Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 03:56 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times

Advertisements

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/10...e5tA%3D.UXPtrV

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 05:39 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Living in Wyoming has never been considered cheap. All seven of those no-state income tax states are that way. NH is far worse than WY. It's all about give and take. You want to not pay a state income - well, the offset is higher property, vehicle fees - they all add up to where there's no longer and advantage. My GGF used to call it tax regression.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:24 PM

"If it isn't one thing it's another".
"Pay now or pay later".

New construction single family homes have higher property taxes wherever you go to in the States compared to a home 20 years or older in the same area

Old 10-06-2023, 12:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
My income tax free domicile decided to raise my property taxes from $3/ day to now $46/ day. Same property, no further improvements, only more worn out.

but... That was not enough, yesterday I got a 're-assessment' + 350.09% increase on my 'improvements' (old worn out house). If my home burns to the ground, I will still owe over $10k / yr taxes on my 'crispy' ash filled property.

I will definitely be 'renting' in my old age.

Income tax free states seem to lose their luster when you no longer have income.

Californication of property values caused us to leave our ranch in the Greenie State back in the 1970's. Then... the unaffordable property taxes eventually caught up to me in my relocation state. It was OK because the wages were much higher there. But... my last paycheck was in 2005. Since then... it (money) all flows OUT. Finally reached age 65, so Healthcare premium is no longer $3,300/ month, but taxes are a bit more than that. (My highest ever mortgage was $900/ month, taxes are about 1.5x that). I 're-buy' my purchase price in taxes alone, every 6.5 yrs

Assessor should have a little check-box... Check here to sell your property to the county for the assessment amount, CASH!
Many local props get bought, then house is torn down and the land returned to National Forest Service. Then... just like our Greenie property... no more game / cattle trails, just protected Mountain Bike Trails and public access. No more Cow Pies allowed!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-06-2023 at 12:27 AM..

Old 10-06-2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My income tax free domicile decided to raise my property taxes from $3/ day to now $46/ day. Same property, no further improvements, only more worn out.

but... That was not enough, yesterday I got a 're-assessment' + 350.09% increase on my 'improvements' (old worn out house). If my home burns to the ground, I will still owe over $10k / yr taxes on my 'crispy' ash filled property.

I will definitely be 'renting' in my old age.

Income tax free states seem to lose their luster when you no longer have income.

Californication of property values caused us to leave our ranch in the Greenie State back in the 1970's. Then... the unaffordable property taxes eventually caught up to me in my relocation state. It was OK because the wages were much higher there. But... my last paycheck was in 2005. Since then... it (money) all flows OUT. Finally reached age 65, so Healthcare premium is no longer $3,300/ month, but taxes are a bit more than that. (My highest ever mortgage was $900/ month, taxes are about 1.5x that). I 're-buy' my purchase price in taxes alone, every 6.5 yrs

Assessor should have a little check-box... Check here to sell your property to the county for the assessment amount, CASH!
Many local props get bought, then house is torn down and the land returned to National Forest Service. Then... just like our Greenie property... no more game / cattle trails, just protected Mountain Bike Trails and public access. No more Cow Pies allowed!
That is down right horrible!
I know the State of Washington in the Pacific Northwest (another no state income tax state) is real bad in that there is no property tax cap so the tax accessor can raise property taxes as high as 30% annually
Alot of seniors and fixed income folks end up losing their home because of this.

"Californication of property values caused us to leave our ranch in the Greenie State back in the 1970's. Then... the unaffordable property taxes eventually caught up to me in my relocation state".

In the Republik of Kalifornia, there is a 2% cap on property taxes annually because of Proposition 13 back from 1978 which is much better but there are alot more other cons against this place. But even then you look at the prices of those homes today in San Fransicko, the mortgages are $8,000+ to $10,000+ a month pending how much cash you put down and the taxes are 15,000+ a year depending on price of the house but property tax is property tax which comes to over $1,000+ a month and this is just is for a medicore home to a home in a bad high crime area = 1.2 million+. No large homes or mansions in Pacific Heights or St. Francis Woods for us common folk.

Nevada State Property taxes are similiar on a positive note I understand around 3% and Nevada is a no State Income Tax State.

Old 10-06-2023, 05:56 AM

NV like AK and WY largest landowner is the Fed Govt.

Stay on subject please

Old 10-07-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
NV like AK and WY largest landowner is the Fed Govt.

Stay on subject please
What does this mean when the Fed Govt. is the largest landowner of these above states?

Old 10-08-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What does this mean when the Fed Govt. is the largest landowner of these above states?

Duh

Old 10-08-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Duh

Old 10-09-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You're a product of a California education aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming