Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 09:16 AM

253 posts, read 259,440 times

Advertisements

Property should be taxed/assessed according to current real value. IMO. Say I paid 100k for my home in 22' and was acquisition based taxed at that 100k I paid. Property has already started down so a year from now say my property is only worth 50k. Yet I'm still being taxed for that 100k property
That's not right. After the 3 years adjustment the property should go back to current value taxation. Will it, NO!!

We paid about 30% more for our land in 20'. Normally we wouldn't but it's beautiful property, were retired and the great Lord blessed us to be able to do so. That being said I only want to be taxed on the Current value of what I could sell it for in the future. Not what we paid for it.

I have no idea how we will be taxed as we bought the property and built the cabin ourselves so acquisition based will only be on the land??

Currently our property tax is acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 12:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That is down right horrible!
I know the State of Washington in the Pacific Northwest (another no state income tax state) is real bad in that there is no property tax cap so the tax accessor can raise property taxes as high as 30% annually
Alot of seniors and fixed income folks end up losing their home because of this.

"Californication of property values caused us to leave our ranch in the Greenie State back in the 1970's. Then... the unaffordable property taxes eventually caught up to me in my relocation state".

In the Republik of Kalifornia, there is a 2% cap on property taxes annually because of Proposition 13 back from 1978 which is much better but there are alot more other cons against this place. But even then you look at the prices of those homes today in San Fransicko, the mortgages are $8,000+ to $10,000+ a month pending how much cash you put down and the taxes are 15,000+ a year depending on price of the house but property tax is property tax which comes to over $1,000+ a month and this is just is for a medicore home to a home in a bad high crime area = 1.2 million+. No large homes or mansions in Pacific Heights or St. Francis Woods for us common folk.

Nevada State Property taxes are similiar on a positive note I understand around 3% and Nevada is a no State Income Tax State.
Not quite true, there is a cap on the percentage that can be charged, 1% of market value. What inflates our property tax is the voter approved tax levies for things like schools, and the assessor using current market rate for values. In our case the various levies are 30% of our $12,000/year property tax in Sammamish WA. and our value has gone from $190k in 1993 when we bought to $1.3 million today.

Old 10-11-2023, 04:52 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not quite true, there is a cap on the percentage that can be charged, 1% of market value. What inflates our property tax is the voter approved tax levies for things like schools, and the assessor using current market rate for values. In our case the various levies are 30% of our $12,000/year property tax in Sammamish WA. and our value has gone from $190k in 1993 when we bought to $1.3 million today.
Thanks for the clarification and update.

$12,000 annually for property tax

Old 10-12-2023, 09:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Thanks for the clarification and update.

$12,000 annually for property tax
The caps in WA are county wide, not individual property specific. The county has the latitude to manipulate their assessments to best meet future revenue needs.

Don't let WY go there!

Actual current valuation can easily be skewed higher quite simply by speculative sales / transfer of properties in your neighborhood. (We're in a federally restricted building region, so land locked, and this yr a foreign national paid 3x value for a spot of bare land, thinking he could build a castle there.

County and Feds would not allow building a castle, so... His land stays vacant, and our neighboring prop valuations all tripled due to his ignorant purchase.

Another falsity in valuation.... Your old worn out home, is probably not spiffed up for sale, as was the one the assessor used for a 'comparable sales' valuation to assign to your home.

Nor should the 7-10% selling commission expense built into the comparable sale, be applied to your valuation.

I spend a lot of time in court contesting my valuations. Assessor warns... "Don't do that!". They will always win in the end. My assessor claims he will give our home to his parents when he buys it at the tax sale. He says, "they'll really like living here".

Old 10-12-2023, 10:04 AM

Texas is another income tax free state, which has high property taxes to compensate. Texas has gone on steroids to make 257 counties, each duplicating the infrastructure and costs, and each having many school districts. (Very inefficient, but very Texan (we're doing this My Way)

The school districts all get to tax you, just like the county (duplicated efforts), so... The more government entities = more inefficiency = more jobs = more revenue needs.

There is no end to how messed up taxation can get.

Keep tabs on your government.
Avoid standing in front of the steamroller.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:58 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Texas is another income tax free state, which has high property taxes to compensate. Texas has gone on steroids to make 257 counties, each duplicating the infrastructure and costs, and each having many school districts. (Very inefficient, but very Texan (we're doing this My Way)

The school districts all get to tax you, just like the county (duplicated efforts), so... The more government entities = more inefficiency = more jobs = more revenue needs.

There is no end to how messed up taxation can get.

Keep tabs on your government.
Avoid standing in front of the steamroller.
Nevada Property Taxes do not appear to be as bad Washington State or Texas State.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:43 PM

States have other ways to gather taxes.
WY = energy extraction sector
NV = cash extraction sector

The most 'fair(?)' Tax system is usually a broad distribution, taking a little here and a little there, thus not forced to be a hog in any one revenue stream.

Colorado is currently considered to be quite fair to the general populous, but we left Colorado in the 1970s over property taxation. no ag exemption at the time, so county determined to tax our ranch as if a subdivision. (Highest and best use)

I did reap the benefits of no income tax during my earning yrs, in a high paying state. There are better domiciles once you have no income. But.... I am not solo to choose my own path. I hear.... "Sure you can relocate to X.... You will be very lonely, and very broke, think hard about it."

Old 10-13-2023, 08:30 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Living in Wyoming has never been considered cheap. All seven of those no-state income tax states are that way. NH is far worse than WY. It's all about give and take. You want to not pay a state income - well, the offset is higher property, vehicle fees - they all add up to where there's no longer and advantage. My GGF used to call it tax regression.
False, NH has many towns with very low property taxes that are in reasonably short driving distances to services and amenities. They are mostly retiree oriented towns in the Lakes Region.

Old 10-13-2023, 12:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
False, NH has many towns with very low property taxes that are in reasonably short driving distances to services and amenities. They are mostly retiree oriented towns in the Lakes Region.

I hardly think 2% TAX on newly purchased real estate is cheap. WY has 0.61% on the assessed valuation, but the distances are greater - sometimes two or more hours - like Cody to Billings for a COSTCO or St Vincent's.

But that's just my opinion.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
I hardly think 2% TAX on newly purchased real estate is cheap. WY has 0.61% on the assessed valuation, but the distances are greater - sometimes two or more hours - like Cody to Billings for a COSTCO or St Vincent's.

But that's just my opinion.

Tell that to the wealthy people who have parked massive amounts of real estate wealth in a town like Moultonborough, with an equalized tax rate of $4.78 per $1,000 assessed value, a tax rate lower now than 15 years ago. The valuation of all real estate in the town is $4.8 billion, not that bad for having around 5000 residents. There are also plenty of lower priced properties away from the lakes that are far more of a bargain compared to what you find in many areas of the Mountain West these days.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/municipal/documents/22-tax-rates.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming