Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

I have searched the forum, and what I have come up with according to past posts is to look for realtors for an apartment. However considering the nature of my work, I am looking for a room to rent. I have tried to google rooms for rent, and I have also tried to look at the local newspaper. Do any of you have a better source for this type of information? Also could you provide a list of reputable realtors in the event that I absolutely have to rent a studio/1 bedroom vice a room.

I am looking forward to this move, and this will be my first time in this type of climate. Any tips or tricks to survive? I am former military and have mainly been in tropical areas, so being in a climate such as Cheyenne will be a shock for me. Any honest helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
On rentals: I've closely followed the Cheyenne rental housing market for a long time, and the "room for rent" sector is mostly met by the older motels on Lincolnway. IMO, these aren't inexpensive (or nice) places ... so if you can afford their rates and have the cash on hand for a lease deposit, you'd do better here to lease a studio or 1 bdr apartment if you're planning on staying for the long term.

Best sources to locate a long term rental will be the real estate companies doing property management here; call the ones listed in the phone book as property managers as well as the rest of them listed who may offer the services but not highlight that in their ads. You may also find an ad by an investor with a vacancy in the local paper or Trader's, but those do seem to require the ability to act fast. You'll rarely see a place listed for more than a week or two in Trader's if it is reasonably priced and in decent condition.

Climate: You'll need to learn your personal tolerance level for the colder temps and dress appropriately. Best done by layering your clothing; ie, don't depend upon a real heavy item, but ues several light-to-medium weight clothes. That way, you can adjust as needed through the day and your exposure by adding or removing layers as needed.

Good footwear is essential. I wear lace-up roper boots for most of my days in cool weather which allow me to wear cotton socks and then change over to wool when it's colder. If I need to be outdoors for any length of time in much colder weather, then I use insulated work boots and wool socks. For chores outside in sub-zero temps, I'll use the heavy felt-lined boots and wool socks. If you're really sensitive to the cold for your feet, use a first sock layer of silk socks or synchilla, then cotton or wool (as needed) over those. Silk is about the warmest first layer you can use, although the synthetics are pretty good, too.

Wait until you are here to buy your cold weather clothing. With all the local sources and discounts, you'll be able to readily find what you need here. Look at Sierra Trading Post for discounted stuff (overstocks and seconds), the western wear outfitters in town, or Murdoch's/Sutherland's (dealers for Carhartt and other workwear lines for durable cold weather garments).

Don't forget to wear headgear in the cold weather. Many folk here will get by with a 'ball cap, but if you're not acclimated, you'll need something heavier. I like the South American style knit caps with the big ear covering area but your preference in headgear will be discovered by trying on the various styles of caps/hats that are available. There's lots of "watch cap" styles, too, that come in various weights/coverages/materials, which may be the ticket for you.

Gloves, too, are an essential cold weather item. Again, best to check out the wide varieties, styles, and materials in the stores and see what you like. You'll find wide variations in the insulation value of the materials and manufacturers designs, so it's your tolerance for the conditions/temps and what you are doing that will be the determinant factor for your comfort.

A windproof and waterproof outer layer will be essential. Get a coat that is a weight that you'll actually wear so that you'll use it. I prefer Carhartt treated canvas for most days, but have several that are lined in various weights. For just being outdoors and a little fancier, Filson is very nice but pricey. Of course, these are just two of the brands available .... Columbia and similar brands make some nice coats, too, but they are targeted to outdoor sports activity rather than workwear. You'll need to try them all on and see what you find comfortable and effective for you. If you need to be outdoors for extended times in cold weather, than you'll probably need a set of Carhartt-style bib overalls ... full legs with chest and back protection, available plain or insulated; got zippers on the legs so you can slip them on/off more easily.

I'd advise you to buy top quality branded merchandise sold in the workwear lines rather than the fashion lines sold in the department or box stores. Except for the highest priced fashion outerwear, the workwear lines are more durable and better performing in cold weather for much less cost.

Accept that for some folk, the acclimatization to extended cold weather may not be a pleasant or doable reality. Some folk will adjust/adapt in due course and look forward, as I do, to the cold weather months. Some won't ... and it's more than a mental adjustment, for some folk it's a physical limitation that simply doesn't adjust.

Good luck on your move.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 AM

234 posts, read 267,509 times
Welcome to Wyoming!

I moved here a few months ago. The rental market here is a bit odd (and somewhat pricey). I am sending you a PM with the websites of some of the realtors in the area that handle rentals.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy wonderful Cheyenne.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,256,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
On rentals: I've closely followed the Cheyenne rental housing market for a long time, and the "room for rent" sector is mostly met by the older motels on Lincolnway. IMO, these aren't inexpensive (or nice) places ... so if you can afford their rates and have the cash on hand for a lease deposit, you'd do better here to lease a studio or 1 bdr apartment if you're planning on staying for the long term.

Best sources to locate a long term rental will be the real estate companies doing property management here; call the ones listed in the phone book as property managers as well as the rest of them listed who may offer the services but not highlight that in their ads. You may also find an ad by an investor with a vacancy in the local paper or Trader's, but those do seem to require the ability to act fast. You'll rarely see a place listed for more than a week or two in Trader's if it is reasonably priced and in decent condition.

Climate: You'll need to learn your personal tolerance level for the colder temps and dress appropriately. Best done by layering your clothing; ie, don't depend upon a real heavy item, but ues several light-to-medium weight clothes. That way, you can adjust as needed through the day and your exposure by adding or removing layers as needed.

Good footwear is essential. I wear lace-up roper boots for most of my days in cool weather which allow me to wear cotton socks and then change over to wool when it's colder. If I need to be outdoors for any length of time in much colder weather, then I use insulated work boots and wool socks. For chores outside in sub-zero temps, I'll use the heavy felt-lined boots and wool socks. If you're really sensitive to the cold for your feet, use a first sock layer of silk socks or synchilla, then cotton or wool (as needed) over those. Silk is about the warmest first layer you can use, although the synthetics are pretty good, too.

Wait until you are here to buy your cold weather clothing. With all the local sources and discounts, you'll be able to readily find what you need here. Look at Sierra Trading Post for discounted stuff (overstocks and seconds), the western wear outfitters in town, or Murdoch's/Sutherland's (dealers for Carhartt and other workwear lines for durable cold weather garments).

Don't forget to wear headgear in the cold weather. Many folk here will get by with a 'ball cap, but if you're not acclimated, you'll need something heavier. I like the South American style knit caps with the big ear covering area but your preference in headgear will be discovered by trying on the various styles of caps/hats that are available. There's lots of "watch cap" styles, too, that come in various weights/coverages/materials, which may be the ticket for you.

Gloves, too, are an essential cold weather item. Again, best to check out the wide varieties, styles, and materials in the stores and see what you like. You'll find wide variations in the insulation value of the materials and manufacturers designs, so it's your tolerance for the conditions/temps and what you are doing that will be the determinant factor for your comfort.

A windproof and waterproof outer layer will be essential. Get a coat that is a weight that you'll actually wear so that you'll use it. I prefer Carhartt treated canvas for most days, but have several that are lined in various weights. For just being outdoors and a little fancier, Filson is very nice but pricey. Of course, these are just two of the brands available .... Columbia and similar brands make some nice coats, too, but they are targeted to outdoor sports activity rather than workwear. You'll need to try them all on and see what you find comfortable and effective for you. If you need to be outdoors for extended times in cold weather, than you'll probably need a set of Carhartt-style bib overalls ... full legs with chest and back protection, available plain or insulated; got zippers on the legs so you can slip them on/off more easily.

I'd advise you to buy top quality branded merchandise sold in the workwear lines rather than the fashion lines sold in the department or box stores. Except for the highest priced fashion outerwear, the workwear lines are more durable and better performing in cold weather for much less cost.

Accept that for some folk, the acclimatization to extended cold weather may not be a pleasant or doable reality. Some folk will adjust/adapt in due course and look forward, as I do, to the cold weather months. Some won't ... and it's more than a mental adjustment, for some folk it's a physical limitation that simply doesn't adjust.

Good luck on your move.
sunsprit is spot on in Cheyenne! Follow his sage advice you should be good to go.
Good luck in the move.
Scott

Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
I moved here nearly a year ago to build my retirement home (almost done!). I came here from a very hot and humid climate (Raleigh, NC). I wouldn't trade this place for anywhere else in the country.

One bit of advice... this is high altitude country so give yourself 4-6 weeks to start acclimating to the thinner air. And be sure to drink lots of water.

Welcome to Cheyenne!

Tyster

Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I've been noticing that it is easier to find a place to rent in Laramie. According to google maps this is about a roughly 52 minute drive from Cheyenne. What would be the reality of this, especially during the winter months? And I found out earlier that I am to be there on the first of September. What is the current weather conditions? And lastly, I will be driving from San Diego, California... I'm planning to make this a three day drive. Is there anything I should be aware of when I hit Wyoming freeway wise?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne is mostly okay during the winter. The highway department really does a good job keeping it open and safe. It is sometimes closed, though, due to snow and wind. And then there are times you're on it and you wish it was closed!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks6679 View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I've been noticing that it is easier to find a place to rent in Laramie.

Laramie is a college town rental market, so there's more advertised units catering to short term rentals.

According to google maps this is about a roughly 52 minute drive from Cheyenne.

In non-winter driving conditions, the pass is usually clear but be aware that this is city limit to city limit time in a vehicle that can climb the pass at the posted speed limit; except for the steepest portions, that's 75 mph in clear weather conditions. Many vehicles may be able to do so, but the driver's don't seem to understand that downshifting may be required and hence climb the grades at much less than the posted limit.

What would be the reality of this, especially during the winter months?

The reality is that some days the pass will be closed due to conditions, which range from blowing/drifting snow obscuring the roadway and making it very slick to severe white-out conditions where there's no visibility. Understand that there will be closures but just because the pass remains open doesn't mean that it's less than a treacherous drive at the time. You will need to be prepared with an appropriate vehicle equipped with good winter tires and prudent driving skills on slick surfaces in limited visibility. I use Subaru AWD OBW's, but I've also used Audi Quattro's; many FWD cars are very capable in these road conditions, too; because I live in an area accessed by county dirt roads, the AWD is preferable for my use.

Understand that it's rarely deep snow that is the road obstacle due to the WYDOT plowing, it's black ice and limited visibility conditions that are the common hazard and AWD car platforms do a better job than a 4x4 truck platform on the slick stuff. Of course, no vehicle can overcome the limited visibility, although semi-truck drivers have an advantage in being able to look down upon the road from a higher vantage point. You will have many days where semi's will blow past you on the road, throwing up a moving wall of snow and moisture that will be difficult to see through. You may have the power to pass them on the uphill grades, but they will pass you going downhill, so it's a back-and-forth process. Keep in mind that the pass is not one continuous uphill grade on each side, it's a series of ups and downs on the east side of the pass from the summit. If you need to be someplace on a schedule, you may not necessarily be able to make the commute at the time of your choosing. An additional hazard is the very strong winds and instantaneous gusts that are strong enough to blow high profile vehicles off the road or turn them over; you will experience gusts that can move your car all over the road in the blink of an eye, especially on slick surfaces.

FWIW, I employed a couple of UW students a few years ago in Cheyenne. During a mild winter, they were unable to make the round-trip on over 20 days due to road closures, and the commute was rather daunting for these local ranch girls (who grew up driving in these conditions) for another 40 days. Consider that they needed to be back in Laramie for classes on schedule, and there were days when the conditions were very good for the trip over to Cheyenne but forecast conditions for their return to Laramie some hours later were not good; ie, it wasn't prudent to leave Laramie with the prospect of not being able to return in a timely manner. While staying over with friends in Cheyenne was an option for them on weekends, during the week the need to be in Laramie on schedule could not be avoided.

IMO, it's not very prudent to make this a routine commute unless you have the flexibility to do so at a time of your choosing and an alternative lodging available. When the pass gets closed, Cheyenne area motels typically get booked out very quickly. You'll see hundreds of semi's at the truck stops and onto the frontage roads when this happens. It's not unusual for I-80 to be closed for a couple of days in the stronger storms, and I-25 closures will add to the strain on the resources. In short, there can be winter storms that close traffic in any direction from Cheyenne for more than just a few hours, or at least post "no unneccesary travel" advisories which are worth observing by not going out on the roads.

It's interesting to note, with 50 years of driving experience in the area, that Wyoming has become more assertive in recent years to close the highway in inclement conditions that previously would not have had them closing the road. The rationale is that it's better to minimize the traffic accidents and demands upon first responders in the difficult driving conditions that present. I hear from other folk about how they always made it through in the toughest of conditions all the time and it's just something you need to tough it out, you can do it because they always did it ... but they don't recognize that the roads are now closed in those conditions much more frequently than they used to be. As well, Wyoming has now placed speed signs that are adjusted for the prevailing conditions on places like the pass, and they do drastically lower the limits at times. To me, that's an indication that they've finally recognized that a lot of folk these days simply don't know enough about inclement driving conditions to slow down appropriately.

I've commuted a lot across the state during the last few years in a 1993 Dodge 3500 Van Roadtrek, and the RWD van was OK in inclement driving conditions as long as I planned my travels in the improved conditions during the winter months. I've had more than several trips where I find it prudent to pull off the highway at the first opportunity ... either one of the rest stops or into a small town or truck stop ... and wait out the adverse conditions. You can use a RWD vehicle most of the time in winter driving here, but it's definitely a second choice compared to the capabilities of other vehicles in adverse driving conditions. I used to drive M-B diesel cars for my sales trips around the region, and they got by pretty well when equipped with dedicated winter tires and by virtue of having low hp and heavy car construction ... but I wouldn't go back to driving them after using AWD cars over the last 20 years.

You can search you tube videos for Wyoming winter driving conditions and see videos that folk have posted of the conditions. Many of those posts are just "normal" driving conditions and you'll see how obscured the roads can be.

And I found out earlier that I am to be there on the first of September. What is the current weather conditions?

Clear roads at this time. Early September can be cool, with a rare incidence of snowfall that will typically melt off on the still-warm roads as quickly as it hits the ground. Late September can be the start of inclement driving conditions for short durations, although road closures are rare. You'll appreciate the NOAA weather forecasts and reporting as well as the WYDOT travel advisory site.

And lastly, I will be driving from San Diego, California... I'm planning to make this a three day drive. Is there anything I should be aware of when I hit Wyoming freeway wise?
Three days is a low-key pace for the trip. You'll be heading into 75 mph posted interstates on your way into Wyoming. Speed enforcement is spotty; there are times and places where the interstate 500 is in progress and higher speeds will prevail for many drivers ... but be aware that the patrol may decide to be more aggressive and have a zero tolerance policy over the limit. If you take I-25 north into Wyoming, the grades/passes are easy. Be aware that if you're driving a naturally aspriated vehicle, there will be a significant density altitude power loss by the time you reach 5,000' elevation ... you'll make that climb from Albuquerque to Santa Fe NM and then to higher altitudes into Colorado. Similarly, if you're coming into Wyoming on I-80, you'll encounter the altitude loss as you climb out of SLC and head over to Evanston. Neither route presents steep mountain passes except for the climb eastward out of Laramie to Cheyenne.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-19-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 AM

Leaving in a few days. I've seen some nice apartments/condos/town homes but some of them seem to have an income limit per household? Also do any of you know of any luxury apartments for rent? Nice areas of Cheyenne to move into and lastly if a rental says no smoking allowed, does that mean I can not smoke on my own balcony or does that just mean the interior?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 AM

"income limit per household" housing in Cheyenne is generally some form of grant housing, such as low-income senior housing, possibly assisted living; Legacy Senior housing is typical, restricted to age 55 and older with an income not exceeding 60% of the average income of the area. IIRC, Legacy is the newest of these in town, just off College and Pershing Ave's.

"Luxury" apartments in Cheyenne are a rare item. Most of the pricier rentals fall into the categories of larger sq ft units with more bedrooms/bathrooms, but not necessarily more "upscale" in amenities. Many listings for apartments are really SFH or townhomes, or a conversion unit in what was previously a SFH. Take a look at Zillow, and you'll see a cross-section of current listings in the Cheyenne area. Your best resource for the rental market will be the real estate brokers in town who have or manage rental properties.

I'd be looking at the Avenues, North or West areas of Cheyenne for better quality rentals.

"no smoking" is as defined by the lease contract, not by statutes. So you've got to read the contract to know what a given property requires for compliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming