Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:09 AM

99 posts, read 245,299 times

Advertisements

There are many denominations represented in Powell, LDS as well. I have not heard of any conflicts there.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,959 times
I tend to wanna' think that Wyoming is live and let live state. Isolated incidents of being passed on for a job or promotion are uncommon I'd think anywhere maybe on basis of bias........perhaps besides in the actual state of Utah.

In my occupation for the last 21 here in S. OR., I've heard of one manager callin' out an individual or two on issues only because of this type of bias..............for absurd stuff particularly.

All vote please!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
I've done business with people of many religions and some of them were LDS. The LDS people were nice, friendly, never pushed their religion on me and didn't exclude me because I'm not LDS. I found them to be good people.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
I have posted on this different times on here in the past and LDS is a behind the scenes force in Powell. You better ready for you and you family to be second when it comes down to it.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Well some people can live among mormons and be oblivious to the fact while others will be driven to distraction by them.Neither cody nor powell are majority lds ,I think catholics come out slightly higher according to demographics,but they are a presence.Lovell on the other hand may not be for you if you are concerned about such things.I've never lived anywhere where peoples religious affilliation bothered me.....but people are different.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
It sounds like there are quite mixed results on the responses. I think I'm just going to need to check out the towns myself and see what kind of a vibe I get. Thank-you everyone for your information and if anyone else has any more keep it coming!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
When I lived in Cody (growing up) I had several mormon neighbor kids - yes they were nice enough and in good families but that was my first experience on how they 'influence' people and 20 yrs later it hasn't changed much. In my last job (in another wyo town) my boss was mormon and several coworkers were - they seem to have their own little clique - which I noticed before realizing they were all LDS. One of them was 'permitted' to make her own schedule which she did so around her 4 kid's athletic events -no favoritism there!?!?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
When I lived in Cody (growing up) I had several mormon neighbor kids - yes they were nice enough and in good families but that was my first experience on how they 'influence' people and 20 yrs later it hasn't changed much. In my last job (in another wyo town) my boss was mormon and several coworkers were - they seem to have their own little clique - which I noticed before realizing they were all LDS. One of them was 'permitted' to make her own schedule which she did so around her 4 kid's athletic events -no favoritism there!?!?

Flex schedule......LOL!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It sounds like there are quite mixed results on the responses. I think I'm just going to need to check out the towns myself and see what kind of a vibe I get. Thank-you everyone for your information and if anyone else has any more keep it coming!
Well of course you'll have to check it out for yourself.The reason you are getting mixed responses is because people filter things through their own eyes and we don't all see every situation the same.

In smaller towns a lot of the adults will have grown up together.They will have family ties.People tend to bond to those who share common interests or have a common local heritage.When I visit the Montana town my grandfather was born in people are nice,but when they find out that my grandfather was born there and discover who i'm related to that still live there i'm suddenly treated like a long lost relative rather than a tourist.Religion plays no part in that.Years ago when I moved to a small wyoming town in a tight rental market being able to mention some local family ties opened some doors to rentals that wouldn't have been mentioned otherwise.The bigger a place is the less these things matter.

In a town with a high lds population you have all of the above plus the fact that church members see each other 3-12 hours a week outside of work in church related activities.They know each other and their families well.If someone needs to hire someone,needs to get hired,or needs a place to live they have a large local network from whom to inquire because they spend so much time together.In other churches people often go on sunday for an hour or 90 minutes and don't see each other the rest of the week.The methodist guy who attends the church on the north end of town has no connection to the methodist guy who attends church on the south end of town.I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.....I'm just saying he wouldn't have access to as big a social network.A lot of what people see as cliqueishness is often,[but not always], more a matter of familiarity in my opinion.......your opinion may vary

Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I grew up in Lovell, 59% Mormon, and my family was Lutheran. The issues you are concerned about was definitely a problem in Lovell. But its not likely to be one in Cody or Powell.

Powell and Cody are only 20% Mormon with lots of other religions represented.

These statistics above come from the City-Data pages for each community.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Wyoming.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming