Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,516 times

Advertisements

I’m moving from South Carolina to your great state very soon and looks like Gillette is going to be my town. My problem is I’m coming out and will be unemployed when I get there. I have enough money saved to pay a lease in full for 6 months to a year. What would you say employment opportunities are currently? Good - poor - excellent. I’ve been in factories most my life and not scared of long hours and hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 PM

400 posts, read 452,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky830 View Post
I’m moving from South Carolina to your great state very soon and looks like Gillette is going to be my town. My problem is I’m coming out and will be unemployed when I get there. I have enough money saved to pay a lease in full for 6 months to a year. What would you say employment opportunities are currently? Good - poor - excellent. I’ve been in factories most my life and not scared of long hours and hard work.
www.wyomingatwork.com

Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 PM

507 posts, read 661,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
This is a good link. You can register on there and search Gillette. Gillette News-Record is the local paper
with classified ads online.

Gillette is in better shape than a year ago. But not coming back as strong as in the past so far this time.
Wyoming has a "boom and bust" economy based on the energy industries. No. 2 industry is tourism.
No. 3 is agriculture. Tourism doesn't pay as well and is seasonal, while agriculture is usually steady but
there are not a lot of openings these days. Today's ranches can be run with less personnel than before.

Higher paying jobs in Gillette will be either mine related or oil and gas related. If you have a CDL, good
driving record and physical card, you could work immediately. CDL A with hazmat and you are golden.
Another handy credential to obtain in Gillette is Mine Safety. Even for jobs just going in and out of the mines, MSHA is helpful. Support jobs for mines or oil and gas like delivery, technicians assistant, shop
and warehouse. Railroads are hiring again in Wyoming, but I don't know about Gillette area. Railroad
is another big component in the Gillette picture.

House prices have been down a bit, rentals probably as well. Should be good time as far as housing
being available. Gillette has nice infrastructure like events going on at Camplex, nice rec center, stuff
at Gillette College, etc. and proximity to Bighorn Mtns, Devils Tower, Bear Lodge and Black Hills, or
Keyhole Lake. Gotta admire your confidence...someone coming to Wyo without work-most without
work have been leaving.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
I live in Gillette, so if there's anything you need to know, I'll do my best to give you accurate feedback. But you haven't given much information, and that's pretty important when you're asking about jobs.

Gillette went from an unemployment rate of about 1% to about 9% a few years ago. It happened fairly suddenly when coal demand took a huge dive along with oil prices dropping to the point ($30/barrel) where it cost more to extract it than it was worth. As you might imagine, lay-offs were wide-spread. I think the coal mines laid off 500-600 workers, and at the same time there were probably even more oil workers who were either laid off or their hours were cut in half. Then there were the support people for those coal mines/miners and oil workers -- railroad workers, machinists, various contract workers and all the other retail/restaurant/entertainment jobs. We really took it on the chin. I think unemployment for the county now stands at just over 5%, so jobs are out there. Whether you're qualified for the ones that pay well or not is the big question. If you want to work in a restaurant, I can almost guarantee a job within a few days, but you probably won't earn a living wage unless you're a chef or a waiter/waitress who can pull in big tips.

It's slowly growing back now, but unless/until oil prices go through the roof again, it could be years before Gillette even gets back to where it was at the peak. Coal is the BIG tax payer in Gillette, of course. Oil extraction provides lots of jobs but doesn't bring in the taxes like coal does. Campbell County provides around 1/3 of the nation's coal. Because it's relatively clean coal, with a very low sulfur content, and because it's easy to mine (100' thick coal seams under 100' of overburden), it's doing better than most coal states, but with no coal-fired power plants being built, it's just a matter of time before we see more big cuts in coal use.

Lots of rentals available at very reasonable rates, as rental vacancy currently stands at 12.6%

http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/ne...fc4e9c6dd.html

Last edited by WyoNewk; 05-02-2018 at 09:04 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 09:21 PM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath, that anybody will rent to you, before you have a job. So you should recalculate the six months to a year, based on the cost of a hotel or motel stay.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,294 times
Might want to visit this link as well...many recent-arrivals are keen to think that Wyoming will bend over backwards to accomodate the same exact wants & needs that they were accustomed-to, where they came from...and that simply is not the case here.

https://www.wrongfulterminationlaws....ws/wyoming.htm

Old 05-03-2018, 04:51 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Personally I think it's a bad idea to move anywhere with no job lined out. Plus I agree with what Cloudy Dayz mentioned.

Last edited by NDak15; 05-03-2018 at 05:12 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 11:19 AM

Well I have no CDL of any type but I do have 20 years of experience with running machines that are somewhat technical. I also have experience in quality , supervision, and forklift driving. I’m confident I have the resume for gaining a job. I just don’t know if it’s good enough for coal and oil industry. I definitely can’t survive on working at Pizza Hut or Wal-Mart....

I did manage to talk to a few apartment complexes and I can pay ahead 6 months but I have to show proof savings account or investments like a 401k.. which I have. If this proves to be difficult , what other places in Wyoming would be worth looking at? Jobs , weather, crime etc ... also thank you for time in reading and responding

Robert

Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM

507 posts, read 661,686 times
After Gillette, your best bets would be Cheyenne, Casper, Rock Springs, and Sheridan. Cheyenne and Casper will have the most manufacturing/production/warehouse jobs. Rock Springs is smaller than Gillette, while Sheridan is only a bit over half
the size of Gillette. Rock Springs is on the western side of WY-other primary prospects on that side are Riverton (service and supply) or Cody (tourism). Forklift is good-that will help you, as may overhead crane. There are not a ton of machinist type jobs but a decent quantity of warehouse/distribution (many of which support mining or oil and gas but are not directly in the extractive industries).

This is our problem in WY. Agriculture isn't likely to expand much, and rodeo biz is as big as were gonna get. WY needs more small scale manufacturing companies. Weatherby moving to Sheridan is a good example. (You might check them)
We waste our time going after the big stuff like high tech for Cheyenne or Laramie. (How many kale and sushi eaters really want to live in Cheyenne?) Then supposedly we don't have the size of workforce needed. Well, I don't think that would be a problem with small manufacturing/production companies that are dispersed throughout the state. I see this works quite well in small towns in the Midwest. We could get more firearms makers, agriculture equipment makers-our business tax climate is much better than the Midwest. Anyway.....

Gillette may be one of the best places to look for a job in WY right now, but don't know how many others might be going for the same opening. Crime isn't really a concern. Only really if you moved into a neighborhood with what I call rioting
rednecks in Cheyenne or Casper. Where I live you don't even lock the house or worry if you left the keys in the pickup.
Weather happens...wind mostly. Some spots are milder than others but it's not like South Carolina: dry, less humidity.
Having financial discipline and resources is good-lots of the people who had to leave WY when the layoffs hit had not done
any planning or saving.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Wyoprairie you are a great person. Thank you so much for everything! I will look at Casper and Cheyenne as well as other places before I jump into this. I’m to young to retire but I need a serious life change. Wyoming has always appealed to me. My little town here in Carolina is dying right in front of my eyes.

Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming