Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:06 PM

49 posts, read 91,129 times

Advertisements

Sounds funny but, we are looking for a reason to move out of the South. I love the south, don't get me wrong but WOW. We just can't take the heat anymore. Thought about Colorado, sounds good but, can anyone just tell me what its like to live in Wyoming. Anything just a quick statement. No information needed can find all of that on the internet, but a good reason why you like living there would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outasightoutamind View Post
...We just can't take the heat anymore.
good reason's to live in Wyo
1) won't have to worry about the heat from 1 Sept > 1 July
2) I like to drive (can drive 70 miles without meeting another car (or pickup))
3) the beauty of the Big Horns (Burgess Jct)
4) a peaceful float trip down a desolate river, meeting up with a bear, moose, elk, otter...
5) fly fishing in a mtn stream with NO FISHING PRESSURE
6) can fly a kite w/ 160# testline
7) the buttes around Pine Bluffs are gorgeous when driving without lights on a moonlit night with glistening snow (usually due to broken alternator... and the need to get to Sidney to meet my Rapid City driver)
8) the people are friendly, helpful and can carry on a conversation (about something besides sport teams / coffee / tv)
9) the steaks are good (hearty cows )
10) abundant fresh air (an pretty nice tumble weeds too!)

(BTW) in honor of the IRS...that time of the year Tax Friendly

Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM

610 posts, read 3,320,268 times
janb - pretty much sums it up - plus, you can go camping without a reservation once you get used to words like "BLM". You can drive for miles and miles - on dirt roads - without seeing a mailbox. The sky is so big you can wrap up in it. It can freeze any night of the year. Even on a night in late July, you can warm yourself next to a campfire (careful in fire season). You can get snowed on any month of the year (okay, in August, you have to try). Elbow room - you can pull off the side of many roads - look all around you in every direction and see 50-70 miles ... and there's nothing there - no houses, no fenceposts, no people. Stand tall in Wyoming - it helps block the wind for the rest of us!

Old 01-20-2007, 01:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Rockymtr said it square.

I can't believe how sqaure he put it.

Come on home. Hell, I'll send you my phone number and take you fishing.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:27 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Makes me wish I was heading there right now. I especially like #8 as I am not a big pro sports fan...to me they all make to much $$$ for playing a "hobby" or fun sport.

I love a big juicy steak and I would love to be able to see stars at night, without them getting washed out from the big city lights.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Rockymtr said it square.

I can't believe how sqaure he put it.

Come on home. Hell, I'll send you my phone number and take you fishing.
Who you wantin' to take fishin'?
Y'know, JG, you spend some time out here in "the patch" and you learn things in a way that nobody else will ever learn them. Go juggin' right past a shy-ol' bear, tick off a gigantic moose, stand your post on a 40 below morning with the 60mph wind as the only thing holding you on the edge of a cliff - while standing 4ft deep in 18ft of snow ... with your snowshoes on! So hardy that you take off walking nowhere in particular, see a fairly high ridgeline a mile or so in front of you - and figure you can do two or three of those before turning around! You learn the true meaning and necessity of gaitors - yet, you get so tough that you can run out to the mailbox or the garbage-can barefoot, in shorts with your shirt half-unbuttoned at 10 below - only to catch pneumonia by walking into someone's house or store with the furnace running! What a place! Did I mention I'm moving to Oregon?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
janb nailed it down.

but, if you need to be talked into moving up here, you're not ready for Wyoming life ....

Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
oh come on now, you know I missed some other 'good stuff', like...
11) Laying on a hot rock on a brisk August night at Veedawoo, watching the meteor showers.
12) the thrill of scooting around a winter road closure barricade and blasting down an 'empty' (you hope...) snow drifted road - then the joy of seeing the lights of the next town. (and no blinking ones behind...)
13) a hot coffee at Hawk Springs (or anywhere else in the 'out-back') during a good blizzard.
14) a Saturday night dance at Kaycee
15) Driving by 'reflectors' cuz the snow is blowing across the road blocking view from 3' down (hoping you don't mistakenly drive between 2 on the same side of road @ 70 mph) The 'yellows' and 'whites' really help - big improvement, if you can see that far ahead... being able to see 3 reflectors ahead = full throttle !!!
16) a fierce lightning storm chasing across the prairie, or viewed from the top of Snowy Range
17) the Lusk Plunge...(when riding your MC to or from the Black Hills).. it's been 30+ yrs, probably gone...
18) camping in city parks
19) cheap Ice Cream cone @ Little America after a hot ride in the saddle (of the pickup truck) or a cool brewsky at some 'outback' tavern.
20) a REAL hotbeef sandwich at a sale barn, instead of the cardboard stuff they sell at 'chain' diners

and on and on...
as ss said, you need to have a passion for this stuff and area, and stop and smell the sage, yucca, & cactus (few roses in these parts...)

What about the joy of seeing that one of the trees you've been nursing for 10 yrs (finally 4' tall...) survived another winter - Yippee!!, we'll have a wind break in no time...

Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Hot beef sandwich at the sale barn. They closed the sale barn in Sheridan. As far as I'm concerned, it was the best place in town to eat.

We have a couple little restaurts left that are outstanding. I refuse to go to places like Perkins or JB's. They just come around and bother you every few minutes. Not like going to Silvers and have the people ask you how your doing and they really care for your answer.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:49 AM

So you see, OUTASIGHT, there are plenty of reasons to live here - you just have to be willing to learn from the locals, enjoy from the heart and let your soul feast on the amazing reality that is Wyoming! We wouldn't tell you this stuff if it wasn't true - and you'd have trouble finding all this anywhere else!
Wyoming - Like no place on Earth! (bring shopping catalogues please).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming