Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:19 AM

652 posts, read 1,787,622 times

Advertisements

I haven't read any but the two above me in this thread.

If one writes at all one is a writer. Schedules, productivity, rituals are all personal traits and pecadillos that have nothing to do with the act of writing in general. Journaling, venting, sending a letter etcetera are all writing. If you are putting your thoughts and feelings down on paper or into a word processor you are writing.
Whether or not one gets paid for their efforts is a different animal altogether.

Restricting the definition of writing to specific types or styles is something that should be laid out in the premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,219,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I haven't read any but the two above me in this thread.

If one writes at all one is a writer. Schedules, productivity, rituals are all personal traits and pecadillos that have nothing to do with the act of writing in general. Journaling, venting, sending a letter etcetera are all writing. If you are putting your thoughts and feelings down on paper or into a word processor you are writing.
Whether or not one gets paid for their efforts is a different animal altogether.

Restricting the definition of writing to specific types or styles is something that should be laid out in the premise.
Well, I think that's a good point. To me, writing is an act of creative communication that relays your thoughts to another party. Unless one's work is read and responded to, then it's really a different act entirely, more tied up in the realm of therapy or chronicling one's own life. What's more, the point of the thread is to spur on the aspirational writer who isn't content with scribbling out some thoughts and shoving them into a desk drawer, for most writers will not gain satisfaction just from the words they write, but from the input they receive. Not sharing one's thoughts and claiming oneself a writer, in that sense, is akin to calling oneself a bridge builder, but only completing one side of the span.

On a side note, I have attended probably a dozen writers' conferences around the country over the years. All of them are careful to market themselves as helpful for those wanting to be published with critiques, meetings with agents, submission guidelines and the whatnot. Yet, every time, there's always one person who gets up and says, "Why I just want to write for myself." Most memorably, the last time that happened, it was at a "Prepare Your Manuscript For Agents" lecture. Some woman got up and said that, to which one of the agents said, "Then why are you here?"

Old 07-31-2009, 11:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,363,276 times
well, I started out as a contributing writer for local newspapers, then got hired on staff; wrote 2 novels, one which was accepted for representation by a literary agency, but I turned down the contract, lost both manuscripts plus a non-fiction I was working on in the process of moving; gave up writing because I had a family to support, & started back into it a couple of years ago- I'm an independent contractor, working for a research writing company for the last 2+ years, and since I don't have the time to deal with submissions I've taken the self-publishing route for the books I've written during the last couple of years. 4 should be available through retail booksellers by the end of the summer, and the others will continue to be available online.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
well, I started out as a contributing writer for local newspapers, then got hired on staff; wrote 2 novels, one which was accepted for representation by a literary agency, but I turned down the contract, lost both manuscripts plus a non-fiction I was working on in the process of moving; gave up writing because I had a family to support, & started back into it a couple of years ago- I'm an independent contractor, working for a research writing company for the last 2+ years, and since I don't have the time to deal with submissions I've taken the self-publishing route for the books I've written during the last couple of years. 4 should be available through retail booksellers by the end of the summer, and the others will continue to be available online.
Very cool, Tia. Rock on.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,565,381 times
I'm a wanna-be. There, I said it. I have probably 30 books on writing, none of which I've read cover to cover. I joined a writers club for about six months, but then let my membership lapse. Although I did complete a novel (and I use that term loosely!) for National Novel Writing Month a few years ago, everything else is half-finished.

The marketing aspect scares me. Having to deal with rejection scares me. Pretty much everything that would make me even halfway successful at this is terrifying. Because this is a dream and not a calling, I've let it sit there on the back burner. I've tried to tell myself I don't really want to be a writer, but if that were true I would have gotten rid of my writing books when I moved. That was two months ago, though, and I have to yet to either crack open one of those books or to actually write anything.

Do I write at all? I used to keep a diary, but not so much anymore. I post on message boards, obviously, for whatever that's worth. I haven't written anything that would take me closer to making my dream a reality in a long, long time.

CPG, everything you've said is correct. I recognize myself in your first post. Thank you for stating it like it is. I am procrastinating, big time.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,591,990 times
4 novels completed, actively pursuing publication, one contest win, agent requests for a full, editor requests for a full and a partial, pitched twice, queried dozens of times, a few writing books, on-line craft lessons, two writing chapter memberships, one national membership, one national conference, attending a regional conference, wrote a first draft in a week, have a fifth novel started, 4th in first revision, in-house published when working outside the home, blog contributor to writing chapter blog, daily writing schedule when working on MS, and only go on City-data between projects.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 PM

964 posts, read 2,650,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama View Post
and only go on City-data between projects.
Uh, huh. Yeah right!! Looks like you have been sucked back into the City-Data Vortex!+ We've missed you!

From the wife of a City-Data addict. By the way, I am thinking of starting up a City-Data support group.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,591,990 times
Must not type proudmommy--actually super stoked cause I am a finalist in a major writing competition and still waiting on some edits from my critique partners for two submission requests. All is so well in my world! Tomorrow I will be--gone....

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,022,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. This is a thread that is not about snobbery. It's not a thread that's trying to divide working writers from the wannabes. However, it is a kick in the pants, a bit of tough love if you will.
Snobbery calls them wannabes. I prefer to call them aspiring writers. And there's nothing wrong with studying the Writer's Market, much like there's nothing wrong with studying the job market's decline and in-demand list before deciding on a new career. I disagree with a lot of this post. Just about every aspiring writer starts out a little too gungho just as just about every medical student starts out wanting to save the world. It's akin to and a sign of our infancy of the craft. No big deal. We live, learn, and hopefully, grow--at our own rate.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Snobbery calls them wannabes. I prefer to call them aspiring writers. And there's nothing wrong with studying the Writer's Market, much like there's nothing wrong with studying the job market's decline and in-demand list before deciding on a new career. I disagree with a lot of this post. Just about every aspiring writer starts out a little too gungho just as just about every medical student starts out wanting to save the world. It's akin to and a sign of our infancy of the craft. No big deal. We live, learn, and hopefully, grow--at our own rate.
Wannabes is probably an unfortunate word choice. By that, I don't mean the people who are actively working at their craft, but rather the people who talk about being writers, but don't actually write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing