Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times

Advertisements

Last year I transferred my car and DL to SC. Of course I had to go to the tax office and then to the DMV to do all this. I'm in Lancaster Co.

So now it's a year later and I'm not sure how all this works. I got my personal property tax statement in the mail and it says that it is due the end of May. BUT....my car registration runs out the end of May as well.

How does this work? Do I get my sticker (or maybe the new plate) after I pay the tax? I don't want to wait too late so that I don't get the sticker after this one runs out, but I would really like to wait to pay the tax for a bit. Am I going to get a separate car registration charge and then get my sticker after I pay it? Hubby is going to get his license and transfer a car the last week of May. Would it be easier to just do mine at the same time since he has to go to the tax office and DMV to do his? I just really know how this all works. We didn't have the tax in PA, we just got a bill for the registration and when we paid it we got the sticker to put on.

Also, the tax form has a section for insurance info, but it also says "Not Required" under "Insurance Certification". Does that mean I don't have to fill in that section? I do have insurance, but don't want to confuse them with extra info if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
I live in York County but I think the counties now all use the same system. Your local county is going to get their tax dollars on your vehicles. On the York County notice it is broken out indicating the amount of tax due the county X $$$ and then the DMV Tag Renewal Fee is shown separate ... with a total amount due including both.

You can make the trip to your county office to pay the taxes and then on to the DMV (with your paid tax receipt in hand) or you can mail the total amount due in to the county office. Once the county office processes the paperwork they will forward the info and your DMV renewal fee on to the DMV and your sticker or tag will be mailed to you.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 PM

174 posts, read 502,028 times
If you choose to mail in your payment, typically you will get your new sticker in about 5 days. You can also pay online, but they hit you up for a service fee.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Your tax bill includes the registration and road related fees. Like others have said, you pay the tax bill, you'll get your sticker soon thereafter.

Make sure to include the correct portions of the bill when you get ready to mail it in...I found it a little confusing.

Keep your tax receipt that you receive...it's good for a tax deduction.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Thank you! I did notice that there was a $1 sticker fee, a $15 road use fee and the tax. I wasn't sure about the registration (maybe that's the road use fee??). So as long as I mail this in by about the 15th of the month, I should be OK? Don't know if I will get the new plate this time or not as I have the old "beautiful places" plate.

I'm still wondering if I could do this at the tax office and then to the DMV (go with my hubby)? Or is this something that will confuse them? He is going down the week of the 18th.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Thank you! I did notice that there was a $1 sticker fee, a $15 road use fee and the tax. I wasn't sure about the registration (maybe that's the road use fee??). So as long as I mail this in by about the 15th of the month, I should be OK? Don't know if I will get the new plate this time or not as I have the old "beautiful places" plate.

I'm still wondering if I could do this at the tax office and then to the DMV (go with my hubby)? Or is this something that will confuse them? He is going down the week of the 18th.

Yes ... you can go with your husband to the tax office and then on to the DMV with your paid tax receipt.

That is the way it was handled for years ... and during those days the only place you could pay your taxes was at the Court House in York (for York County residents) and we only had one DMV location for the entire county and Lancaster was the same way. To mail the tax payment in was dangerous in those days because you needed that paid receipt to take to the DMV and sometimes it would be weeks before the Treasurer's office would get a receipt in the mail to you.

So you had to run to the tax office and usually wait in line ... then over to the DMV and wait in line again ... the new system of mailing in your taxes and the county forwarding your payment and info on to the DMV was the result of many years of bitching and moaning by the citizens to our local Representatives in Columbia ... it is wonderful, I LOVE IT ... I haven't had to suffer through the DMV in years except to renew my driver's license.

Daughter recently did the two trips when she waited until the last week in March to pay her taxes and get her DMV renewal.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks, CarolinaWoman. That's exactly what I needed to know. Money has been a bit tight and I really wanted to wait until as late as possible to pay the taxes, but not be outdated on my car. If it wasn't for that, I would definately renew by mail. I was really, really lucky last year in that I didn't have to wait in any of the three places at all. Walked in and got my tax bill, walked down to the payment office and had no line and then at the DMV I didn't even get a chance to sit down when they called my number. Of course I had all my paperwork filled out and all forms of ID ready. I had put aside a full day to do this and was back home before noon and that included driving 20 miles each way to Lancaster.

Thanks to everybody for their info! I appreciate it.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:22 PM

153 posts, read 474,113 times
Depending on where you live in Fort Mill, don't forget that there's now a DMV office in Fort Mill, on Hwy 21 going towards I-77 / Carowinds ...

3071 Hwy 21
Fort Mill, SC 29715
Phone: 803-547-8350
M-F Hours: 8:30-5:00
Saturday Hours: Not Open

Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 PM

7 posts, read 31,394 times
When did this office open?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fucupidness View Post
When did this office open?
The Fort Mill office is open now ... they closed the DMV office on Heckle Blvd in Rock Hill and opened the Fort Mill location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties