Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 21,384 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I are prepping for a move from NY to SC within the next year. I have a friend who lives in Fort Mill and we are coming down in May and again in July to scope out areas. I am hoping for some advice on where exactly we should look.

My husband already has a job, but I will be looking for employment in Charlotte. Where are the best places in Lancaster/York County for a commute into Charlotte? My current commute is about 1hr15min, so anything will be a step up from that and 30 min or under would be a dream come true for me!

We are also looking to settle down & start a family so we're looking for safe, family neighborhoods with good school districts. Our final concern is land/property. I have noticed a lot of the houses we've looked at online (trulia, zillow, etc.) are new developments with house on top of house, on top of house. We have had enough of that here in NY and are looking for space, land and PRIVACY! We will rent for a while to acclimate ourselves with the area, but we're thinking our budget for a home will be around $350k.

Am I crazy to think we find everything we want in SC?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouth18 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I are prepping for a move from NY to SC within the next year. I have a friend who lives in Fort Mill and we are coming down in May and again in July to scope out areas. I am hoping for some advice on where exactly we should look.

My husband already has a job, but I will be looking for employment in Charlotte. Where are the best places in Lancaster/York County for a commute into Charlotte? My current commute is about 1hr15min, so anything will be a step up from that and 30 min or under would be a dream come true for me!

We are also looking to settle down & start a family so we're looking for safe, family neighborhoods with good school districts. Our final concern is land/property. I have noticed a lot of the houses we've looked at online (trulia, zillow, etc.) are new developments with house on top of house, on top of house. We have had enough of that here in NY and are looking for space, land and PRIVACY! We will rent for a while to acclimate ourselves with the area, but we're thinking our budget for a home will be around $350k.

Am I crazy to think we find everything we want in SC?!
No, you aren't crazy.

Charlotte is a city, large in land area, so *where* you work *in* Charlotte has a lot to do with where you should look.

Also don't discount areas in NC suburbs, like Mint Hill, Waxhaw, Harrisburg, etc.

Where in NY are you from?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Totally understand what you're saying about it being a large city. Hopefully a job will pop up in a convenient location, but at the end of the day choosing a neighborhood to live is more important to me than a short commute. I'm doing a long one now and I can do it again if necessary!

Thanks for the tip about NC suburbs. I think we were set on SC due to having some friends in that area and reading about the lower taxes in SC vs. NC. That said, we are keeping an open mind and I will make sure to do more research on some of the suburbs in NC.

Oh and we're in Westchester County right now, about 25 miles north of NYC. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. And can't wait to get out!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Union County NC, and Cabarrus County NC, have lower taxes than Mecklenburg County NC. And Cabarrus County NC, is largely rural, and deliberately purposes to stay that way.

York County SC is largely rural too, but towns close to Charlotte (e.g. Fort Mill and Lake Wylie), are being developed too rapidly for my liking. What is rural today, might be suburban tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM

285 posts, read 1,020,500 times
Taxes are way lower in SC vs NC. Fort Mill schools (SC) are highly rated. To find land probably Waxhaw, NC and around Lake Wylie in SC - such as Clover, Lake Wylie, etc.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,982 times
I am in the process of moving from Waxhaw, NC to Indian Land, SC and yes, the taxes are much less in SC. This is one if the reasons why my husband wanted to move. Don't get me wrong Waxhaw is a very nice town and it will be sad to leave. I am sure you and your husband will do the right choice.

Btw, we came from NJ two years ago and know how you feel. At least you have friends here we basically opened up the map and headed here with no job, just us a family of 5.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,932 times
Check the Charlotte North Carolina forum for a lot more discussion of this from the perspective of the north side of the line.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
You should like living outside of meckenburg county. In charlotte we dont allow goats and cows and hogs or mobile homes or burning our trash....Too many restrictions

Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM

194 posts, read 431,219 times
I live in Indian Land and absolutely love my neighborhood...but the houses are close together in mine but I don't mind because I love all my neighbors Good luck! We looked at Ballantyne ,Waxhaw and Indian Land and decided to buy in SC becasue of the lower taxes I could get a bigger house and still stay in budget!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far! After a few more discussions and many hours of research we've decided to bump up our timeline a little bit and are hoping to make the move within the next 6 months. We've still got our eye on Fort Mill, but in the meantime we'll be renting nearby.

We've been looking into some of the apartment complexes in the area. Just curious if anyone knows anything about them? Sterling Steele Creek across the border in NC looks WONDERFUL! But Millcrest and The Commons also look very nice. Budget would be around $900 for a 2 bedroom, but we can be flexible for the perfect location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties