Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I am purchasing a new home in the Indian Land section of Fort Mill, Lancaster County...My home will be completed (new construction) Oct 29th. I was told that the new lower property tax's (by the tax assessors office) were enforced the fall of this year (2007)...But that I will not see that decrease till the fall of 2008, due to the tax bills already having been sent out for the year...

My question?? Does anyone know how and if I will be seeing the extra 1,700 dollars that I will be over paying into my property tax's?? We have our mortgage set up so that money will be taken out monthly to be put towards our tax's (escrowed) ...But from my understanding...this will be at the old higher rate, due to dh and I having to wait till the fall to apply for the new legal lower tax rate.

I hope I have not confused you all....

TIA
If you build a home, in York county for this year you are only paying taxes on the value of your land not your home. Next year you pay on your home an thus the lower rate. If you call the assesors office and give them the parcel # they can tell you what taxes are due this year.
At least this is how it worked for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 PM

41 posts, read 178,322 times
Default tax

what was the the price of your house that you are getting 1700 less tax

Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 AM

57 posts, read 238,253 times
When do the tax bills get mailed out ?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 AM

163 posts, read 586,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat 1949 View Post
what was the the price of your house that you are getting 1700 less tax
266,275 thousand.... the assessor stated that the tax's would be based on the value of the home....This is the cost we agreed upon 4 months ago (new, almost done being built)

edited to say: I do not know if they are considering the sales tax rebate in that amount for next year or not....I am pretty sure that is a one time thing...

edited to say: My loan officer stated my tax's now are at 2,897? per year (based on the info he has...which could change slightly) The tax assessor said that my new amount would be 1,142 with the property tax cut...so, about 1,700 less per year..

Last edited by misfit; 10-02-2007 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjf View Post
When do the tax bills get mailed out ?
The next time will be the fall of 2008

Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
If you build a home, in York county for this year you are only paying taxes on the value of your land not your home. Next year you pay on your home an thus the lower rate. If you call the assesors office and give them the parcel # they can tell you what taxes are due this year.
At least this is how it worked for us.
So, if I am understanding you correctly....whoever handled your loan used the parcel # to find out the tax's..which, I assume, came up at the lower rate?? Then your bank escrowed the money based on the lower amount until you applied for (or will) the new lower property tax in the fall?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
So, if I am understanding you correctly....whoever handled your loan used the parcel # to find out the tax's..which, I assume, came up at the lower rate?? Then your bank escrowed the money based on the lower amount until you applied for (or will) the new lower property tax in the fall?

2007 taxes are only on the land (due now..paid at closing) , current rates, not with increase) home had to be completed by end of 2006 to be taxed on in 2007.
2008 taxes (due next year..inlcuded in payment escrowed for next year) on on land and home. B of A estimated on new rates and on the 4% you have to apply for)
You can get your parcel # and call the assesors office yourself to find out what you are going to need to pay for this year. They were very helpful when I called. Let me know if I can help you anymore. I work for a real estate appraisal firm so I deal with assesors offices all day long.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM

70 posts, read 218,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
2007 taxes are only on the land (due now..paid at closing) , current rates, not with increase) home had to be completed by end of 2006 to be taxed on in 2007.
2008 taxes (due next year..inlcuded in payment escrowed for next year) on on land and home. B of A estimated on new rates and on the 4% you have to apply for)
You can get your parcel # and call the assesors office yourself to find out what you are going to need to pay for this year. They were very helpful when I called. Let me know if I can help you anymore. I work for a real estate appraisal firm so I deal with assesors offices all day long.
Totally agree - when we signed our purchase papers this is exactly what we were told. Our home won't be ready until 2008 and we will be paying on land only for the 2008 tax year regardless of when the strucutre is actually completed.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:34 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
If you do in fact end up overpaying in taxes one of two things will happen:

1. If the mortgage company has already paid the taxes then the tax office will issue you a refund.
2. If the mortgage company has not paid it they will either issue you a refund or adjust the escrow for the next year. Actually I think they give you the choice.

It sounds like it is unclear whether or not you will be owed a refund though. It sounds like you may but I wouldn't go by the word of the lady you called. Just from personal experience they can be very wrong.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 PM

17 posts, read 56,811 times
Default Vehicle Tax

Anyone know what the fees are for midsize cars in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties