Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kee2u View Post
Anyone know what the fees are for midsize cars in SC.
It varies greatly. The tax assesor's office is very helpful if you call them, but you need to know if you will be inside town limits as that affects the rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 PM

251 posts, read 1,127,760 times
This is a little off topic, but this Indian Land/Fort Mill thing is getting a little out of hand. With all due respect to the parties who are promoting Indian Land as a city, a few facts. 1)Indian Land has never existed as a recognized town, city, township, post office, or even recognized community. It is not on any SC or other map I have ever seen. Three communities do show up on many maps--they are Pleasant Valley, Hancock, and Belair---in what is now called Indian Land. 2)It is highly, extremely unlikely that the US Postal Service will ever establish an independent post office in the "Indian Land" area. They may open a substation, but it will be a division of the Fort Mill office. Ask residents of the Union County towns of Weddington, Marvin, or Wesley Chapel (all incorporated) if they have a post office or any expectations of having one. Try mailing a package via UPS or Fed Ex to Indian Land (even with the correct zip code) and see what happens--it will be returned to you. 3)There is nothing the slightest bit unusual about a town and its surrounding area covering parts of more than one county. Here in South Carolina, the city of Columbia has annexed parts of Lexington Co., even though it is mostly located in Richland Co. There are many residents of Lexington Co. who have Columbia addresses. In SC, school districts routinely cross county lines, though that is not the case in the Fort Mill/Indian Land area. 4)The recognition of Indian Land as a distinct community does not seem to be grounded in historical fact. From what I can tell, the school, which I think was founded in the 40s, and consolidated several smaller schools, was the first official use of the name Indian Land. 5)The incorporation of the area as Indian Land would seem to be the best way to establish the area as an official community. Unfortunately, the laws of SC make it VERY difficult to incorporate new towns, not to mention the fact that many/most local residents will not support such a move since it will mean new taxes. In themeantime, I will reserve the right to say I live in Fort Mill, even though I also live in Lancaster County.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Everything made sense until the last sentence.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:44 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,195 times
So are you guys saying that this year I only have to pay tax on my lot, even though the house was finished and we got a CO in September? That would be wonderful.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,446 times
I don't know where you got the numbers from but I just got my tax bill. My house is appraised at $266,000 and my total taxes are $1325.74. I can't remember what my taxes were last year but I don't think they were over $1800.

Yes, you will only pay taxes on your lot this year.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM

163 posts, read 586,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I don't know where you got the numbers from but I just got my tax bill. My house is appraised at $266,000 and my total taxes are $1325.74. I can't remember what my taxes were last year but I don't think they were over $1800.

Yes, you will only pay taxes on your lot this year.
When your tax's were 1,800? When was the last time your home had been assessed?? Maybe this is the difference....

I am just going by what the mortgage company has on record for the new home prior to the tax decrease..

That said!! I am so happy about them going down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties