Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM

10 posts, read 58,724 times

Advertisements

Wondering how "green" Casper is... not in the sense of recycling/etc, but in the sense of plants and trees.

I know this may not fairly represent reality, but when I use Google Maps to see the area, everything looks fairly brown. Perhaps it was simply the time of year the arial photos were taken?

For instance - if you drive around town, do you see lots of trees? Lots of grassy areas? Do people typically water their lawns in order to keep them green? Is there grass along the highways and roadways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM

330 posts, read 1,096,057 times
For the most part, yes, Casper is green. There are a ton of city parks that are really kept up nice (some even have port-a-potties for the little ones, and big ones, during your outings!) The "Big Tree District" is down-town residential and is full of old cottonwoods....most neighborhoods (older) have a lot of established trees. The newer neighborhoods don't have any mature trees. Most people are really good about watering their lawns (depends on your neighborhood)....but there's always going to be that one guy who doesn't give a rat's patootey what their place looks like...but that's an exception, not the rule. The "older" houses generally have older couples who take good care of their houses and their yards.

There's 3 or 4 golf courses around (Paradise Valley, 3 Crowns, Country Club, and then one by the college) that obviously are green. But there are areas of town that are brown.

Casper Mountain was extremely green this year (we had an exceptionally wet spring)...but now that it's August and super hot, it's gotten brown (hopefully with the past weekend's rain, it won't catch on fire!).

I have pictures, but I not the most techno-savvy....I need my husband to put them on the computer....because there's a few others out there who are wanting pictures as well. SORRY GUYS! I will get them posted....someday!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
On the trip up here my wife and I were amazed at how green the area was, it seemed the drive from eastern Nebraska on to Casper was filled with green. A very unusual color for this time of year for sure.
And in town our friends and relatives aren't having to fight near as hard to keep a lawn green now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming