Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 24,911 times

Advertisements

Great!! Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
I found myself browsing the internet for place to move to and came across this. Sounds like my kind of place. If could only talk my wife into leaving Kalifornia and away from the grand daughters. Kalifornia is TERRIBLE. How is the area around Sheridan for gold prospecting?

Old 10-16-2016, 09:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Hawkins View Post
I found myself browsing the internet for place to move to and came across this. Sounds like my kind of place. If could only talk my wife into leaving Kalifornia and away from the grand daughters. Kalifornia is TERRIBLE. How is the area around Sheridan for gold prospecting?
There is opportunity to do some placer mining, but there are far better areas. It is relative because Wyoming is not as good as most other western states. Take a look at Lander and Riverton for housing. They're only a short drive from South Pass. Please be advised that Sheridan has brutally hot summers; Lander and Riverton have far easier summers.

There is a gold prospecting group in the state; It is not affiliated with GPAA which also has claims in the area. .

Wyoming Prospectors

I'm linking to information on the South Pass mining district. There are further links in the article. Bring your wife here on a vacation. That's how it all begins for people who move here. You will not find any prejudice against transplants in Wyoming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pass_City,_Wyoming

Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 AM

215 posts, read 668,019 times
Sheridan has brutally hot summers????? Average temperature for July and August is in the high 80's. It also cools down very nicely every evening. Not what I would consider brutal.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:49 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Star Valley area is close to two gold areas Jackson and Palisades

Old 10-17-2016, 05:21 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Sheridan has brutally hot summers????? Average temperature for July and August is in the high 80's. It also cools down very nicely every evening. Not what I would consider brutal.
I've never understood how those averages are figured. But I do live and work in the Sheridan area, and work outside. This past summer it didn't get as hot, but many later afternoons were well above 90, and some summers we've cracked 100 often.

Still not as bad as many places and it does cool off at night.

I like the temps better in this area than in the southeastern part of WY, where I've also lived and worked.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:07 AM

110 posts, read 192,566 times
Default Also looking...

I am looking to make a move to the Sheridan/Buffalo area. I've been doing some online research and plan to visit this coming spring/summer. I have been trying to browse real estate listings to get a feel for price(what you get for your buck). Is there any local real estate websites that show more properties? I've checked the nationwide realtors like Remax and it looks like homes for sale are slim pickings.

Another topic is wildlife. I plan to hike and camp as much of Big Horn as possible at all different times of year. What wildlife is present on the mountain and how often are there bear or mountain lion attacks? I would love to see and photograph all kinds of wildlife on my treks but don't really want to hug any of the bears or feed any of the mountain lions.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd522 View Post
I am looking to make a move to the Sheridan/Buffalo area. I've been doing some online research and plan to visit this coming spring/summer. I have been trying to browse real estate listings to get a feel for price(what you get for your buck). Is there any local real estate websites that show more properties? I've checked the nationwide realtors like Remax and it looks like homes for sale are slim pickings.

Another topic is wildlife. I plan to hike and camp as much of Big Horn as possible at all different times of year. What wildlife is present on the mountain and how often are there bear or mountain lion attacks? I would love to see and photograph all kinds of wildlife on my treks but don't really want to hug any of the bears or feed any of the mountain lions.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ch/Sheridan_WY

Carry bear spray. Don't move if a bear charges you. Bears break off the charge 99% of the time. Don't jog where there are mountain lions. Joggers resemble prey.

Many people travel the back country for years without seeing a single bear or mountain lion.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:55 PM

110 posts, read 192,566 times
Default Thanks Happy in Wyoming!

Thanks for the info. Also, just remembered another question. I do a lot of my work online from home and was curious about the broadband options there. I need a fast and reliable connection. Is that a possibility even on homes outside of the main towns of Sheridan and Buffalo?

On a totally different subject. Most of the homes I can find online seem to be fixer uppers. I have no problem with that but was wondering if there is a Lowes or Home Depot in town (Buffalo/Sheridan)? If a contractor is needed for more extensive repairs are they readily available? I read in another thread about the lack of dependable contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming