Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:11 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,388 times

Advertisements

I have a question..how are most home foundations built in the subdivisions in your area...on a slab or crawl space? Is there any special reason to build one way or the other?
Hope this isn't too silly of a question~~Thanks everyone !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Our subdivision, Knightsbridge, has a mix. This is because our subdivision is a VERY hilly area, so some houses are naturally predisposed towards having walkout basements. Those few that are on relatively level land (like ours) are slab foundations. I know of a few crawlspace homes in there too. So basically, Knightsbridge has everything!! *lol*

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
I have a question..how are most home foundations built in the subdivisions in your area...on a slab or crawl space? Is there any special reason to build one way or the other?
Hope this isn't too silly of a question~~Thanks everyone !!
I'm in Hunter Park in York and we have slabs!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:30 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,388 times
thanks for your input..I guess what I am trying to figure out is if there an advantage/disadvantage to having a slab vs a crawlspace (in the south)? DH and I come down Weds to officially begin our "house hunt" and I am trying to do my homework...Thanks so much to everyone who has been ever so helpful with my questions!!!
I can't wait to finally see Lake Wylie, Fort Mill, Tega Cay, etc...!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
It is going to depend on who you ask

Seriously, it seems to be a matter of opinion and it seems to depend on where you are from. Around here it seems the general consensus is that slab means "cheap". If you ask someone else from another area though, they might say that they would never own a house with a foundation. I am not an expert on either so I don't claim to know the right answer. I bet if you do a poll for the entire country it will be an even split. If you do a poll in the south, the votes will lean toward foundations being better.

We've done alot of research on it though, and this is the best answer I can give from a neutral point of view. I bet you'll get some pretty strong opinions on here thoughh. It has been discussed before as well so you might also want to try a search.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
I've lived in a house with an unfinished basement and hated it. I've lived in a house with a finished basement and it was okay, but kind of dark despite being a walkout. I now live on a slab and I love it. I'm not too familiar with crawl spaces other than the fact that knowing my spider phobia I would never want to have to crawl into one to check something out.

When we go to build in 5-10 years we'll be putting in a full basement mainly because the lot is sloped. But my preference would be the grade the lot and put in radiant heat slab.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 AM

57 posts, read 238,121 times
I would never own a home without a basement. I live in Tega Cay and have a full walkout basement.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM

425 posts, read 1,570,334 times
Coming from the north I was used to a basement so when we found a house with a full finished basement with two guest rooms and a full bath and a living area we jumped on it. The thought of having a storm coming and nowhere to go to really freaks me out- (I do know that this is an irrational fear so please don't yell at me.)

Comments I heard when we were loooking was that crawl space made it easier for some repairs but not having one I am not sure if this is true.

Good luck in your house hunt.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM

95 posts, read 385,727 times
It costs $500 per horizontal foot to dig under a crawl. I saw a homeowner spend 20K to replace the sewer line that had roots growing into it at pipe connections (several places) in a 20 year old home before he was able to sell. This was actually caught on inspection.

I've seen copper plumbing fail due to age I guess, slab shift, as well as lightning strike (pipe in slab).

I guess I'm one of them ignorant folk that will never own a slab built house. I would rather check the crawl every now and then rather than not know what is eating through or growing under the slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties