Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM

17 posts, read 45,805 times

Advertisements

I was hoping somebody could clarify for me. I am looking online at houses in Baxter Village and some houses are zoned for Orchard Park Elementary and some are listed as being zoned for Riverview Elementary - essentially these houses seem to be across the street from each other. When I looked at the zoning map for Ft Mill Schools it looks like all of Baxter is zoned for Orchard Park. Is there confusion with the real estate companies when listing the houses or is the zoning map not right? Any clarification would be appreciation. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM

261 posts, read 480,549 times
Enrollment is currently frozen at Orchard Park. Any new students will attend Riverview. This is why you can have two houses right next to each other and have students attending different schools.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM

I thought (apparently mistakenly) that since a new school had been built, kids would go to their appropriate boundaried schools. Is there any signs of this being lifted in the future? We live in an area where my child goes to the oddball school (meaning different from our neighbors) in the neighborhood and I do not want to do that again as I feel that it has impacted her socially. There is just something really nice about going to the same school as the kids next door. Any additional insight would be appreciated as if that is the case (and all kids who move to Baxter get zoned to a different school) I will be sure to cross Baxter off my list. Thank you for any info.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM

I honestly don't have any insight other that than enrollment has been frozen and apparently the enrollment situation will be looked at every summer to see if students can be admitted if there is available space.

My personal opinion is that it will not be lifted anytime soon since Baxter seems to be so popular. If they build a new school in that area then the situation may be alleviated but who knows if or when that might be. The press release states that all students moving into the Orchard Park area will go to Riverview.

Orchard Park, Gold Hill and Pleasant Knoll are currently frozen so you may not want to look in those areas either.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
There is a new school slated for TC soon that will help Gold Hill and the area.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM

396 posts, read 977,232 times
All of the Fort Mill schools are pretty awesome and I understand about wanting your children to go to the same school as neighbors' kids, but keep in mind that just because neighbors' kids are going to the same school, doesn't mean they'll be in the same classes or share the same social circles. There are two children right on our street who went to the same school as my girl and in 6 years have NEVER been in the same classes even though they are the same age. The subdivisions here are huge and all of the kids my girl is closest to friendship-wise live in other neighborhoods or many streets over. That being said, there's something to be said for having friends elsewhere, too. My girl has friends all over now and we are constantly bumping into people she knows when we go out to eat, go shopping, etc... and I've made some friends, too. I really wouldn't let the school choice influence where I bought a home. It would be different, however, if a school was not good. But here in Fort Mill we are very fortunate all of the schools are pretty top-notch. It's a shame, though, that enrollment gets frozen. The Gold Hill schools have had frozen enrollment ever since we moved here in 2001!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 PM

We are currently in a situation where my child cannot go to the neighborhood school which is why I am concerned in the first place. While your right that the kids aren't necessarily in the same class, they do ride the bus together, play together at recess, and share school events. There is significant impact for being odd man out and I would prefer to not do that again since we're currently experiencing it. Of course, I would never suggest that she only be friends with kids in the neighborhood. But my attraction to Baxter Village was living in a community where she could go to the neighborhood school and have that community aspect we're missing right now. While I understand the purpose of the freeze, it does change a significant component of my attraction to that community and I would prefer to find a place where she could go to school with her neighbors.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
Unfortunately, that is the situation on this side of Fort Mill... With OPES, Gold Hill frozen, all children that move here will go to another school until room is opened up. Our neighbors child went to Riverview for 1 year, until they got in to OPES, they loved the school. Like the previous poster said, it's really not a big deal, Riverview is right down the road, and many other family's are in the same situation.
Just a though, you might want to look into Springfield.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 AM

Not sure what price range you are looking at but the neighborhoods down Doby's Bridge Road all go to Fort Mill Elementary, which is not frozen. And probably around 2013 a new school will be opening up either in or near the Massey subdivision.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM

269 posts, read 1,057,353 times
The freeze may be lifted in July. It is based purely on enrollment and class size. When I first moved to the area, my daughter went to Riverview for the first year...we were apprehensive, but loved the school and would have been fine if she had stayed there. When the freeze was lifted and she transferred to OPES the following year, many of her friends transferred with her, so we found the transition very smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties