Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,991,831 times

Advertisements

Maybe some folks wont understand this because I drove on a lot of parkways and 2 lane roads, that I feel like I have a legitimate point, but living in the peachtree place apartments, I find myself taking a left out of the main entrance to go down 160 towards Tega Cay. The issue is, the people coming from the other end of 160 all stay in the left lane and dont take the right lane. This means when theres no traffic coming the other way, I still cant pull out because 4 out of 5 cars just automatically move to the left lane when it goes to 2 lanes.

When I was driving a lot in CT NY and NJ, driving on 2 lane parkways was a weekly occurrence. The "rule" was that if someone was trying to merge onto the road (there was NO merge lanes, usually stop signs) then you would move to the LEFT lane to let them in. The same went for if there were left lane merges, you move to the right to let them on the road if you could. Also, as far as I knew, on a road with more then 1 lane, you stay to the right except to pass.

Im not sure why people feel the need to automatically just stay on the left lane when 160 goes to 2 lanes. If your going to take a left into the plaza, I get it, but otherwise, if people moved to the right, folks like myself and people from the shopping plaza, could actually pull out into the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,972,302 times
Welcome to South Carolina Driving 101 ... I am sure this is not your first experience with the 'SC left lane drivers' ... on 4 lane roads and even interstate highways. There is no answer to your question/dilemma. Do you not have a suicide lane there? That would help.

When I am traveling Hwy 160 going to River Gate and I know at the traffic light 160/Gold Hill I want to go straight. One has to move over out of the right lane into the left lane way way before you get to that traffic light or you will be stuck in the turn right on Gold Hill Rd lane and .... NOBODY will let you move over into the left lane.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Welcome to South Carolina Driving 101 ... I am sure this is not your first experience with the 'SC left lane drivers' ... on 4 lane roads and even interstate highways. There is no answer to your question/dilemma. Do you not have a suicide lane there? That would help.

When I am traveling Hwy 160 going to River Gate and I know at the traffic light 160/Gold Hill I want to go straight. One has to move over out of the right lane into the left lane way way before you get to that traffic light or you will be stuck in the turn right on Gold Hill Rd lane and .... NOBODY will let you move over into the left lane.
Nope, no suicide lane exists formally till at the Circle K I believe.

My philosophy on going to the 160/Gold Hill Intersection is this: Its usually backed up because everyone is taking a left at the traffic light. The left hand turn only lane gets backed up, and people need to keep the suicide lane clear, so, they back up the left lane. I chance it and keep going in the right lane, as usually 3 out of the 5 cars will turn left, and I swoop right in. If not, I either see if theres someone who is sleeping in the traffic and if not, I bite the bullet and just turn into the plaza and admit defeat.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 AM

218 posts, read 523,407 times
I see your concerns and honestly I am probably guilty of it myself. I will think about that more when I pass through there. I think the logic, at least for me, is that I am usually heading to Baxter so I eventually need to be in that left lane so I just stay in it. Also if people are getting on I-77 southbound they need to be in that left lane. It just comes down to being lazy I suppose.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Is 160 (Steele Creek Road) from Tega Cay up to Interstate 485 to be widened from 2 to 4 lanes in the near future?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 AM

56 posts, read 173,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is 160 (Steele Creek Road) from Tega Cay up to Interstate 485 to be widened from 2 to 4 lanes in the near future?
I think they're planning on doing something with the stretch of 160 between gold hill and steel creek. Isn't there a vote coming up for that? Hope I didn't miss it .. I hate that stretch of road and would love to see it fixed. Once that happens, there should be two lanes headed to steel creek instead of one, and should help clear out the 160/gold hill intersection.

Also, supposedly they're building a road from Gold Hill (close to the entrance to Tega Cay) to the Wal Mart area. Once that happens, a lot of people will take that instead.. including me.

Just hang in there for another 10 years and your problems will be solved

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,972,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Nope, no suicide lane exists formally till at the Circle K I believe.

My philosophy on going to the 160/Gold Hill Intersection is this: Its usually backed up because everyone is taking a left at the traffic light. The left hand turn only lane gets backed up, and people need to keep the suicide lane clear, so, they back up the left lane. I chance it and keep going in the right lane, as usually 3 out of the 5 cars will turn left, and I swoop right in. If not, I either see if theres someone who is sleeping in the traffic and if not, I bite the bullet and just turn into the plaza and admit defeat.
You are a brave soul ... that is NASCAR Driving 101 if you do that at 160/Gold Hill ... I move over way down about Walmart in the left lane to be sure. If I remain in the right lane I ALWAYS end up turning right on Gold Hill Rd.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
Quote:
Maybe some folks wont understand this because I drove on a lot of parkways and 2 lane roads, that I feel like I have a legitimate point, but living in the peachtree place apartments, I find myself taking a left out of the main entrance to go down 160 towards Tega Cay. The issue is, the people coming from the other end of 160 all stay in the left lane and dont take the right lane. This means when theres no traffic coming the other way, I still cant pull out because 4 out of 5 cars just automatically move to the left lane when it goes to 2 lanes.

When I was driving a lot in CT NY and NJ, driving on 2 lane parkways was a weekly occurrence. The "rule" was that if someone was trying to merge onto the road (there was NO merge lanes, usually stop signs) then you would move to the LEFT lane to let them in. The same went for if there were left lane merges, you move to the right to let them on the road if you could. Also, as far as I knew, on a road with more then 1 lane, you stay to the right except to pass.

Im not sure why people feel the need to automatically just stay on the left lane when 160 goes to 2 lanes. If your going to take a left into the plaza, I get it, but otherwise, if people moved to the right, folks like myself and people from the shopping plaza, could actually pull out into the road.
Okay, tell me if I understand this correctly. The main entrance/exit of Peachtree is at 160 at Bilo? If you want to turn left toward Tega Cay/Gold Hill, why don't you just exit at Munn? Are you saying you can't make a left because all the cars on the other lane (Tega Cay bound) are on the left lane? Is it because they are trying to make a left at the light towards Munn where Fort Mill High is? Am I understanding your situation correctly? Note also that St. Philip Neri and Citibank offices are there as well (on Munn that is) so on Sundays, it would be hard for you to make that crossing during service time. Get out on the Munn exit if there is one and then make a left on 160 at the light. There are 2 turn lanes there.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay, tell me if I understand this correctly. The main entrance/exit of Peachtree is at 160 at Bilo? If you want to turn left toward Tega Cay/Gold Hill, why don't you just exit at Munn? Are you saying you can't make a left because all the cars on the other lane (Tega Cay bound) are on the left lane? Is it because they are trying to make a left at the light towards Munn where Fort Mill High is? Am I understanding your situation correctly? Note also that St. Philip Neri and Citibank offices are there as well (on Munn that is) so on Sundays, it would be hard for you to make that crossing during service time. Get out on the Munn exit if there is one and then make a left on 160 at the light. There are 2 turn lanes there.
If they are going to make a left into the shopping plaza or the road the school is off of, I understand 100%. Countless times, ive taken then left and followed the cars who didnt move over (not because i had road rage, we just happened to be going the same way) and they stayed in the left lane all the way to walmart or further.... some, ending up moving to the right to go right on Gold Hill Road.

I could go out to the light, but that can often take 3 minutes to turn gree, and if theres a lot of traffic already waiting for it, sometimes I need to wait another cycle. If i need to take a left between 4 and 7 weekdays or early AM, Ill take the light.

Thanks for responding civilly

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
Quote:
If they are going to make a left into the shopping plaza or the road the school is off of, I understand 100%. Countless times, ive taken then left and followed the cars who didnt move over (not because i had road rage, we just happened to be going the same way) and they stayed in the left lane all the way to walmart or further.... some, ending up moving to the right to go right on Gold Hill Road.

I could go out to the light, but that can often take 3 minutes to turn gree, and if theres a lot of traffic already waiting for it, sometimes I need to wait another cycle. If i need to take a left between 4 and 7 weekdays or early AM, Ill take the light.

Thanks for responding civilly
I get what you're saying now. I don't understand why they do it either. I tend to stay on the right lane because it's just faster. I don't mind everyone staying on the left if they weren't so slow. But I live along Gold Hill and always turn right so the backup doesn't bother me as much. They should never allow turns into or out of that area crossing lanes, same with the break at Gate or RiteAid. It's dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties