Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 11:22 AM

77 posts, read 92,572 times

Advertisements

Morning, considering moving to Rock Springs. Thoughts? Experiences? What do you know about it?

btw I am reading this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...k-springs.html

Well, I have read all the threads lol..some scary stuff..and some good stuff. Does anyone out there know what its like being there as a single woman with a good job?

Thanks,

browneyedgirlca

Last edited by volosong; 02-24-2018 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: no cussing or swearing
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,351,136 times
I seriously doubt there would be any 'good' jobs to be found in such a transitory environment, but I guess it all depends on how you yourself define a 'good' job. Only one way to find out, I reckon.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
You won't read about normal people in the newspaper because they don't do anything to get into the newspaper. It's no different from anywhere else. A single woman with a professional job won't be likely to even notice the marginal members of society—there aren't that many of them. I'd advise you to come for a visit and see what you think. Take a look at the at the country as well as the city. Some people don't like the Red Desert, but I think it's beautiful. Be sure to have reservations.

I used to live in SW Wyoming; I've been in Rock Springs numerous times. I never had the slightest problem of any kind.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I seriously doubt there would be any 'good' jobs to be found in such a transitory environment, but I guess it all depends on how you yourself define a 'good' job. Only one way to find out, I reckon.
It's a really good job..career actually with great benefits, but I understand what you are saying.

Last edited by browneyedgirlca; 02-21-2018 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You won't read about normal people in the newspaper because they don't do anything to get into the newspaper. It's no different from anywhere else. A single woman with a professional job won't be likely to even notice the marginal members of society—there aren't that many of them. I'd advise you to come for a visit and see what you think. Take a look at the at the country as well as the city. Some people don't like the Red Desert, but I think it's beautiful. Be sure to have reservations.

I used to live in SW Wyoming; I've been in Rock Springs numerous times. I never had the slightest problem of any kind.
I have been there a few times but only for a few nights at a time. I guess I wondered what it was like to live there full time. I have lived in a number of cities that would be considered extremely dangerous to many and others that were pretty nice. I am moving up there because it makes sense for me..and its gorgeous to me as well. I eventually would like to branch out to Green River, but I think it depends on what my experiences would be like in Rock Springs. I do remember staying at a pretty nice hotel, eating pretty good Chinese food, and met genuinely nice people. I could say the same about Las Vegas, Detroit, Denver, Chicago, San Francisco and others. There is always some bad in at least one corner of a city..I guess I just want to know the good in Rock Springs.

Thanks, Happy in Wyoming

Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM

507 posts, read 662,985 times
There is an industrial base to much of the employment in Rock Springs. Trona mines, Bridger Power Plant and supporting
coal mine (Black Butte), Jonah oil and gas field, along with some pipeline activity and the requisite suppliers for those
industries. As a result, there are lots of people who have lived in Rock Springs for a period of time, but then moved on to
somewhere else. Some never intended to stay-the jobs pay well and they intended to make money and then head out.
Sometimes they find they like it there and they make a home, raise a family, participate in the local community. I think to
a great extent the negative aspects depend upon who you associate with and where you go...I haven't lived in RS but I am
there on a regular basis, and also haven't encountered any of the marginal members of society as Happy put it. Assume they are there, but I think you have to look for them. I-80 goes thru town, so some unusual people no doubt pass thru.

Most of the people I know there have families and have been in the area a long time. There's a lot of history. Lots of
different European ethnic communities settled in RS. There are more blue-collar people than professional, but I am sure
there's a circle of professionals that associate with each other as well. People there are mostly friendly and unassuming.

It's a relatively high elevation, and high desert topography. I go there year-round, and don't think the winters are really
all that bad. Generally not a lot of snow. Not as windy as a lot of Wyoming, and I-80 hardly ever closes out that way.
In the summer it seems pretty nice. Walking down Dewar Drive one evening, I thought this could easily be mistaken for
parts of Arizona. Happy mentioned the Red Desert, and there's also the Killpecker Dunes. In summer the Flaming Gorge area is really nice. There are frequent events at the Sweetwater Fairgrounds complex. Not far to either Salt Lake City or Provo-good weekend destinations to get out of town-you will see plenty of County 4 plates down in either SLC or Provo.

Can't speak for the perspective of a single woman with a good job. The good job part probably solves some problems.
Housing is kind of expensive, with lots of new areas, but depends on where you are moving from. You might check it out.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
I have been there a few times but only for a few nights at a time. I guess I wondered what it was like to live there full time. I have lived in a number of cities that would be considered extremely dangerous to many and others that were pretty nice. I am moving up there because it makes sense for me..and its gorgeous to me as well. I eventually would like to branch out to Green River, but I think it depends on what my experiences would be like in Rock Springs. I do remember staying at a pretty nice hotel, eating pretty good Chinese food, and met genuinely nice people. I could say the same about Las Vegas, Detroit, Denver, Chicago, San Francisco and others. There is always some bad in at least one corner of a city..I guess I just want to know the good in Rock Springs.

Thanks, Happy in Wyoming
Rock Springs isn't dangerous. There's no street crime. Criminals would have a very dangerous job as so many people carry guns and no one knows who they are. People are supposed to be 21, but no cop in Wyoming would ever deny the right of self-defense to anyone.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirlca View Post
Morning, considering moving to Rock Springs. Thoughts? Experiences? What do you know about it?

btw I am reading this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyomi...k-springs.html

Well, I have read all the threads lol..some scary ****..and some good stuff. Does anyone out there know what its like being there as a single woman with a good job?

Thanks,

browneyedgirlca
Women are in short supply and those with good jobs are like a unicorn sighting. I do like the wide open spaces and proximity to Salt Lake, but definitely didn't care for the town. The main hobbies are drinking, doing meth, and getting pregnant or getting people pregnant. Many locals in Wyoming often don't associate with outsiders. In eight years of living in Wyoming virtually all my friends were also transplants. Sorry to be so blunt. If you have a choice I'd give it a pass.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
There is an industrial base to much of the employment in Rock Springs. Trona mines, Bridger Power Plant and supporting
coal mine (Black Butte), Jonah oil and gas field, along with some pipeline activity and the requisite suppliers for those
industries. As a result, there are lots of people who have lived in Rock Springs for a period of time, but then moved on to
somewhere else. Some never intended to stay-the jobs pay well and they intended to make money and then head out.
Sometimes they find they like it there and they make a home, raise a family, participate in the local community. I think to
a great extent the negative aspects depend upon who you associate with and where you go...I haven't lived in RS but I am
there on a regular basis, and also haven't encountered any of the marginal members of society as Happy put it. Assume they are there, but I think you have to look for them. I-80 goes thru town, so some unusual people no doubt pass thru.

Most of the people I know there have families and have been in the area a long time. There's a lot of history. Lots of
different European ethnic communities settled in RS. There are more blue-collar people than professional, but I am sure
there's a circle of professionals that associate with each other as well. People there are mostly friendly and unassuming.

It's a relatively high elevation, and high desert topography. I go there year-round, and don't think the winters are really
all that bad. Generally not a lot of snow. Not as windy as a lot of Wyoming, and I-80 hardly ever closes out that way.
In the summer it seems pretty nice. Walking down Dewar Drive one evening, I thought this could easily be mistaken for
parts of Arizona. Happy mentioned the Red Desert, and there's also the Killpecker Dunes. In summer the Flaming Gorge area is really nice. There are frequent events at the Sweetwater Fairgrounds complex. Not far to either Salt Lake City or Provo-good weekend destinations to get out of town-you will see plenty of County 4 plates down in either SLC or Provo.

Can't speak for the perspective of a single woman with a good job. The good job part probably solves some problems.
Housing is kind of expensive, with lots of new areas, but depends on where you are moving from. You might check it out.
I am going to be really honest here...I appreciate your honesty about the area. It is a good thing to know about the history of the area which I have read up on quite a bit, I also read a lot about the geography, weather, crime, housing prices, and ethnic makeup of the area. You brought up interesting points about people moving there just for the cash and then heading out as well as Rock Springs being what you make it in terms of association. Honestly, I am a loner...I move a lot of places, meet some people, but it's not really important to me to have a circle of friends or anything. I mean I am sure there is a library, a grocery store, and a few local restaurants I can eat at. Mostly I want to be in Wyoming for the geography itself, the isolation, and the requirement that I be self reliant. I will probably head to Salt Lake sometimes and explore the surrounding states a little more too. I am a hiker..day hiker for now but will begin to start camping overnight in the next couple weeks (novice). How is hiking, camping, etc in the area? I am seriously hoping to stay in Rock Springs or nearby if I am tough enough for it, I guess we will find out.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Rock Springs isn't dangerous. There's no street crime. Criminals would have a very dangerous job as so many people carry guns and no one knows who they are. People are supposed to be 21, but no cop in Wyoming would ever deny the right of self-defense to anyone.
I was thinking about getting a gun myself. ...I am not a hunter so it would be purely for self-protection...should probably get on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming