Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 12,553 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from California, and my husband is from Cheyenne originally.
He's in the Air Force, and we are seeking orders to Cheyenne.
I just wanted to see if I could get more information on the state and city.
I am African American and my husband is white. My main concern is us moving there, and having people stare and act weird. I understand that you might get that anywhere, but we plan to settle down and have a baby in a year or so, and I want to move to a place where we can make friends and be excepted.
I already checked to see how the race demographic, and the black population is low. which is fine, but I want a state is open to various races.
I don't want to be the one black person in a sea of white people that treat me weirdly. I'm not ghetto by any means, and I actually have mostly white friends here in Cali, but they don't treat me any differently.
I hope what I'm asking makes sense. I'm just really really nervous about the move, but the state is beautiful and I love the economy value there.
Can anyone reassure me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Why don't you take the time to go back through the various threads on this subject in the forum?

You might just get some meaningful information regarding your concerns. This has been very thoroughly discussed at great length in the past.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetapplepi View Post
I'm originally from California, and my husband is from Cheyenne originally.
He's in the Air Force, and we are seeking orders to Cheyenne.
I just wanted to see if I could get more information on the state and city.
I am African American and my husband is white. My main concern is us moving there, and having people stare and act weird. I understand that you might get that anywhere, but we plan to settle down and have a baby in a year or so, and I want to move to a place where we can make friends and be excepted.
I already checked to see how the race demographic, and the black population is low. which is fine, but I want a state is open to various races.
I don't want to be the one black person in a sea of white people that treat me weirdly. I'm not ghetto by any means, and I actually have mostly white friends here in Cali, but they don't treat me any differently.
I hope what I'm asking makes sense. I'm just really really nervous about the move, but the state is beautiful and I love the economy value there.
Can anyone reassure me?
I'm sorry, I'm an old Wyoming Cowboy. Why would anybody stare or look at you weird? Do you have two noses? 3 ears? hahahaha You know I'm giving you a ration.

We, in Wyoming, look at neighbors. Do they help you out in a snow storm? Do they give you a ride when you really need one? Are they friends?

What does color have to do with anything? I'm kind of tan, the ex wife was really white no matter how much she stood in the sun. hahahaha She was either white, or really pink and I was applying lotion.

But really, we don't look at color. I can really appreciate your heretige, I can respect it. But do you know I'm Bohiemian? Watch out now. haha Us Bohunks are running wild.

Please, if you can get orders to Cheyenne, do it. You will be a welcome neighbor, not an odd couple.

Can you shovel a walk? Can you lean into the wind? You'll do fine. haha

Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM

This particular topic has not been discussed for Cheyenne. I have already checked the forum posts. =]

Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetapplepi View Post
This particular topic has not been discussed for Cheyenne. I have already checked the forum posts. =]
I beg to differ. I, for one, have written extensively about the Black community presence in Cheyenne and the well placed, highly respected, valuable members of the community that they have been at various times ... including the present ... throughout Cheyenne's history.

You will find Blacks here in managerial jobs, service jobs, professional jobs, sales jobs ... not a lot of them here, as the community is small. But most certainly not discriminated against as you might fear in other portions of the country.

Indeed, as I mentioned in my postings, one of the most treasured memories of Cheyenne is that of a Black physician who was a famous local who gave superb service to the community and is fondly regarded by all.

This area of the West was settled by a lot of "outcasts" from other portions of the USA. There was a significant minority presence from those who chose to leave the big cities of the Eastern USA ... for either religious, cultural, or race reasons.

True to the local culture, how you rode your horse, took care of your livestock, helped out your neighbor when needed, etc. ... was all much more important than your color.

There's a reason why a Lincoln Memorial is located just outside of Cheyenne. Wyoming has been a leader in issues such as civil rights and the women's right to vote.

But I repeat myself here from many other threads ... which is not what I set out to do.

Really, your concerns have been repeatedly and at great length discussed in this forum, and with great specificity and applicability to Cheyenne as well as other places in Wyoming.

In my experience, you won't be treated any differently than you'd care to treat others. Come on out and pull your weight, do your share, and be a good neighbor and you'll be treated accordingly. Come on out and expect a handout and with an entitlement mentality, and you'll get less than a good response.

ElkHunter has tried to make light of it ... it's true ... it's what you contribute positively to living out here that's the issue. If you want to make a big deal out of "being Black" (whatever that means ...) and "interracial couple", it will be a big deal to everyone else. For the most part, nobody really gives a damn around here ... unless you chose to make it a prime concern over the other .... more important ... traits of being a good neighbor.

As a postscript ... I'd mention that I was in Sam's Club the other day, shopping ... and saw at least a half dozen children that were from interracial couples there. One that I've seen several times before I know has been adopted by a local couple ... I don't know what their religious affiliation is, but they do wear obvious "religious group" clothing for themselves. If you've been around Mennonites or similar old order groups, you'll know what I mean. The kids were happy and playful, heading for the food "samples" and behaving just like anybody else's kids in the store. I didn't see them behaving in any manner that would suggest they were afraid of being out there with everybody else.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-24-2008 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks very much for the help. I did indeed do a search for the topic, and was unable to fine something to quiet my fears. Your post however, has done just that. =]
I've read the posts about people moving to Cheyenne and " doing nothing", whatever that is supposed to mean. I do hope that what you say is true in regards to the " interracial couple" topic. But perhaps one would have to be in the situation themselves to truly give an answer.
Thanks for the help. =]

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
In my experience Wyoming is such a melting pot that Race is not something most people worry about. Now you may run into folks who have moved to Wyoming and brought thier prejudice with them but , I think for the most part you won't have any trouble.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 PM

59 posts, read 226,365 times
there are many bi racial couples in cheyenne. i am a cheyenne native and can assure you, you should not have any issues. sorry you have to get the third degree instead of the simple answer you requested.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 AM

46 posts, read 364,977 times
My recommendation is the same for everyone thinking of moving to Wyoming - come out and spend some time here, including winter, if possible. In your case, it'd be good for you to come out and see what day-to-day life would be like with your husband. Go out shopping (such as it is), to the movies, eating, etc. and see how people react or don't. Cheyenne is a bit diverse because of Warren, so you certainly won't be the first biracial couple to live there.

Here's some links to info about Cheyenne, and Wyoming in general that you might find interesting:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Cheyenne-Wyoming.html

Cheyenne, WY - Official Website

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/Wy_facts/facts07.pdf

Welcome to the State of Wyoming

Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 13,818 times
Default Moving to Gillette, WY from Chicago, IL to be with my fiance (we're an interracial couple)...NEED SUGGESTIONS!!! ( :

Hi Sweetapplepi,

WHEEEEEEEEEW!!!! What a RELIEF to find someone who has similar concerns about interracial relationships, moving to WY (Gillette), and a similar upbringing (I am also from California, very comfortable being around all cultures/races and having majority of friends of different ethnic backgrounds and races, am also well-spoken and open-minded as you convey yourself to be).

My boyfriend and I just got engaged (YAY!!) and he lives in Gillette, WY and I am from Chicago (originally from California too!). I am moving with him next month--we're an interracial couple and am therefore very interested in learning more about the city and possible activities and things of interest. Being from a huge urban and metropolitan (and cosmpolitan) city, I am experiencing some anxiety and concerns regarding my impending move to Gillette.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do in Gillette?

A bit about me:

- I am VEGAN VEGETARIAN (need to find health food stores)
- I won't be working so I'd like to find hobbies and things to do with my time. Some of the things I enjoy:

- I love to work out...so am interested in a tennis club, gym, yoga, spa treatments (anything I can pamper myself)...
- I would love to join a wine club/gathering...
- I'd like to meet others in their 30's....
- I'd like to meet other women who are engaged/married without children or who have children but are able to do things with me (girly, pampering stuff)
- I'm very open-minded about life in general and want to meet good, good people.

Thanks for your help.
Hoping someone or many people will respond.

Cheers,
figure8shape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming