Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

I am interested to know what community you are living in? We are sadly considering leaving the failing Michigan economy. I am concerned that like so many transplant locations, there will be resentment when we come there. I have two small children, 9 and 7, plus I am a school professional, so I am interested in a strong school system.

Are there neighboring communities you can live in, commute to Gillette but not have a view of oil fields? I have visited Wyoming in the past...saw a lot of the state and it was beautiful, but I'm not seeing any mountains or even hills in the pictures posted of Gillette.

The good news is, we LOVE the outdoors and WY can't be much colder than MI! I'd appreciate your comments....thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
There are plenty of hills in and around Gillette, but anything resembling mountains are an hour's drive. A few people commute from Buffalo, a town of about 4,000 or so nestled against the Bighorn Mountains 70 miles to the west, a few live in/near Sundance in the northern Black Hills 60 miles to the east (both on I-90), and a few have homes in Pine Haven, a small community on the edge of Keyhole Reservoir about 45 miles northeast of Gillette. Some commute even further distances, but those would be the primary towns for commuters wanting a more scenic community. Personally, I wouldn't want to commute that far, but to each his own.

I think Gillette's school system is excellent, and it's growing rapidly.

Oh, and you don't see much in the way of oil fields if you live in Gillette. Yes, the pumps are out there, but it's not like there are fields of pumps you're looking at in every direction. You'll see grasslands and rolling hills, a few buttes, lots of deer and antelope.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I am a special ed teacher who took a position as a spec ed case manager here in Gillette this year. We have had A LOT of families move here from out of state and I'd venture to guess that Michigan is the state where most have come from. I have not experienced any resentment toward outsiders. All are welcome. Gillette is pretty diverse as far as where people came from. This is the friendliest town I've ever lived in. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! working for this school system. It's the best I'm been in. There is so much support from other staff members, administration, etc. The staff development dept. is wonderful and there are many offers there. We get credits from the Univ. of Wyo. for classes at a very reasonable rate, and then get reimbursed for half of our tuition. The pay and benefits are great compared to many schools. We moved from Montana (I'm originally from Wyo) and my pay almost doubled! If your name here is any indication I assume you're a school psych. I work out of a district coop where we have school psychs. Some schools in the district have their own psychs and some are out of our office. Those I know all seem to be very pleased here. If you'd like any more info just send me a DM. I agree with WyoNewk in that I wouldn't want to live out of town and commute. I'd rather be close to work and amenities then spend my free time doing the commute to the various places there are to go for recreation, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming