Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start this thread so people could share books they have read by Wyoming authors or about Wyoming in general.

Just read a great book in a series by Wyoming author C.J. Box called "Below Zero." It was fun to see places mentioned that I had recently been to on my April visit to WY. (Devil's Tower, Gillette, 1-90, for example). If you like to read adventure type books with a down to earth protagonist-who's a game warden- you might like to check out this series/author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:45 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Don't forget about Annie Proulx. She has written at least three books about Wyoming:

Close Range: Wyoming Stories (1999)
Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2 (2004)
Fine Just the Way It Is: Wyoming Stories 3 (2008)

Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Might be a little hard to come by, but Edwin "Butch" Hudson, of the family for which Hudson Wyoming is named after, has written several books about the history of Hudson, Lander, South Pass, Atlantic City, etc... I've got 2 signed editions (heh, went to school with his kids ~ and did contract computer work for his family), though they're sitting in my parents library in Montana.

I can't find ANY information online though, so you might want to try getting in touch with him on the phone. They're not the most well written books out there, but they're still an interesting read. (307) 332-2221 That's their business phone number... I always just stopped them in town or ran up to the house. :/ I did Try to get him involved with the Wyoming Authors Wiki through the WY State Library (since I was working for the library)... this might be a good resource for other WY authors though:

Wyoming Center for the Book -- Wyoming Authors Wiki Launched

Old 07-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Might be a little hard to come by, but Edwin "Butch" Hudson, of the family for which Hudson Wyoming is named after, has written several books about the history of Hudson, Lander, South Pass, Atlantic City, etc... I've got 2 signed editions (heh, went to school with his kids ~ and did contract computer work for his family), though they're sitting in my parents library in Montana.

I can't find ANY information online though, so you might want to try getting in touch with him on the phone. They're not the most well written books out there, but they're still an interesting read. (307) 332-2221 That's their business phone number... I always just stopped them in town or ran up to the house. :/ I did Try to get him involved with the Wyoming Authors Wiki through the WY State Library (since I was working for the library)... this might be a good resource for other WY authors though:

Wyoming Center for the Book -- Wyoming Authors Wiki Launched

Brian, does he write by the name "E Butch Hudson"? if so, this link (http://www.sweetwatermuseum.org/Bookstore/wy.htm - broken link) had a book by him called "Sunrise Over The Rim"..and quite a few others about Wyoming history, it seems. I think it's the same guy.. he's also listed on Amazon by that name.

@ Teak, Haven't heard of Annie Proulx, but I'll see if our local library system has them in the database. Thanks for the info

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Yup, that's one of his books (the first IIRC). Thanks.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I thought I would start this thread so people could share books they have read by Wyoming authors or about Wyoming in general.

Just read a great book in a series by Wyoming author C.J. Box called "Below Zero." It was fun to see places mentioned that I had recently been to on my April visit to WY. (Devil's Tower, Gillette, 1-90, for example). If you like to read adventure type books with a down to earth protagonist-who's a game warden- you might like to check out this series/author.

It's funny that you mention your "April" visit to Wyoming, since a girl going by the name of April was a key character in the plot! I enjoyed that book, just as I have the others in the series. Have you read the earlier ones already? I also enjoyed reading about different places in Wyoming, even though in some cases the names were changed (e.g. Rangeland instead of Wheatland).

Over the last few months, I've read the whole Joe Pickett series, with the exception of the latest book (Nowhere To Run) that recently came out in hardcover. The new one is the tenth one in the series.

Here's a list of the titles (in order) in the Joe Pickett series:

Open Season
Savage Run
Winterkill
Trophy Hunt
Out Of Range
In Plain Sight
Free Fire
Blood Trail
Below Zero
Nowhere To Run

C. J. Box has also written at least two other books that are not part of the Joe Pickett series: "Blue Heaven" and "Three Weeks To Say Goodbye."

Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
It's funny that you mention your "April" visit to Wyoming, since a girl going by the name of April was a key character in the plot! I enjoyed that book, just as I have the others in the series. Have you read the earlier ones already? I also enjoyed reading about different places in Wyoming, even though in some cases the names were changed (e.g. Rangeland instead of Wheatland).

Over the last few months, I've read the whole Joe Pickett series, with the exception of the latest book (Nowhere To Run) that recently came out in hardcover. The new one is the tenth one in the series.

Here's a list of the titles (in order) in the Joe Pickett series:

Open Season
Savage Run
Winterkill
Trophy Hunt
Out Of Range
In Plain Sight
Free Fire
Blood Trail
Below Zero
Nowhere To Run

C. J. Box has also written at least two other books that are not part of the Joe Pickett series: "Blue Heaven" and "Three Weeks To Say Goodbye."
I've read the first 4 and then Below Zero..so I missed a few along the way.
I like the pseudo-mystery aspect to his books. I'll have to look for his latest.. I thought the one I just read was. Thanks for listing them here!

Here's an author of romantic fiction that might interest some.
Wyoming Brides: Three Romances Blossom on the Trail of Faith
by Susan Page Davis.
My mom said they were good mini-novellas (3 stories in one book). I plan to read it yet this summer, so will let you know. I like the fact that it is set in the 1850's Wyoming along the Oregon trail.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Great thread! I'm passionate about Box's Joe Pickett series, and he's getting better as an author, IMO. The first books in the series aren't nearly as well-crafted in terms of plot and character development as his later books, but they're still fun to read. I like the series so much I actually bought "Nowhere to run" in hard cover!

And I also agree about Annie Proulx, and I think I mentioned her "Man Crawling out of Trees" short story on some other thread a while back. She has a way of describing WY and the West with love and utter cynicism at the same time. No illusions there! But you may remember her name if I say "Brokeback Mountain"! The theme of that story is in no way typical of her other stories, though. A bit unfair that that's the story that made her into a nationally known author--it isn't even one of her best. But that's what controversy can do!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM

For those of you interested in the Joe Pickett series, C.J. Box has a new book out. I've enjoyed all of his Wyoming based stories. Mr. Box lives in Cheyenne.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
A couple more Wyoming authors:

Craig Johnson - a Walt Longmire Mystery
1 The Cold Dish *****
2 Death without Company
3 Kindness goes Unpunished
4 Another Man's Moccasins *****
5 A Dark Horse *****
6 Junkyard Dogs - 2010 *****
7 Hell is empty - 2011 ****
8 As the Crow Flies - May 2012
9 A Serpent's Tooth

Margarete Coel - Wind River Indian Reservation
The Eagle Catcher #1 1996 *
The Ghost Walker #2 1997 ***
The Dream Stalker #3 1998 ?
The Story Teller #4 1999 ****
The Lost Bird #5 2000 ??
The Spirit Women #6 2001
The Thunder Keeper #7 2002
Shadow Dancer #8 *
Killing Raven WRR series #9 2004 ****
Wife of Moon #10 2005 **
Eye of the Wolf #11 2005 *
Drowning Man #12 2007
Blood Memory 2008 #1 New series, not WRR
The Girl w braided hair #13 2008
The Silent Spirit #14 2009 R ****
The Spiders Web #15 2010 R ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming