Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 PM

269 posts, read 829,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The best place to live is where I live. Course, you may not think so.
amen bro' what makes us happy, comfortable, and at peace with ourselfs will never satisfiy a selfish and self centered person that is only willing to take and never give of the gifts they posess-thanks for sharing yours.

Last edited by wyoman; 02-28-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Floridahater} Sounds like you might want to look at Powell (jr college + conservative + variety of hunting and fishing in every direction, mtns, valleys and lake close by too (relative to other places in WY)). But Sheridan would be nice if you can afford it. I would steer clear of energy towns if you are looking for 'a place to call home'. But tough to go wrong in WY (tho I wouldn't consider the SW or Rawlins, just due to taste/ previous experience)
I have to 100% disagree with steering clear of energy towns if you are looking for a "a place to call home"! We moved to Gillette in August and have never felt more at home. We absolutely love it here. The people are wonderful, the city is doing everything possible to keep crime out, beautify the town, bring economic growth here, etc. The schools are #1 and the town is very child friendly. There is so much to do here for a small town. After being born & raised and living in a few other Wyoming towns then being in Montana for 14 years I've found Gillette to be the best place I've lived. I love all of Wyoming, but this town is the perfect place to settle down and call HOME!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM

276 posts, read 792,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I have to 100% disagree with steering clear of energy towns if you are looking for a "a place to call home"! We moved to Gillette in August and have never felt more at home. We absolutely love it here. The people are wonderful, the city is doing everything possible to keep crime out, beautify the town, bring economic growth here, etc. The schools are #1 and the town is very child friendly. There is so much to do here for a small town. After being born & raised and living in a few other Wyoming towns then being in Montana for 14 years I've found Gillette to be the best place I've lived. I love all of Wyoming, but this town is the perfect place to settle down and call HOME!
I thank you all for your opinions. I placed my online application on the job bank for the State of WY. I have also been looking at different colleges; however, I do wonder if out of state individuals such as myself are at a disadvantage when applying for positions. I also have out of state teaching credentials but not for WY. I very much value your candid opinions!!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Floridahater} Sounds like you might want to look at Powell (jr college + conservative + variety of hunting and fishing in every direction, mtns, valleys and lake close by too (relative to other places in WY)). But Sheridan would be nice if you can afford it. I would steer clear of energy towns if you are looking for 'a place to call home'. But tough to go wrong in WY (tho I wouldn't consider the SW or Rawlins, just due to taste/ previous experience)

I love the Sheridan area, but I doubt if I could afford to live there now. What about Evanston or Riverton or Rock Springs? Thanks for your response. I appreciate it!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Default Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The best place to live is where I live. Course, you may not think so.

Elkhunter:
Where do you live? In what part of the state? I was just curious.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Rock Springs and Evanston fit into my EXCLUSION of SW WYO (personal preference + past history). Riverton is much better IMHO.

My comment on avoiding energy towns is regarding them not being the most delightful place to be during a DOWNTURN (which wouldn't include the recent past, but MAY include the near future). And I only mentioned that because you are moving in during a time when housing is tight, and income / services are fully utilized. If you are in a remote energy town and the jobs dry up, it gets pretty ugly, especially if you are a recent hire as a teacher, and the schools are suddenly empty. (And if you BOUGHT a home, it may be many yrs before you could SELL it, even for a loss) BTDT

Gillette is a bit more diversified than it was in the 80's so it may be able to absorb the next bust. I would look for a place not so dependent on coal, as the new administration is not keen on the stuff. I feel they (WH/admin) are flexing their influence, and if they get too cocky they might sink a torpedo into the coal industry.

Just be diligent and use much foresight, (ask many questions to a lot of old timers) things are changing on the landscape. I would rather be in WY than FL if economy gets really rough. Folks are more likely to care for you, and you will probably be safer from petty crime and physical harm, when the natives get hungry.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I read an interesting article on Wyoming's economic outlook in yesterday's local newspaper. One person had this to say:

"Wyoming is becoming the California that John Steinbeck wrote about in his classic novel, 'The Grapes of Wrath,' where desperate people from all over the country funneled into the state looking for work during the Great Depression," he said.

"But Wyoming is a very small state and there isn’t going to be enough work."

The Gillette News-Record: Today (http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2009/03/01/news/today/news03.txt - broken link)

Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 AM

30 posts, read 78,761 times
I am sure you are right but how many will stay? I have always wanted to live in Wyoming but for family matters was unable but am able to go now just happens not to be at the greatest time right now but things will get better and sooner are later the bankers re going to have to let the money go. I plan on moving there to live for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I read an interesting article on Wyoming's economic outlook in yesterday's local newspaper. One person had this to say:

"Wyoming is becoming the California that John Steinbeck wrote about in his classic novel, 'The Grapes of Wrath,' where desperate people from all over the country funneled into the state looking for work during the Great Depression," he said.

"But Wyoming is a very small state and there isn’t going to be enough work."

The Gillette News-Record: Today (http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/articles/2009/03/01/news/today/news03.txt - broken link)

Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Rock Springs and Evanston fit into my EXCLUSION of SW WYO (personal preference + past history). Riverton is much better IMHO.

My comment on avoiding energy towns is regarding them not being the most delightful place to be during a DOWNTURN (which wouldn't include the recent past, but MAY include the near future). And I only mentioned that because you are moving in during a time when housing is tight, and income / services are fully utilized. If you are in a remote energy town and the jobs dry up, it gets pretty ugly, especially if you are a recent hire as a teacher, and the schools are suddenly empty. (And if you BOUGHT a home, it may be many yrs before you could SELL it, even for a loss) BTDT

Gillette is a bit more diversified than it was in the 80's so it may be able to absorb the next bust. I would look for a place not so dependent on coal, as the new administration is not keen on the stuff. I feel they (WH/admin) are flexing their influence, and if they get too cocky they might sink a torpedo into the coal industry.

Just be diligent and use much foresight, (ask many questions to a lot of old timers) things are changing on the landscape. I would rather be in WY than FL if economy gets really rough. Folks are more likely to care for you, and you will probably be safer from petty crime and physical harm, when the natives get hungry.
Thanks, I definitely think that you "get my drift." I have been through 4 hurricanes and many tropical storms. I've watched people panic. I have never liked FL, but my mom needed my help before she passed away in 2008. I did the best that I could for her. Now, I just want to get out of this swamp. I am checking state jobs, teaching (both high school and colleges). However, I would imagine that most jobs would go to an in state individual first. Maybe a BA and two MA's may help me in landing something. I do know that, God willing, I want to move to WY. I'll just keep praying and looking. I appreciate your comments because I had an aunt who lived in Rawlins years ago during a bust and took quite a hit in her RV/mobile home park.

Finally, I definitely DO NOT want to be in FL if things continue to decline. In fact, I don't really care if I am in the "boonies" as long as I am around like minded people; moreover, I just don't trust these continual (and increasingly severe hurricanes). A friend of mine lost everything in Andrew. He wisely relocated to MT and said that he would rather be cold than hot, sweaty with no water or a place to live (like Katrina). I have been hot and sweaty with no power for weeks with an elderly and infirm mother. I want to get out while the "gettin is good!" I may need to ask you further questions which you alluded to in your last post!!!

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming