Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM

21 posts, read 29,337 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am considering moving to Wyoming. Looking for advise on areas to look for or look out for. Would like to have some land, need about 10-15 acres for work, and would like 10+ for the horses and livestock, along with the house. I would like mixed terrain if possible, flat, hills,trees ect. Close to hunting, fishing, camping, horse/mule trails, or even on the property would be nice. I more than likely will be bringing work with me, but might also need some. Have a commercial license, with Air Brake, Tanker, HazMat. Hoping to stay under the $400,000 range. Also would love to hear about some of the areas any one has advise on. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Difficult to give you any meaningful responses beyond our own personal location preferences based upon many other factors than what you've provided here.

You've made no mention of what "work" is that requires acreage. Do you need utilities/access/roads/zoning for your activity? Do you require water for your business? Do you need access to a larger population base than most of Wyoming's limited size towns or rural areas?

Similarly, you've made no mention of other major concerns, such as access to shopping/medical/entertainment, schools, etc. Outdoor recreation is readily available across the state, but do understand that the vast distances here mean that "close" can be as near as your doorstep or many hours of driving away.

You mention "livestock". Do you know what you're planning on raising? How many head? How many horses? Do you understand that you'll need to feed them most of the year in Wyoming, because grazing is a very limited option in most of Wyoming?

FWIW, a 20-30 acre parcel around here is a very small place unless you're buying land in Jackson.

Have you been to Wyoming? If so, where? and at what time of the year? Winter is a whole different paradigm than summer months.

May I suggest that you take the time to read through similar "moving to Wyoming" threads on C-D to get an idea of the ranges of options available?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Difficult to give you any meaningful responses beyond our own personal location preferences based upon many other factors than what you've provided here.

You've made no mention of what "work" is that requires acreage. Do you need utilities/access/roads/zoning for your activity? Do you require water for your business? Do you need access to a larger population base than most of Wyoming's limited size towns or rural areas? I work for a Pyrotechnic's company. I will be storing product, and shipping it to the local fire depts, cities, ect. Who put on fireworks displays. I will be training them, and putting on my own displays for a city that hires me as a operator. So I need access to roads, and highways, connecting to Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and Neveda. So I need rural, but preferably cable access. Zoning, Licenses, Permits for everything will be taken care of before I get there.

Similarly, you've made no mention of other major concerns, such as access to shopping/medical/entertainment, schools, etc. Outdoor recreation is readily available across the state, but do understand that the vast distances here mean that "close" can be as near as your doorstep or many hours of driving away. I dont have any children. All mine are fur babies. Shopping and medical with in a hour would be fine. Outdoors is the only real entertainment I need. I currently work 60 hrs a week, 6 days a week. My free time is catching up on TV shows or movies, hiking with my dogs, shooting, fishing, ect. Some day there might be children, but they wont attend any school teaching common core.

You mention "livestock". Do you know what you're planning on raising? How many head? How many horses? Do you understand that you'll need to feed them most of the year in Wyoming, because grazing is a very limited option in most of Wyoming? 2-4 Horses, 2 Mules, Just a couple cows for Dairy, an Beef. Ive seen some properties producing Grass Hay or Alfalfa. If I cant grow my own, I have no issue purchasing.

FWIW, a 20-30 acre parcel around here is a very small place unless you're buying land in Jackson. The larger the better (in my price range). I just mentioned 20-30, because that is the smallest I would like to go.

Have you been to Wyoming? If so, where? and at what time of the year? Winter is a whole different paradigm than summer months. I have yet to visit. And plan to soon. In summer and in Winter. I have no issues with cold. I hate HOT. Its been 80F-110F here for over the last month. I cant stand it.

May I suggest that you take the time to read through similar "moving to Wyoming" threads on C-D to get an idea of the ranges of options available? I will continue to read them. I have been reading some. Along with Montana, and Idaho.
Hope that might help a little more. Thank you for your time. Need to know anything else, just let me know.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 PM

Initial reactions:

1) With the interstate nature of your business, you'll do better by locating along one of the Interstate Highway corridors for ready access to commercial freight shippers or your own travels. Being near larger population centers will be preferable for commercial shipping; ie, much of rural Wyoming is not well served by LTL freight lines even for non-hazardous freight.

2) I'd be concerned that "rural" generally means "volunteer fire department" for any emergency response. Is that sufficient coverage for your needs and property/homeowners/business insurance? Consider, also, that many rural areas of WY have effectively no fire department services at all; could this be a limiting factor for your business operations?

3) Given your outdoor recreation orientation, I'd be looking at the Sheridan area or Evanston area. Both have good access to outdoor rec and ready access to interstate highway system.

4) Given your already busy business work week and livestock care and DAIRY cow(s) daily commitment, I wouldn't take on any farming ops to raise hay. IMO, you'll do better to simply purchase what you need. I'd figure my estimated tonnage per year need and buy a trailer-load when the cuts come in, then store it in a barn or enclosed structure. You'll appreciate having barn-stored hay in the winter months when it's time to feed and both your hay and livestock are in the same building. Those dairy cows are a twice-a-day time investment unless you've got an automated milking parlor ... which would be quite an extravagance for only a couple head.

5) I think your budget is quite adequate to buy a reasonable house/acreage/outbuildings property. If you're wanting to ride on your own property, I'd be looking for a quarter section (160 acres) dryland as a starting point ... but my perspective is that the land and outbuildings are more important than the housing as long as it's functional.

6) More likely to have satellite 'net access than cable in rural areas. Too sparsely populated to support such services in many rural areas.

7) IMO, very important that you come visit before making any decisions. Wyoming winters present some challenges, and while you may be comfortable with cooler summer temps, they come at a price come wintertime (which can easily be 6 months long).

Good luck in your search. Questions?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Animal units in this state can really very area that take 25 acres for a Cow calf to 40-60 and some areas it over a 100. Star valley if you are on the valley floor with hay ground it can be as low as 6 acres, If uplands are used the number of acres go up. We still have our horse ghetto's that look like a barn yard with bare dirt.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM

brings up two major points:

1) While the Star Valley is wonderfully located for outdoor recreation and has some of the better grazing opportunities in the state ... it's not only rural, but remote for somebody who needs ready access to several regional states for their business.

I haven't checked prices in that area recently, but I'll bet that "valley floor" hay ground that is capable of supporting an AU on 6 acres is gonna' be rather pricey, and unlikely to be available in a parcel sized for a livestock owner with only 8-10 head. One still gets to feed livestock in the winter months, too.

2) "horse ghetto's" aren't unique to any particular area of WY. I see them all over, where folk have bought a "horse property" zoned acreage in a subdivision (typically limited as to the number of horses per parcel) and they've turned their horses out to graze without any consideration to the climate/soils/grasses. Takes about 2 years and there's nothing but bare dirt where the horses have overgrazed and destroyed the pasture.

That's not limited to smaller parcels, either. We have a neighbor with a state school section lease who runs rough stock on it for a few months every year and he's so overgrazed the section that within the first two years it was down to almost nothing except being taken over by weeds and cactus. The adjacent pasture lands (4 sections) have similarly been overgrazed by folk running cattle to excess of what the land can realistically support, and it's not that many AU ... less than 30 cow/calf units each year.

One might also consider that "horses" and "livestock" aren't necessarily always accepted as equivalents in a fair number of HOA controlled properties. Horses are a recreational/lifestyle decision for many folk as opposed to a livestock operation.

As well, one needs to be sure that any HOA/CCR's allows the type of home-based business one is planning to run from home. Acreage, in and of itself, does not necessarily confer unlimited uses of the property in many places.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
brings up two major points:

1) While the Star Valley is wonderfully located for outdoor recreation and has some of the better grazing opportunities in the state ... it's not only rural, but remote for somebody who needs ready access to several regional states for their business. Thanks Ill look in to that.

I haven't checked prices in that area recently, but I'll bet that "valley floor" hay ground that is capable of supporting an AU on 6 acres is gonna' be rather pricey, and unlikely to be available in a parcel sized for a livestock owner with only 8-10 head. One still gets to feed livestock in the winter months, too.

2) "horse ghetto's" aren't unique to any particular area of WY. I see them all over, where folk have bought a "horse property" zoned acreage in a subdivision (typically limited as to the number of horses per parcel) and they've turned their horses out to graze without any consideration to the climate/soils/grasses. Takes about 2 years and there's nothing but bare dirt where the horses have overgrazed and destroyed the pasture.

That's not limited to smaller parcels, either. We have a neighbor with a state school section lease who runs rough stock on it for a few months every year and he's so overgrazed the section that within the first two years it was down to almost nothing except being taken over by weeds and cactus. The adjacent pasture lands (4 sections) have similarly been overgrazed by folk running cattle to excess of what the land can realistically support, and it's not that many AU ... less than 30 cow/calf units each year. I have no issues "feeding" my animals, as opposed to "grazing" I would like pasture to turn them out in from time to time.

One might also consider that "horses" and "livestock" aren't necessarily always accepted as equivalents in a fair number of HOA controlled properties. Horses are a recreational/lifestyle decision for many folk as opposed to a livestock operation.

As well, one needs to be sure that any HOA/CCR's allows the type of home-based business one is planning to run from home. Acreage, in and of itself, does not necessarily confer unlimited uses of the property in many places. I would like to stay away from HOA's and no ccr restrictions. And as I mentioned before, Permitting and Licensing for my operation will be handled before I even move.

Please no HOA or CCR

Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Initial reactions:

1) With the interstate nature of your business, you'll do better by locating along one of the Interstate Highway corridors for ready access to commercial freight shippers or your own travels. Being near larger population centers will be preferable for commercial shipping; ie, much of rural Wyoming is not well served by LTL freight lines even for non-hazardous freight. It will all be private shipped by myself or my company.

2) I'd be concerned that "rural" generally means "volunteer fire department" for any emergency response. Is that sufficient coverage for your needs and property/homeowners/business insurance? Consider, also, that many rural areas of WY have effectively no fire department services at all; could this be a limiting factor for your business operations? That is the reason for needing 10-15 acres alone for the business/storage area, clearance. As for the limiting factor, that will be up to the state to decide. I am just searching for a general area/areas to look, once I have a few available properties in mind, we will contact the state for approval.

3) Given your outdoor recreation orientation, I'd be looking at the Sheridan area or Evanston area. Both have good access to outdoor rec and ready access to interstate highway system.

4) Given your already busy business work week and livestock care and DAIRY cow(s) daily commitment, I wouldn't take on any farming ops to raise hay. IMO, you'll do better to simply purchase what you need. I'd figure my estimated tonnage per year need and buy a trailer-load when the cuts come in, then store it in a barn or enclosed structure. You'll appreciate having barn-stored hay in the winter months when it's time to feed and both your hay and livestock are in the same building. Those dairy cows are a twice-a-day time investment unless you've got an automated milking parlor ... which would be quite an extravagance for only a couple head. I apologize, I should have been more clear. I currently work 60 hrs a week/6 days a week, But that isnt for the Fireworks Company. I also drive a ready mix truck, as here its my full time job, and the Fireworks are part time. Once I move the Fireworks will more then likely be full time, which means I will be home on the property, unless making deliveries, putting on a show, or traveling for a convention. I also wont be living alone.

5) I think your budget is quite adequate to buy a reasonable house/acreage/outbuildings property. If you're wanting to ride on your own property, I'd be looking for a quarter section (160 acres) dryland as a starting point ... but my perspective is that the land and outbuildings are more important than the housing as long as it's functional.

6) More likely to have satellite 'net access than cable in rural areas. Too sparsely populated to support such services in many rural areas. Would DSL be avail in these areas? Im sure there are phone lines. I prefer cable for the speed. I would be transferring some data (show orders, Choreograph previews, ect) back and forth. Streaming TV or Movies, and some gaming, if I ran out of things to do outdoors.

7) IMO, very important that you come visit before making any decisions. Wyoming winters present some challenges, and while you may be comfortable with cooler summer temps, they come at a price come wintertime (which can easily be 6 months long). I do plan to visit, a few times before moving.

Good luck in your search. Questions?
Thank you so much.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:24 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Wyoming is a big and great place. As for areas, the Teton/Jackson area is nice if you are a skier, but is probably the priciest.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Wyoming is a big and great place. As for areas, the Teton/Jackson area is nice if you are a skier, but is probably the priciest.
the OP's $400,000 budget will make a nice downpayment on an acreage property in that area, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming