Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:42 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,991,580 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe the situation im in, but I cannot get a painter in the Fort Mill area to call me or show up. Its absurd that reputable companies dont want any business. I have a front door that needs to be sanded and painted. Shouldnt be that hard for a professional painter to do. I screwed up the paint on the front, back in still primed from the factory. The first company I went with said they "didnt feel comfortable" doing the job.

So I Googled painters in the area:

Fort Mill Painting Co/Metrolina Painting: Talk to the guy, wants me to tell him a price I want to pay. Then says he can do the job for $250 cash. Never follows up.

Sal's Quality Painting: Loved their website and talked to the owner directly. He promised to come out last Monday, never showed. Said he got back late and would come Thursday, never showed.

Cannon's Painting Services: Talked to the owner directly, says she has 30 years experience. Gave me a fair estimate over the phone. Says she will have one of her guys call me Sat morning, never happened.

What is the deal with these companies? Does ANYONE have a company they used thats reputable and will actually CALL ME BACK or SHOW UP at my house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 12:11 PM

42 posts, read 97,034 times
I haven't tried to hire a painter but I've had this experience with 2 handy men, 2 power washer/siding companies and two cabinet companies. It seems to be a trend around here. If you don't have a job worth thousands then they can't be bothered.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM

5,241 posts, read 6,152,814 times
Saw this skimming the forums and decided to chime in...........several years ago I had a small painting business (part time) and had a few close friends working for me............you don't know how much business I picked up just by answering the phone and making an appointment to give an estimate (which I always kept).

Always told them we were small and it might be a week or two..........they were thrilled as I was told I was usually one of several they called but only one to show up. We started getting a little to big by word of mouth and the Sherwin Williams rep passed our name on as he knew we would not embarrass him.

It is a tough racket for those doing this full time....workmans comp, insurance, payroll, quarterly IRS payments. These guys need to go where they can get a check to pay their guys on Friday. No excuse though, your best luck is to find a retired guy doing handyman stuff and stay away from the companies that need to pay for overhead. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,874,271 times
Wow, I thought I was the only one who had these problems! We have had problems getting people to call us back for almost everything we have tried to do. Took 6 months and 2 different companies to get a class panel installed in our garage door. Tried for 3 weeks to get a guy call me back for a car detailing appointment that I bought on Living Social. And the list goes on.

Painting........we used a company called B&P Creative Concepts to paint the inside of our house. Unfortunately I can't find their information. There is a listing on Angie's for a company by that name, but I can't get in to see if they are the same people.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:41 AM

850 posts, read 2,651,869 times
Speaking from experience, when the job is that small, you will be hard pressed to find a "painter" to do it. I purchased a new front door a few years ago and had the same issue when I was calling painters to stain it. No one ever came out.... I did however find a great handyman that was able to complete my request. Painters, contractors, builders, siding guys etc.... are typically all the same, if the the job is not multi thousands of dollars, then it's not worth their time.
Look for a handyman.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 AM

The last handyman I was recommended (highly recommended from an employee at Lowes) took nearly 2 weeks to show up, then tells me he cant do the job because he isnt licensed. He says he can do the smaller job I needed and would call me next week. That never happened. 2 months later, he leaves me a voicemail saying "Sorry I was busy last week". So I am also leery of finding a handyman.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:27 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,869 times
It's really hard to find anyone to do anything, and it seems to be getting worse over the last few years. Hope it works out for you, I would give you names but we are in the same boat...

Old 12-27-2013, 08:14 PM

33 posts, read 53,412 times
We still have near 10% unemployment around here right?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM

I have someone coming Monday, so they say. If they come and do a good job, ill let you know!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM

43 posts, read 81,584 times
If not, call this guy. Randy Watts. Painter with lots of experience, really needs work so he will do that probably. Color Tec painting 704-281-1546. I needed a lot of interior painting done, he was $2,000 cheaper than the rest. I have not had the work done yet, but called references and they all checked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties