Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My dad cleared that up for me when I was still a kid. Police/Law Enforcement isn't there to protect You, the individual. They are in place to Enforce and clean-up. Sometimes they run into a serial type situation when they can do some "protection", but that's the minority of situations.
I've had several former police officers tell me essentially the same thing. Their job is to lock everything down, not rush in to rescue your family from an armed intruder. If you want to protect your loved ones, learn how to defend yourself. Relying on others to do it for you is a symptom of the same belief that someone will always be there to feed you, clothe you, and shelter you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
No worries! Just thought I'd mention it!

Cheers!

Tyster

Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
I've had several former police officers tell me essentially the same thing. Their job is to lock everything down, not rush in to rescue your family from an armed intruder. If you want to protect your loved ones, learn how to defend yourself. Relying on others to do it for you is a symptom of the same belief that someone will always be there to feed you, clothe you, and shelter you.
I think the way that the Supreme Court defined "Protect" was that they are not here to protect you. The term protection is by prevention. They teach classes, go to schools, train neighborhood watches, hold traffic school, etc and that is to protect the citizen. They obviously can't be with a person 24/7.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 AM

30 posts, read 34,578 times
If you go to the http://trib.com/news/local/casper/ca...a9e8a10a9.html the police released the letter he left in his car before killing his father. A very, very sad example of what happens when blaming other (parents, government, etc) is taken to the extreme...

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-20-2012 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Made link active

Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM

357 posts, read 1,614,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My dad cleared that up for me when I was still a kid. Police/Law Enforcement isn't there to protect You, the individual. They are in place to Enforce and clean-up. Sometimes they run into a serial type situation when they can do some "protection", but that's the minority of situations.

That's why it's important to be knowledgeable, aware, trained and ready to protect yourself. As the saying goes, there are wolves (bad guys), sheep (sheeple, normal clueless people) and sheep dogs (LEO, armed citizens) ~ which are you?
It should be made abundantly clear to everyone that this point has been litigated all the way to the US Supreme Court, state supreme courts and US Circuit Courts. Their opinions have been consistent throughout - the job of law enforcement is not to offer individual protection to citizens and they are not accountable to do so, even when the victim had a restraining order:

CASTLE ROCK V. GONZALES

Or the victims called the police and the police said they would respond:

Warren v. District of Columbia (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

or that the police said "No, we're not going to help you... despite credible and specific threats..."

Linda Riss v. City of New York (22 N.Y.2d 579, 293 N.Y.S.2d 897, 240 N.E.2d 860 1968)

And when they were not afforded police protection (and were subsequently victims of horrible crimes), they sued the government, saying in effect "We were told we would get police response... and the police failed in their job to protect us."

The people who are promulgating the notion that "individuals don't need guns, we have police to protect us" are peddling a lie and a fraud. The only time that the police have a duty to protect you, the individual, is when you are arrested and in custody of the police, and thereby prevented from protecting yourself.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT View Post
If you go to the Casper Police release Chris Krumm letter the police released the letter he left in his car before killing his father. A very, very sad example of what happens when blaming other (parents, government, etc) is taken to the extreme...
Wow that is pretty disturbing.

Quote:
You should not have allowed my father to breed because he was genetically predispositioned toward having Asperger's Syndrome and put me at greatly increased risk for having it [and in fact l do]. How could you hold his right to breed over my right not be born? I could have been relncarnated as that next life Without Asper-ger's Syndrome. At 25 years old, I could really be somebody by- now. Yet despite having a Master's Degree in Electrícal Engineering I have not been to solve the novel problems I need to solve at Work causing me to be fired from Western Area Power Administration as an engineer, resign to avoid being fired from the Dennis Group, be laid off with prejudice from PAR, and resign from Broadband because I am struggling more than i care to in order to subsist. I have never had a love life and have always had to subsist as a sort of bottom feeder. I am extremely bitter and frothing with hatred toward my father. I am resentful that my country did not castrate him. America, you have a bioethics problem which stems forth from having a democracy.

etc., etc.
It seems abundantly clear to me that the key to having a safer society to live in requires better mental health care, not fewer guns.

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-24-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Wow that is pretty disturbing.

It seems abundantly clear to me that the key to having a safer society to live in requires better mental health care, not fewer guns.
He Self diagnosed so we don't know what he had , probably was depressed.... Your right having better healthcare would fix part of the problem , the other problem is the gun law loop holes.... But Combined these issues are only 25% of the overall problem which is people are not aloud or suppressed from being themselves... They get branded in this country as a wacko or weirdo if there hobby or interest or way of relaxing is outside the normal , but are also suppressed from being who they are Gay , Straight or bi , black , purple , pink....there seems to be ignorance issues in this country.... We often don't talk about our feelings instead bottle it up and then things like this happen , the reason people bottle it up is due to stereotypes and ignore in our society... If we talk about issues that affect us openly and leave people alone when it comes to hobbies and other things outside the normal of mainstream society in this country I think will see the crime rate drop.... The Gun / Mental Health stuff is part of the problem , but isn't the biggest issue...

Old 12-25-2012, 01:01 PM

332 posts, read 483,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
...the other problem is the gun law loop holes....
In a state as tightly regulated as CT, it made no difference keeping Lanza from obtaining weapons from his mother, who legally purchased them. Criminals always find a source for their tools, legal or not. The belief that somehow guns aren't regulated enough is pretty flawed imo. Gun laws don't do anything except prevent people from having defenses against criminals who illegally obtain weapons anyway. And anyone who says that won't happen when guns are completely removed from citizens and given only to police and military, take a look down here in Texas at all the gun running done by the cartels and the ATF. Regardless, this particular incident involved an act of violence committed by someone who was deranged and DID NOT use a gun. Where are the crusaders for tighter bow & arrow regulations?

Last edited by aiden_is; 12-25-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: