Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,930 times

Advertisements

Our family is aiming to move westward from Nebraska & thinking either CO or WY. My wife recommended WY as she remembers some really pleasant times we had there. We have a 3 year old daughter, so quality of schools would be a factor. Not to offend anyone, but we would prefer someplace that isn't predominately catholic and has a healthy cultural and political mixture in WY. Milder temperatures for summer would be favored, but cold winters are fine with us. We were thinking Cheyenne, and would appreciate any feedback regarding that city & any other cities in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,161,873 times
by "mass transit" do you mean taxi's, trams, or city buses ?? you can try looking on this site WYTRANS The Wyoming Public Transit Association - Location of WYTRANS Agencies

I'm not aware that any city has a "mass transit" system, except for maybe senior citizens.. but I could be wrong. After perusing that site there were a few buses between cities.

Laramie might be politically mixed but no clue about the Catholic (just Catholic or Christian in general?) influence there.

Your best bet would be to travel around to different spots in Wyoming and check it out for yourself. Good luck..

Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM

11,548 posts, read 52,913,295 times
When I look at the headline for your thread and your other requirements, Cheyenne doesn't come to mind.

It's not convenient unless you've got your own transportation, it's not pedestrian friendly, and there isn't a lot of good food here (unless you're into Applebee's, Red Lobster, Outback Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, and the usual cast of pizza and burger fast food franchises).

Schools are good. There's a significant catholic population here, too.

And, not to offend anybody here in Wyoming ... but I think you'd do well to look at some of the suburban incorporated towns in Colorado, such as Littleton. Good schools, good public transportation, lots of excellent restaurants, good walking access to much of the town and the amenities it offers for shopping and recreation. Even great bicycle paths ... I've bicycled from Littleton to Denver via paved bike paths or very light traffic density streets and commuted as fast as I could drive that some days. Of course, they've got the light rail, too. Your other requirements would be met. The trade off is you're going to a higher population density living environment which is capable of supporting the items you've mentioned as priorities. I can think of a number of similar towns along the Front Range of Colorado that would also meet your requirements ... Fort Collins, Longmont, and Boulder all come to mind.

My hesistancy to recommend a Wyoming town is that I'm not hearing from your post the traits that are essential to living here ... independency and acceptance of lack of big population center based amenities, or a great love of the wide open spaces and outdoor recreational activities. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your priorities, so your further explanation might help to respond better.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,339,300 times
uhm....yeah...I was left shaking my head when I read the headline myself...

Geez...Goodbye 'Wyld and Whooley Wyoming'....here come'th the Metro-Suburbia-Clones...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,930 times
Default Thanks, sunsprit.

You were astute and accurate in comprehending the read (Ltbear???) and very thorough in your explanation as well. Thank you
Colorado would facilitate our need for nature as well. Currently, we are in Lincoln & well...there's no nature to speak of BUT the storms are beautiful but threatening. We prefer bike and bus, tram (examples of mass transit, Froggie), to car and I personally sense that CO would be very nice for a family as green as ours.
Froggie Legs, we're Christians, but more Waldensian in nature (older, stricter adherence versus amended new age type Christian).
It's funny, my wife was talking about Littleton just yesterday. Our main concern is being able to live amongst simple, nature folk, not the lofty, rich type.
From what I've read throughout these threads regarding places like Boulder, they can be a bit stuffy and standoffish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: