Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times

Advertisements

I often seen written or said the phrase, "I might add."

For example

The vegan said, "I don't eat meat." and he said it rudely, I might add. But this narrator did add it, so why say you might add it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I guess to let the reader know it was a secondary thought not to be of equal factual importance to the original statement but that he wanted you to know his opinion of the statement?

I don't know. I am just making this up as I go.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM

165 posts, read 395,958 times
If it is a written phrase, you had to have seen it, so why did you so ungrammatically say "I often seen...?"

Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I guess to let the reader know it was a secondary thought not to be of equal factual importance to the original statement but that he wanted you to know his opinion of the statement.
That's right. It's for color.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It is used when you know you are digressing somewhat off topic, but you would like your remarks to be recognized nevertheless for their value in illuminating the topic. I might add that there are quite a few other phrases used in English that have a similar function.

It falls in the category of "cop out phrases"---A statement that might engender criticism, so you defuse the opposition by saying that you already recognize the criticism that might follow.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I guess to let the reader know it was a secondary thought not to be of equal factual importance to the original statement but that he wanted you to know his opinion of the statement?

I don't know. I am just making this up as I go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That's right. It's for color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is used when you know you are digressing somewhat off topic, but you would like your remarks to be recognized nevertheless for their value in illuminating the topic. I might add that there are quite a few other phrases used in English that have a similar function.

It falls in the category of "cop out phrases"---A statement that might engender criticism, so you defuse the opposition by saying that you already recognize the criticism that might follow.
Thank you. These were good responses. I catch myself using it and I didn't know why.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
If it is a written phrase, you had to have seen it, so why did you so ungrammatically say "I often seen...?"
Yeah, I saw that a little too late. What I type does not always match what is in my head. IDK.

What I should have typed was, "I have often seen written or have heard the phrase..."

Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
I use it to emphasize additional information. I might add it to a conversation that I'm having when I suddenly remember an additional point I want to make (secondary thought). It usually occurs in a polite interrupting sense when I can't get a word in edgewise.
I've been saying it for years "I might add" or "may I add."
You can also say it in a sarcastic way to drive people crazy.
And the way a person says it determines the emotion of the argument,

Come to think of it; I don't recall putting the phrase in a written piece of work. But on computer forums I have seen it.

-Another point I would like to add.
-By the way
-If I may
-come to think about it
What is the shortened version of "I might add" in the email/texting world.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
I use it to emphasize additional information. I might add it to a conversation that I'm having when I suddenly remember an additional point I want to make (secondary thought). It usually occurs in a polite interrupting sense when I can't get a word in edgewise.
I've been saying it for years "I might add" or "may I add."
You can also say it in a sarcastic way to drive people crazy.
And the way a person says it determines the emotion of the argument,

Come to think of it; I don't recall putting the phrase in a written piece of work. But on computer forums I have seen it.

-Another point I would like to add.
-By the way
-If I may
-come to think about it
What is the shortened version of "I might add" in the email/texting world.
LOL!

I was using it on an other message board and I wondered about it. I like your explanation as well.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
It beefs up the statement, you know. At the end of the day, it is what it is.
Doesn't bother me to see people add fillers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing