Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 PM

46 posts, read 53,205 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in Seattle and will be renting a car and driving to Laramie in late June/July to scope out a UW program and the town because I am considering going to school there. From there I'll drive down to Albuquerque to visit a friend. Any advice on the most scenic drive and recommended stopping points would be welcome. I can go at a fairly leisurely pace - 10 days for the entire drive max (that includes perhaps 2 days in Laramie.) & I'm fine with car camping.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Let's break-down your travel agenda & timing:

Realistically, Seattle-Laramie is a two day drive each way, 1200 miles + rest stops/tourism. That's if you're grinding out the daytime miles Seattle-Yakima-Boise-Twin Falls-Ogden-SLC-Evanston-Laramie.

Then two full days in Laramie.

Essentially, you've obligated 6 days of your 10 day trip to that point. That leaves 4 days for your Alb-q-que jaunt.

Laramie to Alb is a solid day of driving (approx 8 hrs driving + rest stops/tourism). So there's 2 more days allocated.

That leaves 2 days to "visit a friend". If it's worth it to you to travel this much for that purpose, so be it.

Add in your "car camping" time ... I'm not sure what you mean by this. For me, "car camping" on this type of trip is taking the time to locate an appropriate Nat'l/State/Local campground and setting up a campsite ... pitching a tent, getting my kitchen gear set up (I like to remote site cook with full meals cooked from scratch, not snarf down junk, convenience, or canned foods), and relax & enjoy the surroundings. If appropriate, find a "fishin' hole" to wet a line in for awhile. Absent showers at a campsite, I'm big on heating up water for the SunShower and enjoying that opportunity to clean up and relax from the day's travels. I used to sleep on an air mattress ... now I use a camp cot and sleep that much better ... age has a way of getting you to appreciate these little details.

IF, OTOH, "car camping" simply means finding a place to toss down a sleeping bag on a pad under the stars ... well, your logistics are an order of magnitude less time consuming but nowhere near as relaxing or taking in the sights of your journey.

From my perspective, your proposed trip is anything but a "leisurely pace" for 10 days. Too many miles to spend a bit of time at your respective destinations.

May I suggest an alternative? and this would just be one possibility, to tour Wyoming a little bit ...

Seattle down to Twin Falls, up to Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Victor, Jackson, then down through the Star Valley to Kemmerer to Lyman, then East to Laramie. Alternatively, Jackson to Pinedale to Rock Springs. The possibilities of incredibly gorgeous vistas and places to explore/camp and enjoy the region are enormous.

IOW, take a route that brings you to the prime outdoor recreation areas of the trip to Laramie ... spend your time there ... and plan on Albi-q-qu as a destination for another trip.

We've left out all of the wonderful outdoor places in Colorado to explore, so there's a whole 'nother bunch of ideal places accessed off the Front Range of Colorado between Wyoming and New Mexico.

For example, head out of Laramie to Woods Landing, and you'll quickly reach some superb camping/outdoor recreation areas in Northern Colorado. IMO, that's a significant aspect of living in the Laramie area ... ready access to low use density wide open spaces for outdoor rec. And then there's so many lakes around the Laramie area. In all candor, you could easily spend your entire 10 day trip just in and around Laramie and just scratch the surface of what's to explore about the area.

How 'bout asking your friend to join you in Laramie? You'd have a lot more quality time for your miles traveled and more opportunities to relax, explore and enjoy. You could then have a window of opportunity to explore some of the Idaho area attractions in your journey.

Don't forget that a lot of preferred "car camping" sites aren't just off the highway. They will take some time and distance to access, which adds to your travel times. Typically, what is accessed just off the highway is just "another cheap motel" and traveler's eats ... not what I'd call fun. FWIW, Mrs Sun had to travel regionally this week and twice encountered such situations ... the "best" she could find near her travel destinations in the eves were some small towns where they "roll up the sidewalks at 8PM", and the available dining choices were abysmal. She deferred eating dinner in favor of finding a breakfast, only finding a couple of truckstops where the hash browns and bacon were better left out for dog food ... and the "omelet" was some dried powder concoction that allegedly recreated an egg. Life's too short to put up with that type of cr*p, especially when the price charged for such garbage is well able to supply "real" food. YMMV.

Good luck with your journey and drive safe.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-13-2017 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
If in no big hurry...
Northerly Route - Yellowstone (crowded, so drive it before 10AM and after 6PM)

Mid route, Rexburg, ID to Jackson WY, then up through Tetons and back to Dubois, WY

Southerly route... good relaxing stop-over spot is Lava Hot Springs, ID or Soda Springs. Then take 34 over to 89 (Afton / Star Valley, WY)

Bit further south... Bear Lake (very nice in late Sept (Aspen))

In WY, good overnight stops at Thermopolis or Saratoga. (Both are hot springs)

Do take the route from Saratoga to Centennial, WY (That will seal the deal for UWyo!)

Nice living history Museum in Encampment (good place to camp too!)

Many WY city parks and fair grounds allow camping.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 PM

Thanks so much the tips. This is a one-way road trip & I'm not including time in ABQ as part of the 10 days.

I will definitely check out the Twin Falls -Idaho Falls-Jackson option. I would love to drive through the Tetons. I have been to Yellowstone before (amazing.)

The scenic route between Saratoga and Centennial does sound really nice. I also do want to check out Fort Collins, since it's Laramie's bigger neighbor.

Then I'll probably follow the itinerary below that I found on Trip Advisor between Denver and Albuquerque. I've also been to Santa Fe several times already, so I won't feel any need to linger there. I love driving & as long as there are some beautiful views along the way, long days on the road are fine with me.

1. Colorado Springs. Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods.

2. Walsenburg. Turn off to Great Sand Dunes NP 80 miles to the west/north.

3. Raton. Visit its very helpful visitorcenter for NM. Also turn off to the east to Capulin Volcano NM on 25 miles. Worth a visit.

4. Inters. 446 to Taos. Very scenic byway 64 to Taos and Santa Fe.

5. Fort Union. Turn off at inters. 366.

6. Las Vegas NM. Worth to visit or stay for the night.

7. Santa Fe.

8. Take inters. 278 and hw 14, the Turquoise Trail to I 40 and ABQ

Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 AM

83 posts, read 95,817 times
So I would say driving through the Tetons is really a treat. Get out of Jackson as fast as possible. Sorry it's just too busy and plastic for me.

One thing we did on an almost reverse route was Craters of the Moon. Really cool. Fantastic wildflowers in the middle of summer. Not a long stop, a few hours is all we did there but well worth it, for us.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Craters of the Moon

Thanks for more tips. I read about the Craters of the Moon. Sounds like a cool place to stop for a look.

I'm curious to see how it compares to what Mt. St. Helens was like 20 years ago.. How much Mt. St. Helens has continued to transform since its eruption is amazing.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:55 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I might go to Red River or Angel Fire and the nearby mountains instead of Ft. Union and Las Vegas NM. Or in addition to if these spots hold interest.

City of Rocks in southeast ID would be a nice spot for camping or a picnic / walk / hangout.

Craters of the Moon and / or Great Sand Dunes I'd try to hit in early morning if possible for most comfortable temps. Or early evening.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-16-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Of course there is lots to see!

I would forego LV, NM, but I really liked Chama, Angel Fire, the Mora Valley and spent a day with the Home | Mora Valley Spinning Mill Looking for ways to avoid this https://www.abqjournal.com/597676/fo...ure-looms.html

For Jun / July, Stick with the Mtns if you have time. You will be spending many hours on I-25 during your lifetime (and during bad weather).

Craters of the Moon is fine too, but I prefer a hot springs (when available).

Both is better yet!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
skip Las Vegas, NM...not much worth seeing there

Old 04-17-2017, 11:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Whatever else you do, I recommend U.S. 285 from Denver to Albuquerque. The scenery in northern New Mexico is some of the most spectacular in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming