Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 06:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

A welder can find instant work in Gillette, at high wages with lots of overtime. But the housing situation there is tough .... not expensive compared to CA, but homes are in short supply there. I'm thinking of going out there when the weather breaks, I don't have an RV and don't have enough money to live in a motel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Well, after spending most of the day researching weather patterns, I have pretty much settled on the South central/western poriotn of the state. It seems the north and eastern parts of the state, have the type of heat, I am trying to get away from. I like parts where the record high is 100 or less, and the average is around 80ish.
Now if I will able to find work in these areas (don't mind commuting up to 1 1/2 hours though) I will be in good shape.

I'm not a certified welder, but I can stick/Tig/mig

Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 PM

610 posts, read 3,320,268 times
Not a bad choice. Let me paint a little. Riverton & Lander are central with the Wind River Mountains surrounding west & south and the Owl Creek range to the north. Pretty isolated though and they're on the Wind River Reservation (Shoshone & Arapahoe). I don't know of a lot going on there though. Everything south is kinda of "badlands" terrain - not very mountainous again until you near the Colorado or Utah north borders. Plenty of work for welders and helpers as the area is greatly criss-crossed by natural gas pipelines. Rawlins is hopping but is not real scenic. However, there are a couple of towns nestled into the foothills south like Saratoga and Centennial. Rock Springs area is hopping - pop. ca27K. Housing is growing short and they're spilling over into Evanston, 3 miles from utah on I-80 - and housing is short here, too. There are also a few gas-rigs going in the area - drilling sites. If you have bucks, you can pick up a 1ton flatbed and outfit it for welding. Bring that vette and you'll have welders trying to trade their truck for it, I'd wager. Cold, as I've said ... and windy but you will find work. Prepare for drug-testing. Oh, there's not much ground cover like you may be used to so, you will get dirty and you must learn to protect your hands - dirt will dry them and sagebrush can give you nail-pad infections - but once learned, survival becomes second-nature.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
.....There's a mini-boom going on in the gas-fields of SW Wyoming ...I've lived all over the state, walked about every inch of it, lived my dream for a while (remember Grizzly Adams?) .....
Are there any places where you can live like Grizzly Adams - good fishing, hunting, nice scenery .... and also be near places you can pick up work easily?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Woof, that's a tough one. In Wyoming, the most beautiful spots are nearly impossible to live in for snow-depth, temperatures, access, etc. Star Valley, south of Jackson (Smoot to Alpine) is nearly idyllic - but if you want a job, you might have to go to Idaho. Down in Evanston, you gotta go down to SLC, UT (abt 85 miles). Neither has that much going for it compared to the real world. If you are well-connected and born into the dominant, influential religion of the area it gets better. If your family has been here for years and owns a ranch, it gets better. Cody is next and the area east (Powell, Lovell, Ten-Sleep, Buffalo) but still, way below zero in winter and not a lot of work - we're too sparsley populated here - A state the size of Colorado - but only a half-million residents! You often have to work to catch a fish - takes you half a day sometimes. Sadly, Grizzly Adams was a TV show (filmed mostly in Utah, south slope of the uintas). You still must buy new boots, new jeans, go to the dentist, doctor, etc so, from one who attempted escapism - it's really not a viable road to go down anyplace within 500 miles of here. Great place to visit - and everybody should - many times but good luck achieving the idyllic dream. We do have firewood though! I've lived in my tent at 45 below, sleeping outside by the fire on top of my sleeping bag! It's not the way to go long-term.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the insight RockyMtnr No way I will give up the Vette It is worth about 40K. I have wanted one since I was a kid (30 years ago).

Drug testing...no problem...in fact I don't even drink. By the time I get to WY, I will likely be looking for indoor work, as I will be pushing 50 years old, and won't want to be working outside in the weather. Any type of industrial/mechanical/electrical type of environment. Might even consider opening a car repair business. Don't know if that would thrive or not though. Is the commercial job market any good around there? Anything within an hour away?

Old 12-20-2006, 05:18 PM

I can't really speak on the extreme populated eastern part, ie, Gillette, Cheyenne but it seems in most spots like there's not quite enough of anything - however, there's not a large population base to support a lot of competition either. Our little (12K) area has a few body shops, several tire shops but only a couple of actual mechanic shops. They're pricey too. Here's a keyword to bear in mind -- "diversity". If you can launch more than one way of securing income, you'll do better. Lots of the trade-work slacks off in winter, some doesn't. If things are hopping - and it looks like they're going to in the areas you're narrowing down to, you'll be okay. You're coming up on my age ... and I'm looking to move but I've been here a long time - came from San Diego in my 20's to stay for about 6 months and I'm worn by the conditions - just time for a change is all. It's adventure, John. Don't be scart - sounds like you have what it takes to survive and get by well.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the advice Where do you plan to go to?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:29 PM

We're looking at opportunities in Oregon for personal reasons (family). We're in property-mgt so don't have some of the housing/work problems but are dependent on where the assignment would be. Tried moving back east (OH) where I was raised but it didn't work out - too many changes - wasn't the same place I left and I've been pretty much "ruint" by Wyoming's particular uniquenesses (and Montana's) to go back and dance on that ice anymore! Come on up here when the thaw has come (April, maybe) - you'll never look at a sunset the same again after living here! I'd love to send you a pic I have of storms on the Grand Teton - but can't outwit the technology here yet.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 PM

That's ok, there is lots of pics all over the web My wife and I will hopefully get up there sometime in summer, as we will have to wait for kids to be out of school, to make a 1 or 2 week vacation/journey. I might try to get up myself sooner, as I have a lot more vacation time available to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming