Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times

Advertisements

Lived in Asheville for 30 years. Moved back home to Wyoming 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:37 PM

64 posts, read 77,257 times
cool, I used to go skiing at wolf laurel up I-26 and surrounding areas, I got some friends in Waynesville, hiking buddies mostly, we hike 2-3 times a year together in smokies, do you hike ?. have you hiked the bighorns yet?.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times
trail..

As I am a flyfisherman and not lazy, yes I hike alot. When I lived here 35 years ago my brother and I hiked the Cloud Peak area from Little Goose campground over to Meadowlark Lake. We took 2 weeks and had a ball. I cannot do a hike like that anymore (knees are not up to it) however when I flyfish I usually average about 2-5 miles with alot of that in the back country. Usually go every weekend during the summer with the parents and wife.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 PM

I also flyfish,, o got used to using a short rod cause in the smokies to many tree limbs over the creeks. mostly small brook, or browns, I got good news from there today a job offer from modern electric in town. best news yet. when I get there in late august ill try to look you up maybe we can fish together, you can show me your special areas, lol. hope I can get there sooner, before you catch them all. like I asked earlier are the bears a bad problem?. im used to black bears, I got firecrackers for them. only had my pack torn up once on mt. leconte.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 PM

p.s. do you know anyone who works for o"dell construction, or Jackson electric?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
No, grizzlies are pretty scarce in the Bighorns. I've heard there are some in the northern Bighorns but if so, it's not many. I can't recall even seeing a black bear in the Bighorns, and while I don't spend a ton of time there, I've usually spent at least a couple weekends and usually more like a couple weeks each year up there for 40+ years.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 PM

good to know its safe to hike there, when do ya"ll get the first snow?. does anyone besides me hike in winter?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM

ive been watching hikes in the horns on youtube very pretty area, any hiking clubs there?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
This year we got eight inches on October 3 for our first snow in Big Horn.

There are a couple outdoor clubs that do sponsored hikes. The only one I know personally is a program for youths, but I do know there are some clubs.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazzer View Post
good to know its safe to hike there, when do ya"ll get the first snow?. does anyone besides me hike in winter?
First snows on the prairie usually occur in late September or early October, earlier in the mountains. For my first elk hunting trip to the Bighorns, back in the early 70s, we camped for opening day (Oct 15?). We used the only tent I had at that time, a big Coleman summer tent. As luck would have it, we ran into a snowstorm once on the mountain and had to shovel 6" of snow off the ground to pitch the tent. Then it started snowing again and turned bitter cold. I had to get up a few times during the night to knock snow off the roof so the tent wouldn't collapse, and by morning there was probably 18 inches of snow on the ground... and fresh tracks from a herd of about a dozen elk that walked right through our campsite -- both sides of the tent not more than five feet from it! It never got above -20F. We got a room for the next few nights! Never got an elk.

A couple years later (Oct 15) we used horses and packed a couple big army tents up with a stove for one. It never froze, no snow on the ground. Got a nice bull elk as I was sitting on a bluff overlooking the campsite just enjoying the warm weather and watching the sunset.

Hiking the Bighorns in the winter would be dangerous and nearly impossible with all the snow. Snow shoeing would work, but it gets mighty cold up there. I wouldn't do it unless you know plenty about winter survival, and I wouldn't do it solo. Every year people have to be rescued because they get lost or injured. There are groomed x-country ski trails up there too. I always wanted to try it but never did; we were a big downhill ski family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming