Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
Okay let's explain Sinclair a little further. It's a refinery with houses built next to it. I'm no doctor but I'm guessing that's not the healthiest air to be breathing, not to mention the "stuff" that ends up on everything around them. I could never understand what people that live near the refinery in Cheyenne were thinking. Just my opinion.
You have no worries. Sinclair is a refinery. But the wind blows every thing away. You have nothing to worry about. Winds in the 30-40 mph range every day makes it so you are lucky. You are fine. Live in Sinclair and die later.

Sorry, that's not a fair statement. Live in Sinclair, enjoy the terrible wind, the terrible snow, and then die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 26,527 times
Default Rawlins :(

Although i've never lived there, I don't think Rawlins would be a nice place to live. It's very arid and windy and looks very run-down.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Jgussler,

The wind blows in Cheyenne too, when it blows the "wrong way" you get to smell the refinery all over town. You can't seriously think the wind takes all of the bad stuff away. I've talked to people who worked at a school near the one in Cheyenne and they talked about the film that would be on their cars everyday, from the refinery. That's not good for anyone, if it's on objects then it's in the air and they're breathing it in.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
One time I had to drive from Laramie to Rock Springs for a meeting. I stopped near Sinclair to get some gas and as I was filling up a big SUV pulled up from California and asked the station attendent, "is the rest of Wyoming as ugly as it is along I80". The attendent replied with a straight face " it's worse, you should go to Colorado". I was laughing for at least the next 100 desolate miles...lol

Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Thanx MRV I needed that, LOL!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:48 PM

14 posts, read 81,713 times
Rawlins seemed like a nice place when we visited last month. The organization of the town reminded me of the small towns in the South where I grew up (without the snow. of course). It is nice enough that my wife and I are buying a house and moving there the end of July.

It will certainly be change from Louisiana and Florida.

Thanks to everyone for all the messges they took the time to write to this big forum. Even the grumpy ones were useful.

See y'all,
Mitch

Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM

I live in Wyoming. Rawlins would not be a place that I would pic. But I'm lucky and live against the Big Horns. Rawlins is not that bad to partake in. But it's just not where I would go. Now, if the job took me there and I had really no choice. Rawlins would be home. It's not that bad of town if you know what Wyoming can do to you in the winter. hahaha But it's a nice little town. It has enough people to warrant good food chains. Local restaurants, good stuff. But you won't have a local Wally World that has everything that others want. If you want jeans, you can get them. If you want a lawn mower, they're there. But it's not a metropolis. And the wind blows. Barby? Hell yes you can do that. But most days, the wind is going to blow.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times
If you are from another state - and you are used to crime, violence, dirt, overcrowded and underhoused conditions - Rawlins might be for you.
More seriously, come to Wyoming. That whole stretch along I-80 is not for folks who love the land - it is more for folks who like harsh conditions and isolation.
You will find Wyoming starts about 80 miles or so north of the interstate.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
If you are from another state - and you are used to crime, violence, dirt, overcrowded and underhoused conditions - Rawlins might be for you.
More seriously, come to Wyoming. That whole stretch along I-80 is not for folks who love the land - it is more for folks who like harsh conditions and isolation.
You will find Wyoming starts about 80 miles or so north of the interstate.
You got it. High desert, no sand, but nothing growing worth a crap. Get your butt about 80 miles north and you'll live.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
You got it. High desert, no sand, but nothing growing worth a crap. Get your butt about 80 miles north and you'll live.
Yeah - you're right. You'll live. Might be in a block of ice - but alive.

Now, being as I said something like I did - and you agree with - I should add that there are plenty of folks who would live nowhere else BUT southern Wyoming. Why, I don't know - because I lived in southern for about 15 years and lived around the north in different spots for a few years. I still have a friend in Evanston (SW corner) who is originally from New Hampshire - and he is absolutely in love with the place. Not with the Uinta Mountains 25 miles south in Utah. Not with the Salt River Range 100 miles north - but with Evanston - and the surrounding 100 miles. I suppose (although I don't know of anyone and haven't read of anyone) that there are people who love Rawlins as well - I mean, I've known people who like Rock Springs - but I prefer either the Alpine conditions of western and northern ... or the full-moon sensitive hills of the NE near the Montana line, say, Sheridan for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming