Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 PM

81 posts, read 469,341 times

Advertisements

I have seen it posted several times that if you can pass a drug test (I can) and have a clean driving record (I had a speeding ticket in 04) that you can get a job in Wyoming. I have had an office job for the last six years and have gotten a little out of shape. How physically demanding are the jobs that are available? I'll be 40 this summer and I have noticed that it is taking a lot more work to get in shape than it did when I was 20. I used to be a Corrections Officer and there were no physical requirements after the initial training. Does anybody know how strenuous the physical requirements are to be employed by the Wyoming Department of Corrections. I can do push ups and sit ups but my wind is seriously deficient. I used to powerlift and I can still bench 350 so I'm not a dough boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 04:33 PM

49 posts, read 210,303 times
Rawlins hires for the state pen. and there are police jobs that do require a physical, the trick is that we are at 5,000+ ft. elevation, if you are not used to it you will be even more winded! I would hit the gym and apply, you don't have to be an athlete, just capable and healthy. The oil and construction jobs can be back breaking and long hours will wear you out, you have to be able to lift 50 lbs. for some of these jobs, there is great money for guys in these fields, but lots of travel and long days. There are office jobs around wyoming, it is not all blue collar, I would check out the Wyoming State Gov. website and go to human resources and look at the current postings, you can apply online. You will need to pass a background check, sometimes have a wy driver's lic., be clean, and have references to work for the state, and they don't pay real high, but it is livable and the benefits and security and not having a strainous or dangerous job can all be an advantage.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,078 times
Default jobs in WY

The other place to look for jobs is the workforce center website. www.wyomingworkforce.org.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Find out the phone number of the wyoming police academy in douglas,wyoming. They should be able to tell you all the requirements to get into any police or corrections type work in the state. It is the place most go to get certified or re-certified as well as trained. They might be able to point you to places to find enployment.
Also there is several places you skill might come into use. The state mental hospital in evanston, the boys reformatory in worland, the girls reformatory in sheridan, the womens prison (i can't remember where), various city businesses that contain people for evaluation or treatment for mental problems. They need people with skills to wrestle problem patients down without hurting them or themselves.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Default Physically demanding?

I worked for the Sheriff's office as a Controller. Our jail is all electronic so I run the control panel to let Detention officers in and out while they moved prisoners. They encouraged us to become Detention Officers because we already knew the routine. Wasn't too bad. Run a mile in 12 minutes, 30 or so situps, 30 or so pushups and your in. Oh, and you had to be tasered. haha that was the part I didn't want to endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming