Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if somone with a more pro-environment more progressive liberal view would be welcome in Wyoming ??? whether visiting or relocating?

I generally accept all people and am open to different viewpoints, I am just hoping that others in Wyoming and other places I visit would feel the same way.

Just because we might not see eye to eye on all the issues doesn't mean we can't have a friendly discussion on them right? and it doesn't mean a right wing conservative republican can't be friends with a progressive liberal democrat. Am I right or wrong on this issue in Wyoming?

Last edited by DreamworksSKG; 07-25-2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:29 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Default Am a bit nervous about visiting Wyoming

I've always wanted to visit This area, maybe starting in Denver and working my way west, and north
but am worried about how I would be received out there
as a moderate progressive liberal
from Boston/Massachusetts

Old 07-25-2009, 09:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I really don't see where you'd have much of a problem. We don't judge based on how you checked the ballot last election.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Thumbs down Here we go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
I am wondering if somone with a more pro-environment more progressive liberal view would be welcome in Wyoming ??? whether visiting or relocating?

I generally accept all people and am open to different viewpoints, I am just hoping that others in Wyoming and other places I visit would feel the same way.

Just because we might not see eye to eye on all the issues doesn't mean we can't have a friendly discussion on them right? and it doesn't mean a right wing conservative republican can't be friends with a progressive liberal democrat. Am I right or wrong on this issue in Wyoming?
We already did this. Did you think us "right wing evangelical conservative Republicans" can't remember something from three months back?

Democratic enclave in Wyoming? - is it possible?

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-25-2009 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Well a lot of the bad land were God's work, Reclamation of the coal mines land are better then what was there to start. Oil and gas pads take up such a little space and are not there for ever like a sub-division. Then cows and ewes are tools for grass managment.
But if you still want to come a large 5 or 6 figure donation to a Land trust would be welcome

Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I'd still say you'd be welcomed by most, but maybe not by quite as many as a year ago. Quite a few people have lost their jobs lately, thanks to others "with a more pro-environment more progressive liberal view."

If you approach someone who looks hungry and out of work, it might be best not to mention that we've got to do more to save the sage grouse.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I think a lot of the problem(s) here start with someone from out of the area, typically from a high population density riparian climate, come into Wyoming with all kinds of high-minded "ideals" of what constitutes "pro-environment" solutions that aren't applicable to a high alititude desert.

In my observation, a conflict starts when an outsider starts telling a successful farm or ranch operation how to do things differently ... and when they cannot persuade an owner to change their methods that have provided a living here for a family for generations, they start ordering others around because they "know better" what's good for the folks who have been here awhile.

The real facts of the matter are that the true stewards of the lands have been the farmers and ranchers who could eke out a living and survive here for a long time. Contrary to the views of our "betters" from out of the area, few "rape and pillage the land" to their own self destruction of the resources. Given better ways to conserve water, for example, by going to low pressure pivots from flood irrigation or high pressure pivots, farmers have embraced a lot of good technology at great expense along the way. That's along with improved varieties of crops, better farming techniques with less tillage of the fragile topsoil, etc. Ranchers have consistently sought out improved breeds of livestock that are more capable of dealing with the climate and forage conditions here, too, for increased yield and productivity.

And the extractive industries have been seeking improved ways to increase their yield while lowering their costs of production and costs to restore the environmental impacts of their work.

So, here's my take on a "pro-environmental" advocate ... c'mon out and see what's actually going on here, and how it is different from the polluted and destroyed areas from where you came. The causes, effects, and solutions here are different than "back East", or in California. One size solutions do not fit all.

The same philosophy extends to local social and political issues. We're a lot different group of people than found on the streets of the big mega-population centers of the country. What may "work" or ... in your frame of reference ... be "desirable" where you came from may be the anti-thesis of what will or can work or be of benefit here, if it's even needed. But you need to come here and study what's going on before mindlessly repeating the mantra of whatever cause you have from where you came first.

There's reasons why this portion of the country is so sparsely populated, and why we don't have huge population centers here. This is a basic issue about the type of resiliency and behavior of the people here. And it's why we typically don't appreciate the "solutions" that some think are indicated in a whole different part of the country ....

While not in Wyoming, a perfect regional example of "pro-environmentalist" attitudes screwing up local resources (and the economy and people's lives) can be found in Colorado and the "tree huggers" there. We've seen problems like a "blow-down" or "beetle kill" over a large acreage of perfectly salvageable trees for commercial purposes. But the "tree huggers" prevented harvesting of the timber in accordance with their views of how the forest should be managed, "clear cutting" BAD BAD BAD. Now we've got acres and acres of "firewood" that's decaying and bug infested ... and just waiting for a good lightning strike. Had the wood been cleared, healthy forest re-growth could have been promoted; now we're facing watershed problems, too. Well intentioned but misguided folks don't understand the difference between low altitude riparian hardwood growth and high altitude evergreen softwoods .... but they're not going to let that ignorance get in the way of their "cause" to "save the trees!". And don't worry about the livlihoods that they destroy along the way, the "cause" and their good "intentions" are all that count to them.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-26-2009 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
[SIZE=3]Back when there was still logging in the state, in one small farming, ranching, logging community there was a dentist. This dentist had a good practice and was well received in the community. Then one day his letters to the paper and his membership in and anti logging group that went to court and shut down a logging sale caused his client base to slowly go down to nothing. He had to leave the community broke and move to where he had to start all over...[/SIZE]

Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM

382 posts, read 937,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post

If you have to ask such a question then maybe you are not as accepting as you think you are.

Wyoming should not be judged on how the majority votes. I am a Canadian living in Wyoming. I would say that my political leanings are very different that most of my neighbors and coworkers. I am often the only democratic voice in a republican work place. I actually enjoy pushing their buttons( as they do mine).

This is not any more an issue here then it would be where you live.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 AM

139 posts, read 470,647 times
I am an atheist with fairly libertarian views and i've never had a seconds trouble with anyone whose viewpoints differ from my own. Most folks i've met since I moved here are nothing but nice. My neighbors have both a cross and an American flag adorning their home and are some of the nicest neighbors i've ever had. They came to my house introduced themselves, and offered me a walking tour of the neighborhood. They had no other opinion of me (and vice/versa) after each others given life story. Problem is most people have lost (or never had) the ability to love their fellow man/woman regardless of background and/or viewpoint. Luckily that sort of mentality hasn't really found it's way out here yet (in large numbers)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming