Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

I think you read more into Happy in Wyoming's statement, than should be.

He said, "Diversity is something we only read about."

There are a lot of different ways to take the statement and I hate the thought that it is taken the wrong way. For instance, we do not enjoy the shopping that you currently enjoy, we don't have a lot of choices for grocery stores, we only have one lumberyard could be construed as diversity.

When it comes to race, Wyoming is not very diverse. That is not to say that anybody is looked down upon, that simply means that most towns are mainly white. People of other races can move into town and they won't be looked down upon, but to move in and expect a special hair salon, isn't going to happen because there simply isn't a call for it, yet. There are not a lot of ethnic restaurants, because, once again, there just isn't much of a call for them.

I live in a little town of 850. I couldn't tell you how many of each race because nobody around here counts the numbers. We have white, black, American Indian, East Indian, Eskimo, etc... You will find that they are simply neighbors, not ethnic groups. They are not looked down upon, nor are they shunned and certainly, their kids are not. Now I can not speak for other towns that I haven't lived in because I just don't know.

I have sat on the bench in front of Dairy Queen and ate an ice cream cone or two. I used to enjoy sitting there on a hot afternoon eating a cone and have ate a cone while speaking with Chuck Connors of the Rifleman fame. I've also sat and ate a cone while talking with George Lemmon (Meadowlark). Nobody seemed to pay any attention other then to say hi as they walked by.

Wyoming is not diverse because the numbers simply won't support what folks consider a diverse area, but my observation has been that Wyoming is welcome to all races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Wyoming is not diverse because the numbers simply won't support what folks consider a diverse area, but my observation has been that Wyoming is welcome to all races.
That's my experience also. I've lived near towns from 225 to 50,000 and know or have met people from many places and of many races.

And that Dairy Queen EH mentioned is a real good place to wind down a summer evening on the bench.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonA View Post
...a lot of what you shared is what attracts us to Wyoming, except the lack of diversity part - I have adopted siblings from several counties, and it makes me sad to think they might be looked down upon here.
You said that you have children and grandchildren. If so, your "adopted siblings" must be past middle age. Apparently your parents were really ahead of the times. I recall that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans did this but I recall no ordinary people doing it a that time. Why not bring your siblings along? That way you'll see for yourself what will happen.

You've twice talked about how wonderful the weather is where you now reside. Are you really sure you wish to leave? If you are you may wish to consider Colorado. The scenery is far better; the weather is milder; it's fiscally more conservative than California. It's racially more diverse than Wyoming as well so your siblings will be far more comfortable.

Wyoming is not for everyone; note the size of our population. It seems that you're already having misgivings. The time to change your mind is now, not a year after you've moved here and you can't deal with even one more cold and blustery day.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM

20 posts, read 63,544 times
I lived in the Buffalo, Story, Big Horn, Sheridan, Ranchester, Dayton area of wyoming for years.
If you want to live in the Rockies, I would suggest Fort Collins Colorado, Buffalo/Sheridan wy., and Bozeman/Missoula mt.

I've been living in Rapid City for the past couple years, and the Black Hills is awesome too.

But, If I were you, I would live in the Sheridan area again if I were to leave the Black Hills.
Anywhere between Buffalo and Dayton is just good livin.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM

76 posts, read 145,480 times
Thanks, ElkHunter, for clarifying about the diversity issue. I agree that it's not the numbers that count, but the overall attitude towards others who may look different.

@ Happy in Wyoming: actually, my parents kept adopting kids long after I was grown. So many of my younger siblings are the same age as, or close in age to, my adult daughter, and in fact, one of her uncles is a few years younger than she is! Whether they would actually get out to Wyoming for a visit is a good question, but it sounds like from what EH says, it would be ok.

Regarding the weather, I'm not having misgivings at all about Wyoming. I grew up in New Jersey, which was of course not as cold and windy, but there were definitely large quantities of snow. Be that as it may, I am realistic about the fact that the weather will be a big adjustment, for sure. We are scheduled to visit in a few weeks and are hoping that at least one storm will come through during that time (seriously, that's why we booked it in March, because we've been told that it's a snowy month).

Colorado does sound wonderful but is also significantly more expensive and far more politically liberal than Wyoming. We are pretty darn conservative in all of our views, and also like the general "live and let live" attitude in the square state.

So, we will see... we've got a list of properties in the Sheridan-Story-Buffalo area that we will scope out while we are there. Thanks to those of you who have cautioned us both publicly and privately about the real estate situations there. We have taken note and will proceed only with the utmost caution!

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM

76 posts, read 145,480 times
Hi Jody,
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier about the Truckee transplants. Glad to hear that you are fond of at least one (former) Californian. How does she like Wyoming?
Alison

Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
She laughs when we think we have alot of snow, but then she likes the powder to the Truckee cement. She dosn't down hill any more , we xski alittle and snowshoe alot more.For not growing up around Livestock she has real good sence , better then some old ranchers I been around.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM

138 posts, read 266,452 times
coming from the Cascades of WA and also living in the CA mtns for several years, I am looking forward to more powder snow than cement... as is my snowblower. I'm sure the pups will love it, too. Sure we've had some fluffy storms, but overall.. the water content in WY is much drier than anywhere along the west coast.

Avg water in snow ratio
Jackson Hole, WY 9.3%
Stevens Pass, WA 13.1%
Alpine Meadows, CA (Tahoe) 14.5%

Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 PM

180 posts, read 267,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonA View Post
Just thought of some more questions for you, Sunsprit: given the low output of the wells, do you have a water holding tank on your property? Is that allowed?

And another general question for anyone:

How feasible is it to invest in alternative energy sources there, such as solar or wind power?

Does the answer differ depending on whether you are using it to power a well or to heat a house? I can see where keeping solar panels on the roof or even on the ground might be a problem with the wind and snow, but perhaps a small windmill would be feasible?

We are used to high rates here in CA, although our usage here would obviously be lower than it would have to be through a Wyoming winter. But we'd love to be less dependent on outside sources if possible. Interior smoke from wood or coal is a little tough on me, unfortunately.
You can buy a home wind generator from Small Wind Turbines - The Energy Ball | Northwest Windpower that won't break your bank. Alternatively, if you want a low wind part of the state to live try Lander. It's pricey but relatively calm.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM

180 posts, read 267,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You said that you have children and grandchildren. If so, your "adopted siblings" must be past middle age. Apparently your parents were really ahead of the times. I recall that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans did this but I recall no ordinary people doing it a that time. Why not bring your siblings along? That way you'll see for yourself what will happen.

You've twice talked about how wonderful the weather is where you now reside. Are you really sure you wish to leave? If you are you may wish to consider Colorado. The scenery is far better; the weather is milder; it's fiscally more conservative than California. It's racially more diverse than Wyoming as well so your siblings will be far more comfortable.
You and I must be simpatico: I lived in the same small town as Roy & Dale for a while and I never saw them, as they kept to themselves in their compound.

Colorado isn't all that appealing now, after the influx of refugees over the last couple of decades. It's a bit warmer in winter, true, but much of Wyoming receives less snowfall. The Tetons, to me, are every bit as attractive as the Rockies and less crowded. Then there's that Yellowstone! The only qualms I feel about your state involve the caldera. I'd still trade much lower taxes, crime, and unemployment for a postcard picture anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming