouldn't that be impossible if any of the shootout victims or witnesses survived? The guy you're trying to frame is going to figure out the reason you're blaming him. Then he's likely to have someone put in a tip on you, IA asks for your gun to test, starts questions, etc.
I think the setting might be a big player here cuz if you're in BFE, there's more of a chance to get over than if you tried to do it in NYC.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 AM

The shootout could be done in a place with no witnesses, and the villain gets away. The only person who gets shot in the shootout is the other cop. The only person left is the main cop who is there, so one else witnesses it.

And yes the main cop would have to do cover up his gun shots. He can dig the bullets out of the dead body, but haven't figured out how he is going to cover up the rest of them.

Mainly the shootout can take place outside the city, where there is no one else around at the time, late at night. But it would still be a city investigation since the dead cop is from the city. Haven't decided what city, but like a large metropolis type city.

What if I wrote it so that the main cop is being pursued by the villain cause the villain knows he is after him, and the main cop hides around a corner. The other cop who is bad, but wanting to go straight and be good, wants to try to save the main cop, so he runs to assist him and help get him out of there. But the main cop thinks it's the villain coming for him. The villain is there too coming for him of course.

The main cop doesn't want to use his gun cause he doesn't want to be at the scene, evidence wise, cause he is not suppose to be there, legally since he is not on the case, but was persuing it out of his own obsession, and had obtained some evidence illegally before in the story, which is why he cannot say he was there as well.

So instead of using his gun to defend himself, knowing it can be traced, the main cop decides to pull out his knife, and waits for the villain to come around the corner. He sees that the villain has a gun and then stabs him before the villain can react with the gun he is holding.

But then the MC sees who he stabbed and sees that he stabbed the other cop. The other cop then tells him he was bad, and tells him some other plot details that come into play later. The villain then catches up and causes a shootout with the main cop. But the main cop, who is now holding the dead cop's gun, uses that gun for the entire shoot out and takes the dead cop's remaining pistol magazines.

Does that work at all? Mainly the theme of the story is how the main character has to let the ends justify the means to get the villain, as we've seen in other crime thrillers as theme.

However, once the villain is arrested in the end, he will of course point to the main cop and say he framed me. But I can't have the police find out the truth. Everyone has to believe that the villain is just saying that and lying, cause he can't prove it, and I have to have the main cop's plan work and not get found out at all, for the ending I want.

Last edited by ironpony; 11-15-2017 at 12:47 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
If your cop went there planning to not leave any evidence of his being there, you can probably do this.

He wouldn't be using his duty weapon, which would quickly be traced back to him. He would go there with a gun that wasn't registered to him (private sale, black market, stolen).

He would have to have something from the bad guy to place him there (hard) or he would have to go plant the evidence on the bad guy.

Idea

He goes, shoots the cop. Makes sure to eliminate any evidence of him being there (vid cams, witnesses, fingerprints etc). Tracks down the bad guy at his favorite hangout or whatever, waits for him to drive somewhere, makes a traffic stop, pulls him out and makes it look like he is harassing him, does a search of the car during which he plants the gun. Pulls out the gun and books the bad guy for possession of a firearm. Firearm get tested and eventually gets a connected to murder.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:00 AM

250 posts, read 182,170 times
I'm confused. Was it really accidental? If so, why bother trying to frame anyone else at all? Story over. If it was intentional, he could either frame it as accidental, or go with the idea of pinning it on someone else.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 AM

I was planning on being accidental cause I don't want my protagonist to murder another cop on purpose as I feel he would be going too far if he did that. Basically he shoots the other cop by accident, gets desperate and angry about it, and decides to pin it on the villain, since the he's sick of the villain always getting away with his crimes.

However, I just don't see the main cop buying an unregistered gun. I mean during a shootout, he shoots another cop by accident. Since it's an accident, it was not preplanned and therefore, he wouldn't have an unregistered gun ready to go, just in case, he was going to frame someone for murder.

The main cop doesn't see this coming at all, and it's all an accident, he wants to cover up after it happens, so he wouldn't have an unregistered gun ready to go, and I feel it would be out of character for him, since he was not planning on framing anyone until after the accidental death happens.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:18 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,393,957 times
lots of cameras around, which could trace license plates, so he couldn't be driving his own car.
same cameras could take pix of him
it goes on and on...

But, what if the bad cop that got shot had confederates in the department who wanted to cover up his activities? They could destroy evidence without knowing who did the deed.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM

Actually I want the bad cop's activities to come out later in the story, so I don't want evidence of that destroyed though. There's just no room for a subplot of confederates like that for the ending I want.

As for cameras, yes the shootout would have to take place in a secluded place, on the outskirts of the city, with no cameras around. I could write it so that the villain chose to lure the main cop out there intentionally to kill him cause there is no cameras in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing