Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM

10 posts, read 32,251 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are seriously looking at the Reserve and have really fallen in love w/ the neighborhood. Was hoping anyone who lives here could offer up some advice / thoughts on if they feel they made the right decision moving into this development?

Also, one of our initial requirements in our house search was around the yard size and wanting our kids (when we have them) to have the space like we did back in Buffalo growing up. Understand that the lots here are not huge, but some are very flat and reasonablly laid out. One home we like is like this, but isn't fenced in. I'm assuming everyone in the neighborhood has to install the same style fences, any idea how much that costs for a standard lot size?

Would appreciate any advice you could offer up. My wife works uptown and I work off of Tyvola so think the commute would be reasonable. How's Gold Hill in the morning? Seems like they've built a ton of elementary schools - good experiences w/ that?

Thx!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
1) Yes we made the right decision. Best community I have lived in. The neighborhood is really a community. They have events all the time. Plenty of groups you can join. Neighborhood is kept up i.e. medians/planters, pool maintained, etc.
2) Yes, HOA only allows rod iron fencing with certain spacing requirements between rods. Pricing is up to what you find. We had no need for a fence so I have not installed one.
3) Gold Hill near the Reserve is pretty easy to get out of. If you go north, you might even use the back entrance to get out on Carowinds Blvd (i.e. options). Average rush hour commute... takes me 30-40 minutes to go to uptown.
4) The schools have good reputations/scores. Pleasant Knoll, which we are zoned for, has a freeze on it. There is plans for two new elementary schools; one in Tega Cay, another on Dolby Bridge. Once Tega Cay opens, I am not sure what our zoning will end up.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 PM

10 posts, read 32,251 times
1) great to hear! Def have a tight knit group of neighbors in our current neighborhood, very important to us!
2) thx for info, I'm sure we could price it out w a high level estimate then... We have a very energetic lab who needs his playtime so the fence is a must for us
3) cool that there's alternate reasonable routes...carowinds could get me to tryon which flies right up to tyvola in case of some heavy traffic/accidents
4) when you say freeze what does that mean? If we moved and had an of age kid ready for elementary, what would be our option w a freeze? Ya i saw them clearing land outside of lakeshore for a new school, only hear great things about the system

Thx so much for your comments we really appreciate it!!!!

Matt & Corrie

Old 08-11-2012, 12:46 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
If the school is frozen then your child will go to an unfrozen school until space is available at the school you are zoned for. Typically you will go to Riverview or Fort Mill.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheridan12 View Post
Hello, my wife and I are seriously looking at the Reserve and have really fallen in love w/ the neighborhood. Was hoping anyone who lives here could offer up some advice / thoughts on if they feel they made the right decision moving into this development?

Also, one of our initial requirements in our house search was around the yard size and wanting our kids (when we have them) to have the space like we did back in Buffalo growing up. Understand that the lots here are not huge, but some are very flat and reasonablly laid out. One home we like is like this, but isn't fenced in. I'm assuming everyone in the neighborhood has to install the same style fences, any idea how much that costs for a standard lot size?

Would appreciate any advice you could offer up. My wife works uptown and I work off of Tyvola so think the commute would be reasonable. How's Gold Hill in the morning? Seems like they've built a ton of elementary schools - good experiences w/ that?

Thx!!!
Iron fences run around $4,000 to a high of $7,000 from what I heard from some neighbors.

I would not recommend going through back roads as the traffic would be worse. Best to just leave early. Gold Hill tends to back up starting at 7:00 so if you leave slightly earlier than that, you'd make it to Uptown by 8:00 or so. Traffic is heavier during school days, and with the building of a new apartment complex on Pleasant and the new Publix at the corner of Pleasant and Gold Hill, plan on having even more traffic around that area.

Traffic backs up normally northbound at Exit 3 (Arrowood) on I-77 where I-485 feeds into I-77. It usually is backed up until Exit 5 on Tyvola and clears up after that UNLESS there is an accident. Most accidents happen on the fast lane between Exit 3 all the way to Exit 9. I avoid the fast lane as traffic is stop and go and people tend to not pay attention. I-277 at Exit 9 is normally clogged as US-74 merges there, and it is directly east so watch for the sun on your face. If your wife works more north of Uptown (like Center City), best to take Exit 10 on Trade and come back south than sitting on that Exit 9 traffic.

Schools are all good...not a problem with any of them. Hope this helps. Message me if you want more info..on commute or on The Reserve.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
If the school is frozen then your child will go to an unfrozen school until space is available at the school you are zoned for. Typically you will go to Riverview or Fort Mill.
Hope this helps.
Springfield Elementary is the alternative at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties