Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 AM

45 posts, read 36,023 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either. I haven't been to Wyoming, so I'm just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. Nature really effects my mood in a positive way, I'd love to spend my time off hiking & exploring different places/parks/trails/etc. I know I need to physically visit places before moving, but it's hard knowing that even if I narrow it down to the state, there's still SO many cities that are polar opposite than others. My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up. I definitely want to be at my happiest & start/create a new life. Obviously being in my 20's I'm also interested living somewhere that's good for singles to meet new people; I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one; sorry for the novel, but thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 01:58 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRhody View Post
Hello, all! I'm a single 25 year old female born & raised in a small town in New England, desperately needing a change! I'd like to live somewhere that's scenic, laid back, has a lot to do outdoors, has a hometown feel, but still close by to a major city, & is also known for food, music, & preferably sports...what're your suggestions/pros & cons? I'm a vet tech which isn't exactly a high paying job, but I love what I do! I'd like to find & meet kind, genuine, down to earth people. I have a very versatile personality which is why I'd like to live in an area with a little bit of everything. I'm an ambivert, there are times I love doing things on my own, which is why I'd like to live in a state/city that has a lot to do outdoors, but I also enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well. Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either. I haven't been to Wyoming, so I'm just trying to narrow down possible locations so I can plan trips & visit before relocating. Nature really effects my mood in a positive way, I'd love to spend my time off hiking & exploring different places/parks/trails/etc. I know I need to physically visit places before moving, but it's hard knowing that even if I narrow it down to the state, there's still SO many cities that are polar opposite than others. My biggest fear is not fitting in or feeling at "home" or that I belong wherever I end up. I definitely want to be at my happiest & start/create a new life. Obviously being in my 20's I'm also interested living somewhere that's good for singles to meet new people; I'm white; Irish & Portuguese to be exact. I was raised Catholic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider myself religious in the sense that I read the bible or go to church. I definitely have my faith & beliefs & pray when I need someone to talk to, but I guess I don't openly discuss it because I don't know how to categorize myself. I don't follow or care for politics, either. However, I'm definitely liberal when it comes down to it. I love animals, but I'm far from vegan & don't get offended by people who wear fur or leather. I'm not materialistic in terms of designer this, designer that, but I'm also not a hipster. I've always considered myself a little bit of everything. I'm pretty versatile & have many different personalities wrapped in one; sorry for the novel, but thank you all in advance!
Just curious how come you aren't considering UT where the high growth rate is creating more opportunities for Vet Techs when you are considering every other western state? Mtns. are 10 minutes from Salt Lake Metro. Yes, the metro has 1.1 million people, but there are many cities in that metro which are smaller. Lots of practices in smaller cities and even like Park City.

I hope you don't answer with a very old and tired answer about the LDS Church. Salt Lake City proper elected a Democrat, Female Mayor who is openly gay. She and her partner have two kids. Utah is about 50% LDS with a large Catholic population. So I hope your reasons are some other reasons. UT has the basic science years for a DVM degree. That program is affiliated with Washington State University. So again, there may be opportunities where the growing DVM program is located.

I'd recommend you get a map out and look for the distance between cities in WY. Jackson Hole will be too expensive. Look at other areas. Check the population of each city. Also, how long will it take to get your Vet Tech license in WY? Interestingly enough, the application fees to become licensed in WY are the most expensive I've seen in the west. Are you comfortable working with large animals?

As I've posted in other threads, where are the available jobs in WY, per the Vet Tech websites, the publications you read and other access you have to jobs? I wouldn't move without a job, even though a city may seem perfect, unless you have enough savings to live for a year waiting for a position to become available.

Good luck finding your next opportunity

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 06-14-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I see a substantial disconnect in your list of requirements here in Wyoming.

The combination you seek of small town living with outdoor activities yet having ready access to entertainment that is found primarily in large towns or cities simply doesn't present here in Wyoming. As you've described: " enjoy being around others & going out for dinner, drinks, sports events, etc. so nightlife is definitely important as well." Much of Wyoming's small town environment is pretty limited in these aspects, especially "nightlife".

As well, the Vet techs I know of here in rural Wyoming have very limited incomes. Affordable housing, transportation, utilities and other needed expenses will not leave you much time or resources to seek out paid entertainment.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:28 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
mountain valley I live in one vet is just large animal, another 60% large, another clinic is equine small animal, only sporting events few rodeos, roping , cutter racing in the winter, everything else would be school sports or little league. nite life down to Friday -Saturday

Old 06-14-2016, 10:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
You would probably love Colorado but not Wyoming. Our state is very conservative; it has no cities over 50k. Liberals who move to Wyoming seldom stay. Think of Wyoming as Vermont in 1950.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 PM

45 posts, read 36,023 times
Thank you all so much for your responses! It seems WY may not be for me; but this is why I posted on here! I never got to travel growing up due to playing sports year round (as well as coming from a broken family & lack of income), & there are so many different states/cities that appeal to me in a scenic sense, so posting on here definitely helps narrow it down...& honestly, I don't have an actual reason for not considering Utah, therefore I definitely will!

Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 PM

138 posts, read 172,333 times
Quote:
Definitely don't want to live in the middle of nowhere (especially since I'm single & would like to find my person), but not necessarily in a large/major city either.
Most of Wyoming is the middle of nowhere. Even Casper, which has a population of 60k, is isolated from anything that is not Casper. Of course, it has its own upsides that I like a lot.

But really, Mtn. States Resident was right to suggest SLC. It is a very nice place. It sounds like it punches a lot of the boxes you want punched.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipes23 View Post
Most of Wyoming is the middle of nowhere. Even Casper, which has a population of 60k, is isolated from anything that is not Casper. Of course, it has its own upsides that I like a lot.

But really, Mtn. States Resident was right to suggest SLC. It is a very nice place. It sounds like it punches a lot of the boxes you want punched.
Sounds good we just want peace n quiet. No waiting in long lines, looking for places to park or stuck in traffic jams. Also don't want to be in a place with lots of traffic signals. I hate stop and go traffic.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Put central New Mexico on your list.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Put central New Mexico on your list.

Who me?

I would only consider Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and maybe North Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: