Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 26,933 times

Advertisements

This might be fun for those of you who have lived in Wyoming for awhile. We've all heard of these...you know you were born in the 60's if...

Here in the Phoenix area, we have things like, you know you live in Phoenix if warm water comes out of your cold tap....drivers think yellow lights mean keep going and red lights mean go faster, etc....

Well, how about if you live in Wyoming? Just from reading....sounds like it can be windy there...you know you're in Wyoming when you walk down the street at a 45 degree angle to keep from being blown over.

Now, if you can, try to throw some in about the Cheyenne area. I am trying to learn in a fun way, some of the idiosynchrizies of the area...the little things that become annoying after awhile, or the things you just have to live with.

Thank you so much for the insights!

Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 10:03 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,078 times
Default wyomingisms

This may be more of a small town thing instead of just a WY thing but yesterday I got a call that was a wrong number. The guy was trying to call his neighbor and got me instead. We chatted for 20 minutes! Turns out he knows my son from ropings, school.

My son has a shirt with some wyomingisms on it. They're all true so I'll look at it tonight and get back to you.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 42,438 times
Cool You Know Your In Wyoming

If the Snow Falls Horizontal,

And You Think The Next Best Place Has To Be HEAVEN!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,106,591 times
I have seen several 'you know you are in Wyoming if...', I just cannot remember them right now!! On a slightly different slant...here is a link for many who are considering moving to Wyoming and are asking themselves....
"Why Wyoming?"
Why Wyoming

(this is not an advertisement...it is quite lovely)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Excellent link. I have to dig through the archives on my puter. There was a poem that I really liked. It mentioned something about wanting to leave Wyoming and couldn't because my feet were frozen to the ground. haha I'll have to hunt around and find it.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM

I remember reading something of that sort...but I don't have it. Here are some 'You know you are in Wyoming whens...."
  1. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
  2. "Vacation" means going to Cheyenne for the weekend.
  3. You measure distance in hours.
  4. You know several people who have hit deer more than once.
  5. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
  6. You use a down comforter in the summer.
  7. Your grandparents drive at 65 mph through 13 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.
  8. You see people wearing hunting clothes at social events.
  9. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.
  10. You think of the major food groups as deer meat, fish, and berries.
  11. You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them.
  12. There are 7 empty cars running in the parking lot at the Wal-Mart store at any given time.
  13. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
  14. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
  15. You think lingerie is tube socks and flannel pajamas.
  16. You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction.
  17. It takes you 3 hours to go to the store for one item even when you're in a rush because you have to stop and talk to everyone in town.
  18. You have ever uttered the term " Greenie!" (not meant to insult any of our Southern neighbours )

Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 282,432 times
HighlandLady-I've seen most of those on a list for Michigan! I'd have to say they are true for both states.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:16 PM

I know...I believe this has been floating around for some time, changing accordingly to state

Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 PM

269 posts, read 829,555 times
When you don't know what the hell your doing---------somebody else always does!

Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM

50 posts, read 169,325 times
You know you're in Wyoming when you pull into Ten Sleep with your truck covered with snow and everyone asks, 'Who just came over the pass?' Ummmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming