Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,767 times

Advertisements

Hi--

Short version: I now own a house in Sheridan that's been in the family for about 40 years. (I've never lived there, or in Wyoming, but have spent many vacations there over the years.)

The house has foundation issues, but for now is liveable, though small and pretty dated. I think it's about 90 years old at this point.

It's on a great corner lot in a pretty decent location.

I'm starting to think about the possibility of tearing down the existing house and building a new one. Nothing huge or out of character with the neighbors, just a better house with more room that we may retire to someday and that might be more enticing to renters in the meantime.

Are there any restrictions/requirements/pitfalls/etc that I should know of before I even start down this road? How common are teardowns in town these days?

Any insights from locals appreciated. I don't want to be the idiot out-of-towner coming in and setting tongues a-wagging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
There are some limitations of course, and in at least one area, some thought given to historical aesthetics. Best to contact the city.

As far as the neighbors, like anywhere, you'll find some that don't care, some that would object to everything, and some that will sigh occasionally at the mess and inconvenience but that's it.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Hi! Welcome (back) to Sheridan.

Historical areas aside, there are a few neighborhoods where a tear-down is both appropriate and probably a little overdue. The bottom line is, if it is your house and you want to replace it with something that is nicer, feel free. It will probably increase the value of everything around it. Besides, if you are going to retire in it, this is your opportunity to replace a 90 year old house with one that has fewer stairs...

The only caution I have is your builder. If you don't have one you trust, find some people you trust and get their input. All the general contractors are pretty busy right now, between hail damage repair and new construction. Prices are also starting to rise on residences as the impact of the recession wanes. We have some superb general contractors here and a few that aren't quite as superb. Same goes for the trades (the concrete guy, the electrician, the plumber, etc.). A good friend who's been here awhile can be an invaluable source of information about who is good and who..., well, is better off building someone else's house.

Along the same lines as BranD's thoughts about the historical considerations in some neighborhoods, a trip to the county courthouse is probably an hour well spent to find out what easements impact your lot. I can about guarantee you there are a few new ones since your property was built, and it may impact what you can do in various spots.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,767 times
Thanks! I have lots of extended family still in town, so will definitely ask around for recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: