Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 16,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
1.) A huge NO to Kaycee. Not going to elaborate but that is advise you should definitely take.
2.) Wyoming is just like every other state with extreme $ waste and corrupt self serving individuals either hired or voted in. The $ waste is substantial. Wyoming hasn't been run by true republicans in the 27 yrs I've lived here. Only rhinos but hopefully that's on it's way to changing. To be fair the ppl vote alot of the waste in so...what do you do?
3.) Wy $/pupil ratio is very high. Results, aren't there to support that ratio, imo.
4.) $500k budget is fine in most counties except Teton although the problem is that's not enough for the high end builders in most counties which they are the competent builders. Drop down from those high end builders and personally I'd bring in competent builders out of state if I had to. We built our homes personally because of this. In that $ range, Sheridan county will have the toughest building codes which raises the home cost.
5.) Sports-Gillette. Horses, 4H-Gillette or Sheridan. Edible resturants-Gillette. Firm believer in keeping kids busy but wished I'd done alot more chasing the good Lord and spending more time in the mountains with the kids. Our kids turned out great and very blessed.
6.) Huge secret: after tourist go home, we get the mountains to ourselves 9 mths of the yr. Very few of the locals spend time in the mountains in winter. I spend alot of time outside, in the mountains.
7.) Wyoming is a great state to live in but we are very to ourselves. There are tremendous opportunities in Wy. We came from nothing 27 yrs ago and have thrived in Wy.
Thanks for the advice on this. For us the biggest attraction is the opprotunity for public lands and outdoor activities for sure. Also very good to know about the builders. I too do much of my own work but unless it falls in the summer/spring my time gets crunched on being able to do the work by myself. I actually love doing the work. It is a nice breakup for the school setting. I work for some contractors here in the summer.

I really like Gillette too. Been there a number of time. I see alot of bad reviews..I come from a really really blue collar community. We are an old foundry town but turned into more modern manufacturing though. CNC and the like. Still a very blue collar community and sounds similar to Gillette. They have a pretty sweet rec center too.

I hope all tuens out ok with the state budget and some issues can be solved. Like I said we went through that in 08-09 when manufacturing just got crushed. Hang in there guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 11:51 AM

17 posts, read 16,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You can find some outdoor things to do in winter on the better days. Some days probably better to stay in or at least close to home. Dress smart (and have extra with you) and use judgment. More caution at first, especially if doing stuff alone or with kids. You can figure it out. Just don't do something big without proper prep. Car prep. Survival gear in the car and on your back. Learn more about snow travel (by car and foot), avalanches, what is too cold / dangerous to mess with. Watch how others do it. Ask ahead of need to know now / surprises.

-10 is somewhat different than 26 and -25 to -35 is different than -10. Douglas is probably on the less severely cold end of WY weather but still has 5 months that average below 30 degrees at night and over 20 days per year that start out below zero. (Will the car start? Did you do anything to improve those odds?) Pinedale is on the colder end of WY weather. 8 months of lows averaging at or below 30 degrees. Might freeze or snow in any month. An average of 56 days starting out below zero. 78 days never getting to 32 for a high. Know what you and rest of family are getting into. Maybe one or more are tough enough but is everybody and willing?
Thank you! Great points to consider for sure.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:09 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler85 View Post
I would love too visit in the winter. It just gets difficult as my time off is pre determined by a school schedule. I have been out there in the winter months when I worked for my company in Utah. I traveled through the Dakotas, Montana and Wyo. Definately different than in the summers.

We see the same effects here. We have alot of lake communities here. Those towns shut down until April. Thats why having a rec center. Like a YMCA for youth sports,swim team ect is important for us. That is what we do in the winter. Our winters tend to hang on until May here the last couple of years.

We try to stay outside as much as possible. Went hiking in the state park yesterday. Build a fort in the woods day before. I think it was 26 outside. Did a pheasant hunt. Started training our golden on some birds. Even in the cold we try to be out as much as possible doing those tings.

Would those things be possible in the winter? I've experienced the wind in Wyo before in the winter months. THAT IS NO JOKE. That toatally kicked my butt. I think that would be the most difficult part about it.

Like I said I would love to get out in January it just gets hard to do because I have limited time with pre determined breaks.

Thanks again for all of the info!
Sounds like you've had a taste of the winter weather here and it didn't deter you, so that's a good thing for sure. If you can find things to enjoy doing outside, even in the winter that is a huge plus because then you won't go as stir crazy as the winters drag on and on. We've had snow all the way into June here, and it starts up again in September. I've even heard of it snowing in July although I haven't witnessed that yet.

Wyoming is a great state for hunting in. It's huge in our area and provides food for the winter for many of the families. If you're into hunting you'll fit right in. Also ice fishing is big here too.

It sounds like you've been doing your research on Wyoming and that's a good sign that you'll know what you're getting into when you come here to stay. I asked a lot of questions too and took the advice I received here to heart. These are great people and they many be initially wary of newcomers, but they will warm up to you if you make Wyoming your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming