Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:51 AM

117 posts, read 313,878 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is Jesse and I'll soon be moving to fort mill. I'm a teenager and i used to live in Florida. I don't really know how things are in SC. But from what I heard it seems it's kinda boring (and full of "country" people, no offense intended).

What do the Teens in Fort Mill do?

(I'm really into music and vintage things, you know, the whole subculture, alternative thing and I'm not sure Fort Mill is my kind of scene. I've read in this forum that most teens go to the beach in Lancaster, but I don't really like the sun, and is the whole Abercrombie thing true?)

Thank you for your help and comments,

J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
I raised my kids here and there is not much to do for kids, particularly teens unless you go to Pineville or Charlotte -

My kids went to a lot of things in Charlotte in small funky venues. [Pineville interests are mainly the standard commercial type entertainment]

The "country" "hick" thing - nah - this area has exploded there are many more transplants than locals and most of the locals are not really too "country".

WHAT beach in Lancaster? Lancaster is a lot more country than Fort Mill and the only water I can think of is a big lake [part of the Catawba river chain]

A lot of them go to Myrtle beach about three hours away.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 AM

39 posts, read 143,347 times
Well J., I hate to be the downer, but there is no beach in Lancaster (not a problem for you as you don't like sun) and the Abercrombie this is true. LOTS OF IT!! To be honest there isn't a lot of teen oriented things unless you might be into sports and such. You say you are into music, but you don't mention what kind. Perhaps we can help more if you give us more ideas of what you are into.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM

285 posts, read 1,020,300 times
I have a 15 year old nephew here in Fort Mill. He is in a garage band and there seem to be a lot of garage bands around. Also, he and the rest of his neighborhood are big-time into playing Airsoft. They have their "wars" all over the place and have a blast.

Also, there is opportunity for sports. Victory Sports has local intramural sports. My nephew played the competitive Ultra Frisbee (which I know nothing about). VICTORY SPORTS OUTREACH

Anyway, I suggest keeping an open mind to trying new things, meet some new people and be prepared to make your own fun. Charlotte is close by and may give you some opportunities for urban music.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtransplant View Post
Well J., I hate to be the downer, but there is no beach in Lancaster (not a problem for you as you don't like sun) and the Abercrombie this is true. LOTS OF IT!! To be honest there isn't a lot of teen oriented things unless you might be into sports and such. You say you are into music, but you don't mention what kind. Perhaps we can help more if you give us more ideas of what you are into.
Ugh, i hate Abercrombie.

Well, I like alternative things and fashion. Things like going to shows and concerts or shopping in quirky little stores (or thriftstore). I dislike most sports and people who are too mainstream and preps. Music is the most important thing for me and I'm constantly looking for new bands nobody has even heard of or are not really famous in their genre. Is that helpful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
I have a 15 year old nephew here in Fort Mill. He is in a garage band and there seem to be a lot of garage bands around. Also, he and the rest of his neighborhood are big-time into playing Airsoft. They have their "wars" all over the place and have a blast.

Also, there is opportunity for sports. Victory Sports has local intramural sports. My nephew played the competitive Ultra Frisbee (which I know nothing about). VICTORY SPORTS OUTREACH

Anyway, I suggest keeping an open mind to trying new things, meet some new people and be prepared to make your own fun. Charlotte is close by and may give you some opportunities for urban music.
The music part sounds really cool, I'm a guitar player so I'm always looking around for that kind of thing.

BTW, what's Airsoft?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM

I think you will find a lot in Charlotte - NoDa is a funky kind of place - we just saw Gil Scott Heron a short while ago. Definitely way before your time but not mainstream in the least and they have concerts there all the time

NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District

This magazine will give you and idea of some of the stuff in the area

Creative Loafing Charlotte | Home

Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM

Thanks guys. Now I know I won't really fit in.

But that's ok, at least I can channel my depression into creativity and as soon as I'm out a high school hightail out of here as soon as I can

Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
Thanks guys. Now I know I won't really fit in.

But that's ok, at least I can channel my depression into creativity and as soon as I'm out a high school hightail out of here as soon as I can
Come on man, what's with the I hate everybody, everybody hates me attitude?.... You haven't even moved her yet. Relax, stop judging others and maybe they won't do the same to you.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 AM

192 posts, read 687,518 times
If you move into an area with a negative attitude, most likely it won't change. You'll constantly find fault in everything.

It's unfortunate that you have to move during your teen years but try to look at it as a positive experience. A chance to meet new people. New places to explore. It may seem like the end of the world but it's not.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:14 AM

I have to agree - yes I am a grandmother so maybe NoDa and Creative Loafing stuff does not fit your needs but there are kids here who are neither hicks nor yuppy puppy kids.

You need to relax and make the most out of it. The more varied experience you have the more intersting life is. If you want it to be a negative experience I am sure you can make it one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties